• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Carmont (near Stonehaven) derailment - 12 August 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I never expected when I joined the industry just how much these incidents would affect me and colleagues. Its a big industry so you assume you are always buffered but it's not the case.

An incredibly sad day.
We are all a big family, we are all brothers and sisters. It could happen to any one of us, so the loss is felt throughout the industry. Aberdeen depot are in my thoughts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CJSwan

Please remember that there’s railway staff, friends and families of those involved who are part of this group.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
This is a very sad incident and my condolences are with those affect by this. My thoughts are also with the emergency services who have an even tougher job with the risk of COVID 19.

Mikey C

Established Member
Terrible news, condolences to everyone affected. If we had been in normal times, with normal loadings, the death toll would have been horrific

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Don't the RAF have the bright yellow Sea Kings (or, I guess they're Merlins now) for rescue anymore?
The RAF SAR sqns were disbanded years ago and the SAR contracts given to Bristow on behalf of the Coastguard

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Don't the RAF have the bright yellow Sea Kings (or, I guess they're Merlins now) for rescue anymore?
Off topic really, but neither the RAF or RN have been involved for quite a few years. (Edit: since 1 Jan 2016) The services obviously retain their own capability.

E100

My prayers and thoughts with all involved and affected.

Good job mods too.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Thoughts and earnest prayers to everyone involved, and their families and colleagues. Seeing images of carriages on top of each other is not something any of us ever wanted to see again, sadly we are at the whim of a higher power when it comes to bad weather.

Prayers also for those who will be tasked with establishing the causes, may they receive guidance and inspiration at the critical times.

Midnight Express

According to The Scotsman:-

"General secretary Manuel Cortes said: “Our thoughts are with those caught up in this derailment, their loved ones and the emergency services and our members who are now involved in a rescue operation.
“Our union has had concerns about the amount of hours that some of our members who maintain have been doing.
"However, it's far too early to speculate whether this may have been a contributing factor to this morning's incident.”"

I think it's fair to ask why, if Mr. Cortes thinks it is too early to speculate as to the cause of the accident, he is doing just that. His comments are premature and unhelpful at this stage.

bobzilla76

They were pulled from UKSAR service about 6 years ago if i remember correctly

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/search-and-rescue-helicopters--5

The contract will enable the RAF and RN to withdraw from search and rescue activities in the UK and retire their fleet of Sea King SAR helicopters. It will also ensure service continuity when the current contracted MCA service expires. Services under the new contract will operate from 7 to 10 years and will be managed by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

al78

Established Member
Thoughts going out to everyone affected :/

If rainfall is hard and sudden enough it could be enough to cause a landslide on an otherwise stable bank. Whether the technology for detection exists or not, I would not be surprised if a subsequent investigation recommends reinforcement of every bank/cutting above a certain gradient and/or height.

In this case I think the flooding and landslip was the result of severe thunderstorms dropping a lot of rain in a short time (i.e. flash flooding).

The very localised nature of such events means one place could get an inch of rain in 20 minutes, and somewhere a km away gets no rain at all.

It would require a very dense network of sensors relaying information very quickly to be able to detect these events in real time before trains reach the affected area.

It would also probably require paying the Met Office for very high resolution local area forecasts/nowcasts to predict where the storms are most likely to break out.

The_Train

Established Member
Nigel Harris has just done a terrible interview on R5 Live.
The line wasn't good, and all he did was compound the confusion using rail-speak.
He mentioned one fatality but that was immediately challenged by the interviewer as unconfirmed.

Edit:
Tony Miles has now followed up with an interview on R4, a much more coherent story without casualty speculation.

The Nigel Harris interview was awful. Opened up by talking of them as 125mph HST's which the interviewer then suggested could have been the running speed and then claimed there was a fatality, and suggesting it was the driver, when there was at the time of his interview no confirmation of fatalities.

As bad an interview as anyone could have given in the circumstances

trebor79

Established Member
Dear All,

A quick request to think before you post considering that this is an active incident, there are casualties and that this thread has caught the media eye. I don't want to restrict what you post unless necessary but please do think about what your posting, who may read it and what that may mean to those who read outside of this Forum.

A further a plea not to jump to conclusions regarding what is or is not being done by the moderation team. This is an extraordinarily busy thread (at the time of writing there are 2,242 people reading this thread including over 900 members). I'm posting right now in a break from my day job and my fellow Staff members are in a similar boat. We are reacting as quickly as possible. But your forbearance would be appreciated. Thank to those that have reported problem posts it is a huge help to us in this situation.

Many thanks,
ainsworth74
I have edited one of my posts as a result of this - I hadn't posted any speculation or anything contentious but @ainsworth74 note made me consider for a moment if I might have a different view were I to be directly or indirectly affected by this horrible incident. I'd encourage others to do likewise.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Think we've dealt with the SAR helicopter issue now thank you. Any further comments need a new thread in General Discussion please.

RichJF

Not a rail employee, but seeing those Mk3s crumpled up like that & the power car down the bank sends shivers down your spine.
Condolences to those affected.

Goldromans

I have edited one of my posts as a result of this - I hadn't posted any speculation or anything contentious but @ainsworth74 note made me consider for a moment if I might have a different view were I to be directly or indirectly affected by this horrible incident. I'd encourage others to do likewise.
Likewise

USRailFan

Not a rail employee, but seeing those Mk3s crumpled up like that & the power car down the bank sends shivers down your spine.

Yeah those pictures... One does not want to think about what this'd have looked like if the train'd been full :/

physics34

Established Member
It looks like the cab of 43140 has become detached in that pic of the power car down the embankment. I fear the driver is indeed a fatality. Please hope im wrong.

4F89

Awful news to get home to after a shift.

Requiescat In Pace.

A sad day for all on the railway, the staff, customers and families thereof.

Jovian98

The wording has been changed to not mention the driver. Only that a person had died. Let's be careful.

Indeed, all the more important to keep a record here of what was said originally by supposedly reliable media organisations, so any confusion can be countered. I have edited the post.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member

Yes - it’s an accident like this that really drives home how much kinetic energy and the sheer momentum that is involved with running a train.

Joliver

Thoughts and prayers to all involved. A horrendous incident to deal with.
After being in the fire service for 19 years and attending rail incidents such as this before becoming a driver, I know just how hard these incidents are to deal with.

Again, thought's and prayers to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.