• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stockport - London

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamesidedepot

Hi all,

I have looked at the routing guide and am pretty sure that the following are permitted routes from Stockport to London.

Stockport - Euston direct (no problem there)

Stockport - Birmingham - Marylebone
Stockport - Sheffield - St Pancras

I have also once been advised that Stockport - Reading - Paddington is also a valid route, although this was about 3 years ago when the WCML was closed at weekends.

It would be helpful to know if these are indeed all valid, as I am quite often working around London, and being able to travel back from Marylebone or Paddington on an open return would be preferable at times than getting back to Euston.

cheers
Simon

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Stockport - Euston direct (no problem there)

Yes, aswell as being the direct route it is also on map MA.

Stockport - Birmingham - Marylebone

Yes, this is on map CS and map combination CM+GC.

Stockport - Sheffield - St Pancras

Yes, this is on map combination PS+MM.

I have also once been advised that Stockport - Reading - Paddington is also a valid route

This is valid on map CS.

tamesidedepot

Thanks,

I had checked but as I only ever do SPT-EUS I was a little unsure of travelling the other routes, so thought I would double check

calc7

Established Member
I am curious to know from tamesidedepot how a tube to Euston and a very frequent 1h55 service to Stockport would ever be less convenient than one of the other routes suggested.

calc7

Established Member
He might not like the tube and/or have a fair bit of luggage to carry around.

But surely then having to change at Paddington/Birmingham (perhaps Moor St to New St) or the fact that St Pancras and Euston are on the same road; coupled with the extended journey times, means this argument doesn't hold much water?

scrapy

Established Member
The OP never mentioned convienience. They simply said preferable, might just want a change of scenery.

Phil6219

The OP never mentioned convienience. They simply said preferable, might just want a change of scenery.

That's why if I'm not in a hurry I travel from Manchester Piccadilly to London via Sheffield, sure I have to squeeze into a 185 for the Transpennine portion but it's worth it for a HST on the MML.

Never had any problems going via Sheffield from Manchester to St Pancras...

Now would Manchester - Cardiff - Paddington be a valid route to London :lol:

Phil 8-)

calc7

Established Member

I took "travelling from Marylebone or Paddington might be preferable to getting back to Euston" being an indication that travelling to Euston is somewhat inconvenient.

That's by the by, anyway - my main point is that cheaper fares exist for routes such as via Chesterfield so I find it a bit of a waste of an overpriced "open return", so to speak.

tamesidedepot

sometimes I have meetings which are a couple of minutes walk from Paddington or Marylebone so rather than spending the time getting to Euston and joining the cattle market to get on the train I have considered the alternatives, which would also I presume allow me the option of breaking my journey for a pint on the return.
My usual journey pattern is SPT-EUS then tube, but as some of my journeys will be during the Olympic period, I am trying to look for alternatives which get me closer to my final destination in London if that makes sense - plus the change of scenery will be nice!

34D

Established Member
sometimes I have meetings which are a couple of minutes walk from Paddington or Marylebone so rather than spending the time getting to Euston and joining the cattle market to get on the train I have considered the alternatives, which would also I presume allow me the option of breaking my journey for a pint on the return.
My usual journey pattern is SPT-EUS then tube, but as some of my journeys will be during the Olympic period, I am trying to look for alternatives which get me closer to my final destination in London if that makes sense - plus the change of scenery will be nice!

Absolutely - and there is no need to feel you have to justify yourself.

It may be that you have a meeting in Slough or St Albans, in which case these alternative routeings come into their own.

And yes, fine to break your journey for a pint.

Status
Not open for further replies.