Stockport to Manchester Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.

dggar

Travelling back to Manchester from London last night and noticed a Class 150 parked in platform 3A at Stockport (about 20:55) with Manchester Victoria on the destination blind.

Is this a new service or ECS movement?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
No services run between Manchester Piccadilly and Victoria, apart from when TPE are diverted. So will be a ECS, or might be an actual service train but the driver/guard has forgotten to change the blind.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Travelling back to Manchester from London last night and noticed a Class 150 parked in platform 3A at Stockport (about 20:55) with Manchester Victoria on the destination blind.

Is this a new service or ECS movement?
I think that wuill be the wigan train that does a hazel grove and then stops in the bay until time to go to wigan

GNERman

Established Member
This thread got me thinking about the proposals for an hourly Stockport to Manchester Victoria service via Reddish South and Denton.

However, I have been thinking about this, I don't really see the point.

Reddish has two trains to Piccadilly per hour, from Reddish North.

Denton has Stagecoach Bus 201 which runs every 5 minutes in the peak and 10 minutes in the off peak, direct to Piccadilly Gardens. Denton and Reddish also have a bus every 30 minutes to Stockport and Guide Bridge.

Is there a real need for said proposed service???

Thomas6187

It will have been the unit for the 22:35 Stockport-Wigan Wallgate service, which runs ECS from Hazel Grove, after forming the 16:58 Piccadilly-HG service

Lampshade

Established Member
This thread got me thinking about the proposals for an hourly Stockport to Manchester Victoria service via Reddish South and Denton.

However, I have been thinking about this, I don't really see the point.

Reddish has two trains to Piccadilly per hour, from Reddish North.

Denton has Stagecoach Bus 201 which runs every 5 minutes in the peak and 10 minutes in the off peak, direct to Piccadilly Gardens. Denton and Reddish also have a bus every 30 minutes to Stockport and Guide Bridge.

Is there a real need for said proposed service???
Put it another way - Preston has frequent bus services to Lostock Hall, Bamber Bridge and Leyland - would you therefore advocate the closure of these stations?

Established Member
I don't see why not, plus if it takes some revenue away from the buses, all the better. If the journey time by rail was decent from Denton to Manchester, I bet quite a few people would be using rail rather than bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.