• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stolen Bus Crashes into Railings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4406012.stm

An unattended bus was stolen and driven in Norwich city centre before it crashed and the thief ran off.
The bus had been left in the Castle Meadow area when it was taken on Thursday evening.

The bus - owned by First Eastern Counties - eventually crashed into railings at about 2030 GMT.

St Stephen's Street was brought to a standstill while the bus was removed. Police say they are looking for a young, white male.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim

Established Member
I am sure some of you will say it is First Fault. It is the youth's. ;) This sounds bad - but can happen easily

David

Established Member
Jim said:
I am sure some of you will say it is First Fault. It is the youth's.
Two questions Jim, where was the driver?
Ifthe driver had left the bus for whatever reason, why didn't he take the keys?

The way I see it, the driver is at fault here.

Guinness

Established Member
Harry Potter said:
Jim said:

Looks like an Early Dart to me. Darts don't have keys. ;)

Jim

Established Member
Harry Potter said:
Jim said:

Busses don't have key's any more. They have buttons. The driver may of been on a break or something

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I've only just noticed this one. To be honest, I think this was an accident waiting to happen. Too often drivers arrive at Castle Meadow and dump the bus full of passengers and with the engine running and go off for their break. This is dangerous, illigal (it's illigal to leave any road vehicle unatended wit te engine running) and against the rules, and very frustrating for passengers waiting to board (although they often just get on, and of cource when the replacement driver comes don't bother to tell him they need a ticket :lol: ) . If they are due for a break and a driver has not come to take over they should either wait with the bus, or at worst (if they are due to take over another bus, or they will be going over driver's hours) get all the passengers off, turn the engine off and shut the doors. The worst thing is that often te relieving driver doesn't have a good reason for being late, although sometimes they are delayed on their previous bus, often due to having so little time between buses that any delay causes them to be late for the next bus, and that's before "personal needs breaks". Then again, a lot of the problem is that the driver has run early (often driving like a maniac, and causing passengers to miss the bus) to get extra time on his break, so it's no suprise the relief isn't ready (and you can bet he won't be ready to take over again at the end of his shift). It's not just with First in Norwich that I have seen this though, where my parents live drivers will often run very early (up to 10mins) then abandon the bus to go into the shop on the estate to buy fags and have enough time intown to smoke them (and that's a sister company of Trent-Barton, the many times winner of "Bus Operator of the Year").

ChrisCooper

Established Member
By the way, I had to laugh at the two other "joyride" stories it links to, one about an invalid scooter and another a trawler! :lol:

Tom B

Established Member
Jim said:
I am sure some of you will say it is First Fault. It is the youth's. ;) This sounds bad - but can happen easily

It was First's fault.

It wasn't their fault that someone joyrode the bus. It was their fault that some idiot left the bus running and unattended.

Here in Doncaster they never bother to secure buses. Drivers come in from a duty, park the bus at the town terminus stop, shut it down and close the doors then waddle off for teabreak. Trouble is when the releif driver doesn't turn up and there's no-one to remove the large bus blocking the bay for other ones. Lazy sods.

The other week we were waiting at the bus stop when a First driver parked in the stop, left her bus running and went to the adjacent petrol station to buy a bar of chocolate, a (tabloid) "news"paper and a packet of cigarettes. She then returned to the bus, gave us dirty looks and drove off!

OTS

Cockfosters said:
It was First's fault.

It wasn't their fault that someone joyrode the bus. It was their fault that some idiot left the bus running and unattended.

Point one - where does it say the engine was left running?? :?

Also in theory, if you left your car unlocked to post a letter for a few seconds , you'd be OK if it got stolen??

tramboy

Has happened in Nottingham too...to Trent Barton, but the only companies in it's group are Kinchbus, TB and Notts+Derby/Midland General. If you mean Konectbus, they just have some of TB's old buses, and a good relationship with the company.

Anyway, buses at Broadmarsh Bus Station are left on the "dead lane" when not in use...someone came along once and released the handbrake on the bus, which meant that it rolled forward and hit the wall on the entrance to the bus station...closing it. Broadmarsh, for those of you who have no idea what it's like, has a 90degree entrance and exit turn. Once someone stole a pink liveried Solo off the dead lane and took it for a joyride...it eventually turned up in the Bilborough area of the city.

Regards

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.