• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stoke on Trent to Fratton, Saturday 1st May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolf

Evenin' all,

Going down to see Wolves play at Portsmouth next Saturday and am trying to find a train to get me to FTN from SOT

Had a look on the London Midland journey planner and the cheapest I seem to be able to find at the times I'd need to travel is by buying 2 singles coming to a total of £99.50.

I'm hoping that some of you more experienced heads might be able to get that down to a more reasonable price, by splitting it and so forth.

I'd need to be there sometime around 1-2pm and looking for a train back at about 5.30pm.

I've got an unused return from London to Stoke, so I only need to get back as far as London on this fare, which will probably lower the price yet further.

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Drsatan

Established Member
The cheapest fare from Stoke on Trent to Euston is a £45 AP fare. You depart Stoke on Trent at 09:13 and arrive at Euston at 11:04

An off-peak return from Waterloo to Fratton is £27.80. You depart Waterloo at either 11:30 or 12:00 (service is half-hourly thereafter) and arrive at Fratton at 12:59 or 13:24. It doesn't matter which service you get since off-peak returns are valid on any service

Neither of the above fares include the Northern Line from Euston to Waterloo; in any event you'll find the 59 bus to Waterloo less claustrophobic. The bus runs every 10 minutes and a single fare's £2 cash.

The 17:28 from Fratton will get you to Waterloo at 19:13. Please state whether the unused single from Euston to Stoke on Trent's an AP single (valid on one train only) or an off-peak single

John @ home

Established Member
Going down to see Wolves play at Portsmouth next Saturday and am trying to find a train to get me to FTN from SOT

Had a look on the London Midland journey planner and the cheapest I seem to be able to find at the times I'd need to travel is by buying 2 singles coming to a total of £99.50.
The London Midland site is misleading you. It's routeing all the morning Stoke to Fratton journeys via London because it thinks that's quicker, then in the evening it's routeing all the Fratton to Stoke journeys via Oxford because it thinks that's quicker!

There are two off-peak return fares between Stoke and Fratton: £75.80 route + London and £76.10 route not London. The London Midland site is not offering either of these because it assumes you want to go out via London and back via Oxford to save, for some journeys, just one minute!

To display journeys at £75.80 search for Stoke to Fratton via London. Then to display journeys at £76.10 search for Stoke to Fratton avoiding London. The London Midland site will now show a wide choice of trains at these prices. In each case, the Off-Peak return is valid by all trains by the chosen route on Saturdays.

If you want to go out by one route and return by the other, buy the cheaper ticket and ask for an excess fare to allow you to travel by the more expensive route for one leg. The excess fare ticket will cost you half the difference, namely 15p!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The cheapest fare from Stoke on Trent to Euston is a £45 AP fare. You depart Stoke on Trent at 09:13 and arrive at Euston at 11:04...
Neither of the above fares include the Northern Line from Euston to Waterloo;
which is very poor value, given that Stoke - Kenny O is £54.30 Off Peak return including LU. The extra £9 is worth it for extra flexibility, and LU fares included, even if the return portion is never used IMO. I'd never pay £45 for AP + Oyster fares if I could pay just £9 more for complete flexibility and a return portion!

Some AP fares are absolutely dismal value for money and I wouldn't touch them out of principle!

thewolf

Meh. Not as cheap as I was hoping for. Was hoping to go down on the train so I could have a few beers, will have to take the car instead I suppose.

That £27.80 from London to Portsmouth seems very expensive, although in the past when I've caught trains in the south east they always have. But that's a whole different topic...

tony_mac

Established Member
It can be done for £23; but it's rather a slow option.
£13 London Midland return to Milton Keynes Central; and £10 for a Southern Daysave.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yep that would work, £23 return, would be much cheaper than driving the car! but it would be slower, as the LM service calls at quite a few stations, then you have to change at Milton Keynes and again at East Croydon, taking a train via the Coastway to Portsmouth the long way round.

Also Southern daysave would have to be booked 7 days in advance, and we're now 15 minutes too late for that!

thefab444

Established Member
Slight problem being that there are no SN services north of Shepherd's Bush that day due to engineering work. It would take about 5 1/2 - 6 hours anyway!

paul1609

Established Member
Yep that would work, £23 return, would be much cheaper than driving the car! but it would be slower, as the LM service calls at quite a few stations, then you have to change at Milton Keynes and again at East Croydon, taking a train via the Coastway to Portsmouth the long way round.

Also Southern daysave would have to be booked 7 days in advance, and we're now 15 minutes too late for that!

Normally if you are too late for DAysave I'd recommend a All Network Downlander which is valid on all the Southern Network for £12.50 and can be booked up to 2 days in advance.
There are also the Stoke to Brighton (Southern and London Midland) Advance Tickets. Currently availability on these is quite good because nobody knows about them!

However on May 1 these options are out because of engineering works.
Megatrain still has good availability on London to Portsmouth and Southsea from £4 to £8 on this day.

38Cto15E

Megabus.com (Megatrain)
Waterloo dept 1200 Portsmouth arr 1333 £8
Portsmouth dept 1745 waterloo arr 1929 £8

thewolf

Aha, that looks much nicer. Should be able to do it for sub-£30 with that.

Thanks very much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.