• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stockport to Exeter St Davids 1st Class Travel (Fridays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Good Afternoon All,

This is a Journey I have many years experience of but previously we've always travelled on Saturdays. This year we are heading off for our annual holiday to North Cornwall on a Friday in July. Favoured train has usually been the 08:16 direct XC service off Stockport but not surprisingly on a weekday the cost of a 1st class ticket on this service is eye wateringly expensive compared to what we are accustomed to paying for weekend travel. Therefore I'm looking at other far cheaper options the first one being the 09:35 XC Voyager off Stockport changing at Birmingham into the 11:17 XC HST to Exeter St. Davids. Having never performed a change at New Street for many years I'm wondering if this is an easy option bearing in mind we will have luggage and two 80 year old ladies (mum & auntie)also travelling with us, can anyone advise if this train is likely to be exceptionally busy with scrum like conditions on boarding?

My other option is via London, Stockport Dep. 07:43 Virgin service to Euston then Paddington Dep. 11:03 for Exeter. I'm sure there would be no problems on the Pendolino but rather uncertain about the GWR HST onwards to the South West having read many tales about overcrowding on this route, or would we be better just biting the bullet sticking with the 08:15 direct XC and pay the 3 figure ticket price? Any advice would be most gratefully received :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James Wake

Have you tried TrainSplit to get the costs down? Birmingham New Street should be OK as there are plenty of staff around being such a large station.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
IMO Virgin and GWR both do much nicer first class services than XC new menu or not, so if that’s cheaper then seriously I would recommend that! GWR First isn’t overcrowded often, standard is though. :)

Established Member
IMO Virgin and GWR both do much nicer first class services than XC new menu or not, so if that’s cheaper then seriously I would recommend that! GWR First isn’t overcrowded often, standard is though. :)
GWR has to be the most overcrowded First class in the South! Especially on a Friday!
I would personally go with the change at Birmingham option. If you use the B end of the platforms it makes life considerably easier when changing at New St.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Thankyou all for your replies, very much appreciated! I think the XC option is probably the best way to go then, and many thanks for the tip regarding New Street 221129 :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ll come and pick you all up in the van Mr Bridge.
I could do you a complimentary bottle of real ale and bag full of pasties.
You could even sit in the front and have a cab ride... ;)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I’ll come and pick you all up in the van Mr Bridge.
I could do you a complimentary bottle of real ale and bag full of pasties.
You could even sit in the front and have a cab ride... ;)

Get it fitted out with IC70 seating and a pretty 1st Class hostess and I might take you up on that Mr C :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Get it fitted out with IC70 seating and a pretty 1st Class hostess and I might take you up on that Mr C :D
I’ve got a pretty hostess but I’m not sure where to get one of those seats from (let alone six). I’ll have to sleep on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.