• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stone blower on WCML

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeS

Videoing traffic on the WCML in Milton Keynes this morning, I was passed by a "Stone Blower" travelling north at around 12:31. Never heard of anything like this before, and having googled a bit, it seems as though I might have caught a bit of history.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I was going to see it pass Stockport but I've seen them loads in the 90s and early-00s.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Videoing traffic on the WCML in Milton Keynes this morning, I was passed by a "Stone Blower" travelling north at around 12:31. Never heard of anything like this before, and having googled a bit, it seems as though I might have caught a bit of history.

I wouldn't call it a bit of history. It is a common on track machine that works all round the network. Network Rail currently has 14 plain line and three multi-purpose Stoneblowers. However as they work in possessions and move when the network is quiet you might not have seen one before. Information here:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...-machines-and-vehicles/track-treatment-fleet/

Network Rail said:
Stoneblowers restore the line and level of the track by correcting its vertical (height) and lateral (left or right) profile. To do this, first they measure the track to work out where it needs to be lifted to bring it level, and how much it needs to be moved side to side to ensure correct alignment.

Tampers and stoneblowers are track maintenance machines that make sure the track is correctly aligned and has a smooth level along the rail. They help to prevent the risk of trains derailing, and ensure smooth, comfortable journeys for passengers and freight trains. These machines generally work at night when no passenger trains are running.

Last edited:

eMeS

I wouldn't call it a bit of history. It is a common on track machine that works all round the network. Network Rail currently has 14 plain line and three multi-purpose Stoneblowers. Information here: ...

Thanks for the links - that's a very different view from the one I found which took a pessimistic view of their usefulness.

Domh245

Established Member
Neither of the references about them being a failure in the article work for me either

Veteran Member
Neither of the references about them being a failure in the article work for me either
They appear to refer to the original 1984 model anyway, the oldest current one seems to be 1995. Sorry, can't link a reference, technical issue somewhere.

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
Spark need a log in and has been reorganised so you'll need to login and search...

Status
Not open for further replies.