• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stockport to Stalybridge: now runs in both directions; is it still a "parliamentary" service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
I note the former Friday peak once-a-week service Stockport - Stalybridge is now Saturday return Stalybridge/Stockport/Stalybridge.

So is it still truly a "Parliamentary" service simply to keep the line open? The cynic in me notes that it's been popular amongst sad anoraks enthusiasts like me :E who do the trip simply because! Therefore, put it on over the weekend and attract more enthusiasts + the odd shopper who might find it useful = more income. Off-peak too.

Therfore I now suggest it's a regular service serving the community (ie enthusiasts, shoppers, shop workers, Geoff and Vicki)

Thus it's wont be as attractive to enthusiasts so it will be empty thus it can be called a Parliamentary train again.

Thus attracting sad ano.........<D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Saturdays only:-

Stalybridge dep. 0846
Calling at Guide Bridge, Denton, Reddish South
Stockport arr. 0909

Stockport dep. 0945
Calling at Reddish South, Denton, Guide Bridge
Stalybridge arr. 1006

How can this be seen as meeting Saturdays-only needs of Stalybridge-based shoppers and shop workers as mentioned? People in Stalybridge have the nearby large town centre of Ashton-under-Lyne to meet their needs. Stockport has lost large retail stores of Woolworth in the past, British Home Stores closed down its large store in the precinct which is now a very large Poundland store and recently, the long established Marks and Spencer store in the same precinct closed very recently.

Howardh

Established Member

Stalybridge dep. 0846
Stockport arr. 0909

Stockport dep. 0945
Stalybridge arr. 1006

How can this be seen as meeting Saturdays-only needs of Stalybridge-based shoppers and shop workers as mentioned? People in Stalybridge have the nearby large town centre of Ashton-under-Lyne to meet their needs. Stockport has lost large retail stores of Woolworth in the past, British Home Stores closed down its large store in the precinct which is now a very large Poundland store and recently, the long established Marks and Spencer store in the same precinct closed very recently.

You're taking it soo seriously. Can't you see the tongue sticking into my cheek??!!:wub:

tbtc

Veteran Member
36 minutes in Stockport seems more than enough time to go shopping there!

Depends how bad the queues are in Greggs at that time on a Saturday morning!

(seriously though, I like @Howardh 's thinking - make a service too regular and the cache of being able to ride "rare metals" will wear off - the people who go out of their way for quirky services will be bored with something as vulgar as an hourly service << I know that this route has a way to go before it becomes daily, yet alone hourly, but it'll be fun to see if members of the Anorak Community continue to flock to use it!)

Howardh

Established Member
As far as shopping goes - sometimes when you order on-line it can only be available in one shop out of many, maybe it's one in Stockport so you could catch the train, pick it up and go home!! I think it's possible to get off at Stockport - get to Decathlon via King St, they give you your advance purchase from behind the counter (doesn't even need paying for), sign and get back to the station in good time.

Geoff, Vikki...are you reading this, here's your next task!!

Kite159

Veteran Member

Stalybridge dep. 0846
Stockport arr. 0909

Stockport dep. 0945
Stalybridge arr. 1006

It's for the fine people of Denton to have enough time to visit the large Morrisons next to Reddish South for their weekly shop ;)

Ianno87

Veteran Member
How much of that 36 minutes time referred to will be travelling to and from the railway station to the Merseyway shopping precinct?

Is the McDonald's still at the end of the road up to the station (where it meets the A6). Could wolf down one of their breakfasts in those 36 minutes and make it back again...

billh

It's for the fine people of Denton to have enough time to visit the large Morrisons next to Reddish South for their weekly shop ;)
Well, us fine people of Denton have our own large Morrisons anyway , so no need of any weekly shopping train. And a Sainsbury's on the old Denton goods yard.So there!

billh

I think we’ve a way to go before Denton gets a 24 hour railway!
If you are a piece of stone, a lump of coal, a bin bag of rubbish, a transit van or a wood pellet then Denton is a 24hour railway.But not if you are potential passenger .

Crossover

Established Member

Very close it is too. Was quieter than I thought it would be when I popped in the other day before catching a railtour. Then again, it was around 9pm so maybe I just had too high an expectation!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Which towns still have large retails stores called Woolworths and British Home Stores then ?!

Now then young sir, you know full well that I was referring to these companies who made store closures in Stockport, as well as in many other towns and cities. It was the fact that Merseyway shopping precinct in Stockport was the location of both of these two premises that came as a blow at the times of their closures. The former Woolworth store was subsequently redeveloped into three smaller retail units. Fortunatly, even prior to those two closures in the same precinct was the demise of the large Co-operative department store which was then taken over by Primark.

I wonder what will now become of the very recently closed Marks and Spencer store?

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I wonder what will now become of the very recently closed Marks and Spencer store?

It is tough on a town when it can't support an M&S. Rhyl lost theirs, although a new one opened in Prestatyn, Prestatyn is certainly the better town now. Crewe recently lost theirs too. The town centre is a bit of a ghost town now. McDonalds shut too! M&S did at least relocate out of town.

Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way, The train needs to be used by the people of Stockport to visit Denton, where there appears to be more shops! And they get a whole week there!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Hoping to do this on Saturday before a train from Stalybridge to the airport. La question, c'est can I trust it to run both ways?!

Howardh

Established Member
Hoping to do this on Saturday before a train from Stalybridge to the airport. La question, c'est can I trust it to run both ways?!
Wouldn't surprise me if it was the most reliable train in Britain!!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
26 May can be discounted owing to the strike. Guessing it won't run on 23 June either?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Thanks for the confidence guys. I've planned a larger itinerary for the morning around the Parliamentary so I hope it doesn't fall apart! There's a mixture of Northern and TPE involved but it sees me to the airport at 11:10 for a 12:40 flight (hand luggage only, boarding pass on phone so quickest method possible).

backontrack

Established Member
Wouldn't surprise me if it was the most reliable train in Britain!!
Island Line?

Also - more importantly - it's a Northern service, so could they potentially cancel it that day if they needed the units?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
At the moment I wouldn't rely on any Northern service to get you to the airport if a backup taxi at the last minute is not affordable.
Actually it's TPE on the Manchester to Staly and the airport leg :D
I only realised just then when looking that the Airport train is an ex-Newcastle which skips Staly and goes via Victoria and the Ordsall Chord so I have to catch a Leeds to Picc then hop over to P13!

Howardh

Established Member
Island Line?

Also - more importantly - it's a Northern service, so could they potentially cancel it that day if they needed the units?
Could be asked if it's running during the "emergency" timetable, couldn't the unit AND the driver be better off elsewhere? But that would free up one driver and unit for, what, just 90 minutes on a Saturday, and legally they may be obliged to book a bus to cover for a handful of passengers?

IanD

Established Member
I note the former Friday peak once-a-week service Stockport - Stalybridge is now Saturday return Stalybridge/Stockport/Stalybridge.

It used to run on Saturdays before they moved it to Fridays. And I think it would run Stockport-Stalybridge in one timetable period and maybe switch direction for the next.

I think we’ve a way to go before Denton gets a 24 hour railway!

It has a 24 hour railway but spread over 24 weeks.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I suppose the move to being a Saturday service will be of use to the railway enthusiasts who work on a Monday to Friday work schedule and would have found the former Friday operational day somewhat difficult.

I still reckon if they did say 11am from Stockport and 2pm return it'd fill up in the manner of the real ale trail trains and make a profit.

Actually, maybe they don't want that :D

Status
Not open for further replies.