• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stopping Short

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Who has forgotten that fares are tiered?

. . . .

So you look at A to C and see the £20 is still available so buy that and get off early at B. Has the railway lost money, yes it has because the correct ticket would have been £35 (as all the allocated cheaper tickets from A to B were sold) so the railway has lost £15 on that flow.
Ah, you're quite right.
And that's not just what a naive passenger would do (naive in the sense that they would't be considering the bigger picture - they just see a low price an click on it). Others with a wish or need to change plans can cost the industry real revenue when they try to abuse their tickets.
But, what about those who are in the opposite position, who have a ticket and then (after having had it in a drawer for 2 months) have an alternative plan and want to travel further, and find that they are paying more than they need have done originally?

There's quite a few real world scenarios with Advance tickets - the most useful I find to bear in mind are the 'split tickets' which actually cost quite a bit more than the straight-though Advance ticket would have done. I can tell you that I must have paid hundreds over the last 2 or 3 years in rail tickets costing more than they need have done if only I hadn't been locked into the inflexibility of an Advance (and Advance which involved no more travel in terms of mileage, just the being locked into the point to point journey or being tied to a busy train but having to buy a 3-figure walk up ticket for the later quiet train).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.