• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stockport to Stalybridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

clagmonster

Established Member
Does the National Routing Guide actually take into account this route? The reason I ask is that a journey that I will be making in the near future is valid via the Stockport-Manchester-Stalybridge route, using map GM amongst others, but is not valid going direct Stockport-Stalybridge. It would seem logical for Stockport-Guide Bridge-Stalybridge to be shown on map GM.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nedchester

Established Member
Does the National Routing Guide actually take into account this route? The reason I ask is that a journey that I will be making in the near future is valid via the Stockport-Manchester-Stalybridge route, using map GM amongst others, but is not valid going direct Stockport-Stalybridge. It would seem logical for Stockport-Guide Bridge-Stalybridge to be shown on map GM.

It will be valid on the once a week service because it is a through service and it's shortest by distance.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yep, it's "doubly" valid you could say. Or, more accurately, there are 2 reasons why it is valid. There are 4 ways a route can be valid: direct trains are valid, the shortest route (and up to 3 miles longer), mapped routes and easements.

clagmonster

Established Member
Perhaps I should go into more detail. My journey is not Stockport-Stalybridge, although I will travel over that line. It is a longer journey, for which travel over the Stockport-Guide Bridge-Stalybridge route is not mapped, it is not the shortest route nor is it a direct train for my full journey. Now, this means that the routeing guide dictates that this is not a valid route, yet the longer route of going into Manchester and back out is, which is odd.
My point is that I have never seen Stockport-Guide Bridge on any map in the routeing guide, so I wonder if it actually appears on any of the maps.

Spartacus

Established Member
What's the full journey you're making?

If I remember right, there is a Guide Bridge-Stalybridge easement which allows direct travel, very bizarre, and one which specifically allows travel from Stockport - Staybridge via Manchester, but it would help if we knew the full journey.

paul1609

Established Member
Ive been to another rail forums meet on the once a week service between Stockport and Stalybridge (and afterwards at the buffet) and was able to book a through Virgin Value ticket from Littlehampton to Stalybridge via Southampton Central and Virgin XC to Stockport the once a week service was shown as the suggested service for Stalybridge!

glynn80

Established Member
If I remember right, there is a Guide Bridge-Stalybridge easement which allows direct travel, very bizarre, and one which specifically allows travel from Stockport - Staybridge via Manchester, but it would help if we knew the full journey.

Correct.

NRG said:
030261 Customers travelling between Manchester Piccadilly and Stalybridge may travel via Guide Bridge. This easement applies in both directions.

Although considering this route is already permitted using map GM, the easement doesn't generate any extra validity.

Status
Not open for further replies.