Stone station name boards

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by waterlooroader, 7 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waterlooroader

waterlooroader Member

A random question if anybody can answer!

On the train from Wolverhampton [WVH] to Manchester Piccadilly [MAN] and just passed through Stone; I notice that all the station name boards are bigger than required for the name Stone and that they are all printed off centre (Right aligned with lots of space followed by the name) Sorry I couldn't get a picture as my phone was in my pocket.

Does anybody know why this is?

Last edited by a moderator: 9 May 2015
  2. John Webb

John Webb Established Member

It was once know as "Stone Junction". But it had been renamed "Stone" before the 1923 grouping, according to my Ian Allan "Pre-Grouping Atlas"! And of course the original signs after renaming (whenever that was) would presumably have had "Stone" on the left with lots of space to the right. So the present signs sound to me to be a designer or sign-maker's whim.
    -----------------------Addition----------------------

Just found this picture (click on the picture to go to the larger original):
    Stone station platform
    [​IMG]

© Copyright Stephen Craven and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

This confirms for me that it is deliberate and possibly the "House Style" of the particular TOC operating from this station.

Last edited: 7 May 2015
  3. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

It strikes me as odd too - Tring for example is another LM-managed station with a short title and IIRC its nameboards are shrunk so that the name takes up the whole plate.

4. Class 172 Fan

Class 172 Fan Member

Notice the NWM branding on the PERTIS too?

The LM house style was designed by Best Impressions (of Trent Barton fame).

5. greaterwest

greaterwest Member

Seems unique to some London Midland stations though some also have centred text.

Malvern Link's station sign is similar.
    Source

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.