• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carmont (near Stonehaven) derailment - 12 August 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
Careful. Sky News have just quoted this site as a source of their information. Paraphrasing “Rail Uk as an online forum for trainspotters”.
Could this have something to do with, at time of posting, almost 1500 people viewing this thread?

Tio Terry

Sad day.

My thoughts are with all affected. Condolences to the bereaved, thoughts with all those involved with the incident and recovery activities.

Trident

Sky news using an online forum as a source, words fail.
Journalists have been using online forums as an information source for 20+ years as some forums are populated by very knowledgable people. The classic example is PPRuNe (Professional Pilot's Rumour Network) which is probably the best source of "what really happened" in aviation incidents, accidents and crashes.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If anyone has any concerns regarding any post, or who wishes to contact moderators, or make any request (such as "can a post be deleted"/"can a thread be locked" please do:
- use the report button; let us know the details directly

Please do not:
- post on any thread
- reply to, quote or re-publish any such content

Thank you.

Careful. Sky News have just quoted this site as a source of their information. Paraphrasing “Rail Uk as an online forum for trainspotters”.
This forum is widely used within the rail industry and is highly ranked on Google, though I would disagree with what/who they think this forum is for, but that's not a discussion for this thread so I won't comment further on that here.

Inside information is frequently posted here, and this thread is no exception, but I would urge people to exercise caution in what they post.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I disagee - it's not our fault that journalists are being lazy.

Clearly verified facts are at a premium because- obviously- it is a developing situation and the priority is rescue not the media. But I don't blame the media wanting to provide updates to people about what is a serious situation.

I don't think the thread needs locking, people just need to be sensible. I'd rather they were reporting from here than some random ITK on Twitter!

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Last edited:

sharpley

from Twitter
EfN9FJKXoAEStNn

Brush 4

Yes, I noticed the metallic temp road in the field. That is really good forward thinking and co-ordination. BBC 1pm News about to start..............

marks87

Established Member
I’m in total shock at this. It’s a stretch of line I’ve used many times which I think is why it’s having a bigger impact on me than past accidents. As terrible as any accident is, when it’s this close to home it hits harder.

My thoughts are with all involved.

kristiang85

Established Member
That looks awful. That explains the smoke. I am just praying COVID restrictions kept this train very empty.

Jaso

I’m at a loss for words upon seeing that picture of the coaches.

Regrettably this really does appear to be as bad as it could be.

trebor79

Established Member
Dreadful accident. I guess fortunate so few people were on board. It's difficult to imagine how the coaches have ended up like that. I guess the RAIB will work it all out.

snookertam

Saw the original pic on Twitter was about to post about them (not the actual picture). Looks absolutely sickening. Thoughts with all involved and hope the driver is okay.

najaB

Veteran Member
I’m in total shock at this. It’s a stretch of line I’ve used many times which I think is why it’s having a bigger impact on me than past accidents.
I know exactly what you mean - I went to Stonehaven last Monday.

kristiang85

Established Member
Reported here, on LBC, and other news sites as 6 passengers and 3 crew.

Yes I saw, but in early reports it is often hard to verify, so I was just making a general statement. Even with 9 people on board this would be horrific.

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.

There was a similar issue following the Shoreham crash. Pages of idle speculation on PPRUNE, UK Airshow forum, Key Publishing forum etc were quoted verbatim in the press. Some journalists went as far as saying "forum user Joe Bloggs said...".

As with Shoreham, treading lightly would be my advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.