• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stoke on Trent to Nuneaton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi There

I'm new on the forum, but have read this section of the forum with great interest, as it just up my street! I now have purchased the new National Fares Manual (NFM01) and have a question about routeing.

Is the Stoke on Trent to Nuneaton off peak return (which is 8A BTW, costs about £28 ) valid via crewe and Birmingham. If so it would be cheaper to use this one to get from Crewe to Birmingham in the morning peak as the off peak ticket carries a 2V restriction (not valid before 0900 I think). The Anytime return is about £35. Can anyone help?

Many Thanks,

WestCoastTravel.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OwlMan

Established Member
If you could supply all the details we might be able to help.
What time do you want to arrive in Birmingham? Do you want to come back the same day and at what time do you want to return?

Peter

Last edited:

glynn80

Established Member
Hi There

I'm new on the forum, but have read this section of the forum with great interest, as it just up my street! I now have purchased the new National Fares Manual (NFM01) and have a question about routeing.

Is the Stoke on Trent to Nuneaton off peak return (which is 8A BTW, costs about £28 ) valid via crewe and Birmingham. If so it would be cheaper to use this one to get from Crewe to Birmingham in the morning peak as the off peak ticket carries a 2V restriction (not valid before 0900 I think). The Anytime return is about £35. Can anyone help?

Many Thanks,

WestCoastTravel.

This is pretty easy in routeing terms as Stoke on Trent and Nuneaton are both routeing points.

The mapped routes between them are valid on the following maps:
CC+WM
CN
LC

LC also allows you to go over to Crewe then south via Stafford, Wolverhampton, Smethwick and Birmingham to Nuneaton (also valid via Coventry)

Out of interest CN also allows you to go from Stoke on Trent to Nuneaton via Derby and Leicester

So to answer your question you could travel to Birmingham on this ticket and also resume your travel back to Stoke on Trent starting at Birmingham (as Off Peak tickets do allow break of journey on outward and return) this is as long as it was an Any Permitted ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Bear in mind that guards generally do not know what restriction code the ticket is. So, some guards tend to accept all Off Peak tickets and assume they are all valid. Some guards will assume they are all invalid if used in certain areas and make false allegations that your ticket is invalid. Some may check each validity code for each ticket but that is very rare, I've never seen any guards actually check restrictions ever! Maybe some actually know all the restrictions - but only if they have the memory capacity of a superhuman!

For example some guards think you can't use a Off Peak from somewhere like Birmingham to Colchester on a Liverpool St to Colchester train when in fact you can use any train, and make misleading announcements falsely claiming all Off Peak tickets are barred. So be prepared in case you encounter one of these individuals.

OwlMan

Established Member
If you are going for the day
A anytime day return Crewe - Stafford £9-00
A Anytime Day Return Stafford - Birmingham £9-30
Total £18-30

Peter

Thanks for all the replies.

In answer to some questions:

1. I usual go down for the day, so its good to know that the Stoke on Trent to Nuneaton ticket is valid via Crewe and Birmingham. Furthermore having looked at a previous ticket it does state "any permitted" in the route section.

Interesting to note is valid via Derby and Leicester.

2. I usually travel down for a meeting which begins at 10am, so I have to get to Nuneaton for 9am for an onward bus. Coming from Preston this is quite difficult, as there is no direction train to Nuneaton. Only trains from Liverpool and Manchester stop at Nuneaton, hence the reason for the above ticket.

When travelling down to Nuneaton for that time in the morning there is no direct service, so you have to change. The walk on fare at that time is Anytime Return at £58, the off peak return carries a 2R restriction, which is not valid before 0928. I use the following travel options to try and reduce the price.

1. Travel out of Preston on the 0554 to London, arrive Crewe at 0646 and change for the 0702 from Liverpool to London, which arrives in Nuneaton at 0747. Wait around for a hour drinking coffee or something and then go to the meeting. The first bus is at 9am so I don't have alot of choice or get a very expensive taxi! The ticket option for this is an off peak return to Stafford which is valid at anytime and cost £31.90 and then an anytime day return from Stafford to Nuneaton which costs £11.20. Total: £43.10, saving of £14.90. All valid as the liverpool train stops at Stafford on the way down. The only snag is I need to ctach a train stopping at Stafford on the way back up, but that isn't usually a problem.

2. Travel out of Preston on the 0558 to Manchester get in there at 0656. Then get the 0715 london train to Nuneaton arriving at 0829, leaving time for a quick coffee, before getting the bus at 9am. This is my preferred option because there less time hanging around for a bus to arrive. The ticket option for this is a Preston - Stoke Off peak return which costs £28.60 which is valid at anytime, then a stoke to nuneaton off peak return at £22.90 which is valid at anytime. Total £51.50, saving of £6.50. Not as good as the above, but saves hanging around!

The only problem with this option is last time I did this I got on the wrong train and went all the way to London Euston! Apparently there are two trains that leave Manchester at the same time, one goes non-stop to London (picking up at Stockport only) and the other stops at intermdediate stations (including Nuneaton). The main problem was this non stop train is not shown in current version of the National Rail Timetable, so I didn't know about it. The train manager was ve ry helpful though and on this occassion authorised my ticket through to London Euston and the manager on the other train honoured this, so I arrived at the meeting some 2 hours late!:| Oh well at least I know for next time.

If anybody else has got an alternative to the main two options I would be very interested to know what they are. It would beat getting up at 5am to get to meeting for 10am, all in the name of reducing my companies carbon footprint!!

Many thanks,

WestCoastTravel

Last edited:

dan_atki

Established Member
Another option (on top of those two) coming up at a check is:

0615 Preston - Birmingham New Street 0811
0824 Birmingham New Street - Nuneaton 0853

Though, this would only be beneficial to you if both services are guaranteed to run and are both on time...

Seems to be the only three options you have I'm afraid.

Ah yes there is that option, but if that train's late (which it usually is) I miss my bus, which result in a expensive taxi ride to the office - usual in excess of £10, compared to £3.10 return on the bus!

But thanks for pointing it out.

In addition I understand that Nuneaton may lose it's Virgin service to London in preferance of a London Midland service instead. This has been specualted upon in Virgin's winter timetable coming out in December 2008. If this is the case I could be pretty screwed for getting to meetings in the future. Unless London Midland operate a service which gets into Nuneaton between 0800 and 0845! Ah well just have to wait and see.

Regards,

WestCoastTravel

Status
Not open for further replies.