• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stockport - Manchester Problem - 10-03-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Lots of services stuck in Stockport this morning - anyone know what the problem is ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
I am on the 06:16 ex Euston train and we have just passed Cheadle Hulme at 0829. Train manager says there are 7 trains in front of us and delays are around 30 min.

It's quite a bad morning to be honest for trains into Manchester.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Lots of services stuck in Stockport this morning - anyone know what the problem is ?

My first port of call is always NRE Website:-

Incident created
10/03/2016 07:45
Last updated
10/03/2016 09:24
Route affected
DownloadMapof route afected
All routes through Stockport

Train operator affected
Arriva Trains Wales; CrossCountry; East Midlands Trains; First TransPennine Express; Northern Rail; Virgin Trains;
Description
A broken down train at Levenshulme is causing delays of up to 30 minutes to trains between Stockport and Manchester Piccadilly. This is expected to continue until 10:15.
Some services may not call at Stockport.
You can follow this incident using the hashtag #Levenshulme
We want to make information better – tell us how! Fill out this online Disruption Survey
If your journey has been delayed by up to 30 minutes or more, then you could be entitled to compensation
To check your journey, please use the National Rail Enquiries real-time Journey Planner

pemma

Veteran Member
Is it a common issue with Pacers operating in multiple failing? I was on a 142+150 a few weeks ago which got stopped at a red signal at Skelton Junction and when the signal went green the driver attempted to move off but the set kept rolling backwards.

Loop & Link

Is it a common issue with Pacers operating in multiple failing? I was on a 142+150 a few weeks ago which got stopped at a red signal at Skelton Junction and when the signal went green the driver attempted to move off but the set kept rolling backwards.

It was 142003/150110 which had struck an object (understood to be an animal) causing a loss of air and dislodging something on the underframe.

thenorthern

Established Member
The fact that it was the fast line was a big issue as it meant that the local trains were still calling at Heaton Chapel and Leverhulme while the intercity trains had to run slowly behind them.

pemma

Veteran Member
The fact that it was the fast line was a big issue as it meant that the local trains were still calling at Heaton Chapel and Leverhulme while the intercity trains had to run slowly behind them.

XC and EMT do run services on the slows normally so late running stoppers can cause long distance services to be held up even when the fast is open.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
No use made of the Styal route as far as I can see on RTT.
You'd have thought the VT Wilmslow train and ATW Cardiff services could have gone that way.

PS I tell a lie, a couple of VT/AW trains were diverted via Styal, around 0830.

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
You'd have thought the VT Wilmslow train and ATW Cardiff services could have gone that way.

The first AW service affected, (0435 from Cardiff) is one of the few that has a Shrewsbury driver, and they don't sign Styal. The following service an hour later, with a Crewe driver, went via Styal.

ag51ruk

The 0756 Northern service from Crewe (which I was on) followed by the 0811 Virgin train from Crewe both went that way

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The other diversion option would be services from Sheffield running via Romiley, but I don't think this option was used.
And, in extremis, diesel units running from Stockport to Victoria via Ashton Moss.

Loop & Link

The other diversion option would be services from Sheffield running via Romiley, but I don't think this option was used.
And, in extremis, diesel units running from Stockport to Victoria via Ashton Moss.

The problem is drivers sign the route via Ashton Moss but very very few Man Vic conductors sign the road. Buxton/Picc definitely don't.

Bit much, but upon calling control I was informed that my PBO-IPS service was being delayed by a badger being hit st Stockport, try explaining that one to people!!

craigybagel

Established Member
Going to be delay minutes nationwide for that one! I wonder who picks up the bill?

pemma

Veteran Member
Going to be delay minutes nationwide for that one! I wonder who picks up the bill?

Someone at Northern is probably reading the small print of insurance policy wording to see if the train being damaged by a badger is excluded.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Bit much, but upon calling control I was informed that my PBO-IPS service was being delayed by a badger being hit st Stockport, try explaining that one to people!!

Probably easier than explaining that the chassis fell off the Pacer.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Code:
As a badger is (a lot) bigger than a pheasant, I should think it's a Network Rail risk! ;)

4.4 of the Delay Attribution Guide applies, but as a badger isn't a bird, it goes through the flow chart in a different direction.

thenorthern

Established Member
Its been a bad week for Virgin Trains on the Manchester trains apparently with trees, cracked windows and badgers.

Saying that though I have driven into Manchester a couple of times this week and the M6 seems to be 10x worse.

pemma

Veteran Member
Its been a bad week for Virgin Trains on the Manchester trains apparently with trees, cracked windows and badgers.

Saying that though I have driven into Manchester a couple of times this week and the M6 seems to be 10x worse.

Major roadworks around M6 J19 and M56 J7-8 at present due to construction of new A556 link road.

thenorthern

Established Member
Where abouts was it that the badger was as Levenshulme is on an embankment so it must be quite a brave badger.

Major roadworks around M6 J19 and M56 J7-8 at present due to construction of new A556 link road.

There were several accidents as well.

Welshman

Established Member
Its good to know there are still badgers around Levenshulme, albeit now one less.
Someone at Northern is probably reading the small print of insurance policy wording to see if the train being damaged by a badger is excluded.

Do you think they'll have to badger their insurance company to pay-out?

Status
Not open for further replies.