• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stop markers at stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I recall an occasion many a moon ago now, on a foul winter evening - raining the proverbial cats and dogs - at lewisham. It was a sardine filled Six (4+2) car unit (two on the end, i believe).
Anyway, the driver stopped - at a point on the platform, as I was in the rear car I can't say where he stopped, but it was sufficiently far enough down from the canopy to warrant several outbursts from ajoining passengers squeezing on about where the train had been stopped.

I imagine it is tricky, especially at lewisham, for shorter trains given the curvature of the platform (No. 4, I believe it was - Down North Kent line anyway).

Yes, all the stop markers on that platform have to be wayyyyyy down the platform. Otherwise the platform end signal (protecting Courthill Loop Jn) can't be observed by the driver.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yes, all the stop markers on that platform have to be wayyyyyy down the platform. Otherwise the platform end signal (protecting Courthill Loop Jn) can't be observed by the driver.

I thought it would be something like that. Thank you sir, for enlightening me.

It will not be the only place, I'm sure.

When it comes to signal sighting, there is no quibble from me. At least they don't do platform dispatch there - although, it is useful to be able to see the 'OFF' indicator illuminated in such circumstances. (note:- I don't believe lewisham has such indicators to illuminate - please correct me somebody, if I am wrong).

Esker-pades

Established Member
Would stop markers that aren't the "official" little boards count? As an example, Brigg station has no stop boards but the numbers '2' and '4' are spray painted onto the platform edge and that's where the driver stopped. I'm assuming they don't hold as much authority.

(Picture is of the number 2 spray-painted onto the side of a platform.)

Attachments

• IMG_20190518_154744.jpg
    IMG_20190518_154744.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 37

jamesst

The 3 car and 6 car markers at stations on the Merseyrail network are always observed by tbe drivers.

Fortunately the departure boards on the platforms also say if it's a 3 or 6 carriage train so that you know where to stand on the platform (and also if it will be standing/sardine room only if it's a 3 instead of 6 carriage train!).

Mostly! However the boards at Bidston are routinely ignored otherwise the guard can't see the off indicator

sw1ller

Established Member
Would stop markers that aren't the "official" little boards count? As an example, Brigg station has no stop boards but the numbers '2' and '4' are spray painted onto the platform edge and that's where the driver stopped. I'm assuming they don't hold as much authority.

(Picture is of the number 2 spray-painted onto the side of a platform.)

We have two stations on our network with these, one station you’re meant to ignore them and the next station along the same route were told we MUST use them. Again, all about route knowledge.

Saperstein

50D2FCC3-BB96-4C8D-9FD7-5CB1469B0074.jpeg

Thanks for all the replies.

I’ve often seen stop boards for certain types of traction, but usually they say, for example HST, 22x ect.

The other day at Helsby I noticed one that simply says “150 S” (see attached photo) which surprised me because I would have expected it to mention sprinters in general unless there’s something so different about 150’s?

_toommm_

Established Member
What's interesting is at Ardwick, the stop board only boards 2 out of the 3 coaches on a 323, so the guard often just local doors in the middle.

However, I've seen drivers stop beyond the S Car and stop at the end of the platform, past the signal! Surely this isn't allowed?

causton

Established Member
However, I've seen drivers stop beyond the S Car and stop at the end of the platform, past the signal! Surely this isn't allowed?

If the signal is showing a proceed aspect and the train all fits on the platform, I can't see why it wouldn't be allowed if the official stop board doesn't have all coaches on!

Tomnick

Established Member
View attachment 65059

Thanks for all the replies.

I’ve often seen stop boards for certain types of traction, but usually they say, for example HST, 22x ect.

The other day at Helsby I noticed one that simply says “150 S” (see attached photo) which surprised me because I would have expected it to mention sprinters in general unless there’s something so different about 150’s?
150 vehicles are each only 20m in length, so it’s possible that the back would be off the platform if you stopped there with (eg) a 158.
If the signal is showing a proceed aspect and the train all fits on the platform, I can't see why it wouldn't be allowed if the official stop board doesn't have all coaches on!
The only real problem is if the signal replaces itself to danger as the front of the train passes - there’s no problem with that in itself, but then the guard is having to dispatch effectively against a red, which can get folk into a bit of a spin!

_toommm_

Established Member
The only real problem is if the signal replaces itself to danger as the front of the train passes - there’s no problem with that in itself, but then the guard is having to dispatch effectively against a red, which can get folk into a bit of a spin!

There is an 'OFF' indicator at Ardwick though IIRC.

Tomnick

Established Member
There is an 'OFF' indicator at Ardwick though IIRC.
No good if the signal’s gone back to danger after the front of the train passes it though! It depends entirely on the position of the block joint, of course.

sw1ller

Established Member
What's interesting is at Ardwick, the stop board only boards 2 out of the 3 coaches on a 323, so the guard often just local doors in the middle.

The 150 board at Helsby is there because of the doors being at 1/3-2/3 and there being a Harrington hump on the platform.

Skie

The 3 car and 6 car markers at stations on the Merseyrail network are always observed by the drivers.

Always-ish. There are plenty of drivers who treat the mid platform 3 car markers more of a suggestion of where to aim for, rather than the place to actually stop dead.

6 is well observed, but not terribly accurately (there is currently just enough leeway for that to not matter much at most stations with linespeed approaches) It's going to be fun and games with the 8 cars, I foresee plenty of shuffling forward to find the right mark and the odd overshoot.

Some Merseyrail stations now have blue stop markers too, in exactly the same position as the existing black ones.

ComUtoR

Established Member
6 is well observed, but not terribly accurately (there is currently just enough leeway for that to not matter much at most stations with linespeed approaches)

+/- 1m I believe for most stop markers but might be more specific to DOO monitors. (need someone with technical knowledge to confirm)

Units also stop in different relative positions. 700's stop slightly further back from their markers due to how we align them but other units may line up directly adjacent to the cab. This could account for inaccuracy or the perception of it. DOO monitors tend to be bang on exact as a slight miss can cause problems. You also don't stop at the mark. They are there to inform you that this bank of monitors are for these length units. So your alignment is for the monitors, not the marks.

As stated. London Bridge is poor and there are a couple I religiously miss on purpose and as others have reported already, Route knowledge will account for some. Our DOO monitors can be angled slightly so you need to overshoot by a smidge to get a decent view.

My local station is a nightmare for stop boards. Some Drivers will pull short to be nice to platform staff and they stop under the canopy. Some stop short and rarely pull down to the end of the platform correctly. On a well known platform(s) this can have consequences if you are terminated or need to split a unit. 319s at Luton were a nightmare for it. A slight miss dropped you on the magnet.

They are there for good reason and you should be accurate and stop as instructed but local knowledge goes a very long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.