• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stockton Heath to central Liverpool commute – routing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_GGG

Hi
I’m new to this forum, so apologies if this is the wrong section

I have an interview tomorrow for a job in central Liverpool

I live in Stockton heath and the job is in the Liver building, on the docks, so trying to work out my travel plans if I get the job

Never done this rout before, so am wondering what is the best route
(No train station in south Warrington)

I1) Drive via M6. M62, Park central Liverpool - done the journey a couple of times and its always busy , and parking is expensive in central Liverpool

2) Drive to Runcorn and get train
I’ve parked here for London train and parking was expensive, but no parking to pay for in Liverpool

3) Drive to Warrington central, park (£3 / a day) a get train to lime street Approx £10 / day

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gathursty

Established Member
I'd be tempted to check out either Broad Green, Hough Green, Lea Green and Widnes stations as I think all these are free parking. However some of these may be hard to get to during commuter hours.

Personally, I'd plumb for either Lea Green or Broad Green as they are easy to drive to and trains are fairly frequent. Also, these are Merseyrail stations so your season ticket price may be a lot cheaper than Warrington.

anti-pacer

Established Member
How about driving to Hooton. I believe that's free parking and the traffic shouldn't be too bad heading west on the M56 and then north on the southern section of the M53.

Trains into Liverpool every 15 mins, with the advantage of a stop at James Street, close to your potential office. Also, Merseytravel fares and season tickets apply.

Polarbear

Established Member
The cost of parking at Runcorn can be reduced by buying a season ticket. An annual car park pass costs £1200, which is a lot of money still.

Driving from Stockton Heath, you will have the difficulty of negotiating Warrington's traffic jams if heading north. However, in addition to the above suggestions, Newton-le-Willows may also be an option?

Car park at Hooton is 80pence per day, and it's a frequent service to James Street from there. As you may already know, the M56 isn't pleasant at peak hours so this may not be the best option.

Could you cycle to either of the Warrington stations as both have direct trains to Lime Street?

anti-pacer

Established Member
The cost of parking at Runcorn can be reduced by buying a season ticket. An annual car park pass costs £1200, which is a lot of money still.

Driving from Stockton Heath, you will have the difficulty of negotiating Warrington's traffic jams if heading north. However, in addition to the above suggestions, Newton-le-Willows may also be an option?

Car park at Hooton is 80pence per day, and it's a frequent service to James Street from there. As you may already know, the M56 isn't pleasant at peak hours so this may not be the best option.

Could you cycle to either of the Warrington stations as both have direct trains to Lime Street?

The M56 is OK westbound in the morning.

Newton-le-Willows would be a nightmare to get to. You'd have to cross Warrington or go the long way round via the M6 over the Thelwall Viaduct.

Last edited:

Peter_GGG

i got the job! - very pleased , its temp but for several months, going to explore the options suggested

Any new ones gratefully received

Thanks
Peter

anti-pacer

Established Member
i got the job! - very pleased , its temp but for several months, going to explore the options suggested

Any new ones gratefully received

Thanks
Peter

Well done, congratulations.

I still think Hooton is your best bet.

AntoniC

If you get a ticket Hooton to James Street, you can get off at James Street, walk down James Street to the river and the Liver Building is right in front of you

Bevan Price

Established Member
Could you get a bus from Stockton Heath to Warrington, where bus station is next to Warrington Central station ? 4 trains per hour to Liverpool for most of the day.

Unless you travel well outside peak hours, if you use a car, you will probably encounter traffic congestion whichever route you take. Car parks at Widnes & Hough Green are fairly small, and except at weekends, Newton Le Willows (& St. Helens Junction) get filled very early - Lea Green is the most likely to have available spaces after 08:00.

Status
Not open for further replies.