• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stopping short on Super Off Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevmonk

I want to travel St Albans to Lewes at the weekend and the off peak return fare offered is £37. If I use Brighton, via Lewes, as a destination I can get an itinerary changing at East Croydon and Lewes for a Super Off Peak fare of £18 - less than half.

The restriction code, FB, for the Super Off Peak Brighton ticket just says that it's not valid Monday to Friday. If I stop short at Lewes, having taken a Southern service from East Croydon, can I expect any trouble? (Apart from the obvious question of why I didn't stay on a direct train that was going to Brighton anyway!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It might be better to buy your ticket to Falmer if travelling to Lewes as a better story than going to Brighton - there is no break of journey restriction on the ticket.

Lewes is a gated station.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I want to travel St Albans to Lewes at the weekend and the off peak return fare offered is £37. If I use Brighton, via Lewes, as a destination I can get an itinerary changing at East Croydon and Lewes for a Super Off Peak fare of £18 - less than half.

The restriction code, FB, for the Super Off Peak Brighton ticket just says that it's not valid Monday to Friday. If I stop short at Lewes, having taken a Southern service from East Croydon, can I expect any trouble? (Apart from the obvious question of why I didn't stay on a direct train that was going to Brighton anyway!)
It's not clear how knowledgeable the gateline staff at Lewes are. But if you book your ticket with an itinerary via Lewes, print this off and then show it in case of any queries, there can be no credible argument you're not on a permitted route.

Breaking your journey remains permitted on those tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.