• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carmont (near Stonehaven) derailment - 12 August 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snookertam

If, as appears, both the driver and guard died in the accident (RIP), that might explain the seeming long delay in alerting the emergency services.
Not sure about this and probably not worth speculating - appreciate you are only putting 2+2 together - but had the train been in section for so long with no report the alert would have been raised by the next signaller. Also there were seemingly NR staff already in the vicinity, so it’s unclear if there was any long delay in alerting emergency services.

Swanny200

No, it meant what it said- Carmont signal box.

I didn't realize that there was still a box there, many years since I have been along that stretch of line and I used to do KX to Aberdeen regularly, regardless, a regular passenger with no railway knowledge may not understand what to do in an area with near to no phone signal if any in the middle of nowhere, whereas if true, a member of crew onboard did the right thing, made authorities aware and may have saved lives, even if it was catering crew for instance, they will have some safety critical training and it may have helped with this tragedy.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I'm watching it live on Sky at the moment. I see very little ballast around the wreckage, but a hell of a lot of mud.

Top left of shot from BBC posted above
a800503c-7edc-4363-811b-e040970a9e75.jpg

Harbon 1

When encounter an obstruction, the train can reserve (wrong direction movement) upto 50mph on plain line, and then 10moh over points or crossings.

I’m not saying this happened, that is the rule book instruction.

I’ve had a 12 mile wrong direction move “dead slow” would have caused undue delay to the service, oh course is the key ultimately it’s up to the driver to decide the same as proceed at caution. Caution isn’t defined as a speed.
Don't get confused with Single Line Working. Rule Book says about wrong direction movements "4.3 Train Speed: Except during single line working, you must always be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear"

Thoughts with everyone involved and affected. As someone whose been driving (admittedly only in yards) for less than a year, this sends shivers down my spine :(

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I can't comprehend the scale of damage, for a train supposedly running at reduced speed.

Another line of comment on the BBC is apparently from ORR who are saying the increasing risks of severe weather, and its consequences, are outstripping Network Rail's capability to protect the network from such events.

It must have been a very sudden impact as the driver did not even get a chance to make an emergency call on the GSM-R

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
The first visible skid marks in the ballast are actually on the bridge itself

That explains why some of the bridge parapet is in the river below. From the proximity I’d hazard a guess that at least one of the vehicles went over the bridge at an extremely skewed angle.

WestRiding

Could you possibly inform us as to what is in the Rule Book, please?
Well for a start, making a Wrong Direction move, where points are involved, is no faster than 15mph. If people are going to quote the rule book, make sure you quote correctly.

Swanny200

ASLEF guy on BBC Radio Scotland talking about a black box, is that the same thing as the OTMR, what type of stuff does that record? is it just a standard thing to prove that there was nothing wrong with the train and or driver performance ?

SamYeager

Why don't people please *read* the thread before posting? I made the same points a few pages ago. Might be NR, or might be other works - both drainage & timber works seemed to be going on prior.
WADR it's a14 page thread so it's not that easy to catch up with past info.

A0wen

On Moderation
As an aside on Sky News reporting that one vehicle "just looked like a locomotive": Sky will probably make their reporting available to Fox News in the US, where AIUI ex-locomotives are (or were) often used as control cabs to avoid having to run round. Just a thought.

Do Sky still have a content share with Fox?

Sky are owned by Comcast who also own NBC - so I'd be surprised if they were sharing content with Fox.

scotlass

Nothing to add other than condolences and thoughts to everyone involved in today's accident, to the families who have lost loved ones, to those who are injured, to everyone at Scotrail and the wider railway family and also to give thanks to all the men and women of the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, Scottish Ambulance Service, Police Scotland, Network Rail, Scotrail, the Air Ambulance and the Coastguard SAR who responded to this tragedy.

MadCommuter

Looking at the video on Sky News, it looks like there is at least one side of the 'crushed' carriage reasonably intact?

USRailFan

I can't comprehend the scale of damage, for a train supposedly running at reduced speed.

Even though I guess the rear powercar would've had it's power cut when the front powercar derailed, it'd still have movement energy for quite a while which may well have contributed to the scale of the accident :/

WestRiding

There is no defined speed for a wrong direction movement other than points 15mph no faster. Don't confuse it with single line working. I find it quite worrying that people are telling the world via this forum, railway rule book stuff, and then getting it wrong when they do. Especially worried that some of these people quoting rules work within the railway rules every day. Please please get it right. 50mph is for SLW. During a Typical Wrong Direction Move its a speed deemed safe by the driver who should be able to stop in time of trouble.

Last edited:

Swanny200

BBC showing aerial footage on their website feed now, may be the same as the SKY one as I haven't seen that one, looks like fire damage to the one carriage that went down the embankment.

GB

Established Member

The train had already crossed over to be running "right road". We don't know the speed of the train at impact.

All this talk about wrong direction moves is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.