• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

stored 90s returning to service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
can anyone tell if class 90042 and 034 are close to returning to service. I found this on the class 90 group website.

It suggested that class 90042 ok date could be next thursday. However nothing about 90034, although its says here that she is maintenance complete.

Any other stored 90s that may return to service in the near future

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Boothby97

Established Member
90042 is returning back to service, using parts from 90050.
I've certainly heard rumours that 90034 is returning to traffic, unsure if there true.

Thanks, Sam

90042 is returning back to service, using parts from 90050.
I've certainly heard rumours that 90034 is returning to traffic, unsure if there true.

Thanks, Sam

I also heard 90037 was joining 034 in its return to traffic, but like you said Sam, unsure if its true. I believe their expected OK date on TOPS was changed, but put back?

dk1

Veteran Member
034 was shown in the IANA pool & many put 2+2 together coming up with 7 because the DRS contract is about to end. Done some digging but nobody at GA has heard out. Seems locos often get dropped into a pool for no real reason.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I also heard 90037 was joining 034 in its return to traffic, but like you said Sam, unsure if its true. I believe their expected OK date on TOPS was changed, but put back?

That's interesting because 90 037 is one of only two that I haven't got the haulage on. The other is 90 040.

yummy125

There cant be many bits left on 90050 by now!

Can someone add a pic of 050 on here to see how it looks.

It gets me so mad to have 60's, 90's & 92's just rusting away, DBS should do engine swaps & repair them if they are not far too gone.

D365

Veteran Member
Can someone add a pic of 050 on here to see how it looks.

It gets me so mad to have 60's, 90's & 92's just rusting away, DBS should do engine swaps & repair them if they are not far too gone.

050 is effectively written off, having suffered severe fire damage about 10 years ago. Good if it is being used to restore 042 though. 016 was bought by Freightliner in 2005 to replace it.

Last edited:

Dreadnought

050 is effectively written off, having suffered severe fire damage about 10 years ago. Good if it is being used to restore 042 though. 016 was bought by Freightliner in 2005 to replace it.

90016 is owned by Porterbrook and is leased by Freightliner. I thought that EWS swapped 90050 with 90016 as compensation as it was deemed that it was a maintenance issue that caused the fire.

Boothby97

Established Member
90016 is owned by Porterbrook and is leased by Freightliner. I thought that EWS swapped 90050 with 90016 as compensation as it was deemed that it was a maintenance issue that caused the fire.

Correct. I believe 90016 was stored at the time anyway. Weren't the Freightliner 90s maintained at Crewe IEMD by EWS?

D365

Veteran Member
Oh ok, misquote on my part then. My apologies.

D365

Veteran Member
Absolutely depressing and agree it's kind of soul destroying to see locos just weathering away.

At least there is life left in the 60s with the super60 programme. Wish they'd do something similar with the 90s and 92s.

More photos have been posted here by yummy125. It would be best to keep discussion on this thread related to 90s which are likely to return to service - those photos just go to prove the point that 90050 is pretty much just a burnt shell now, sadly.

455driver

Veteran Member
Absolutely depressing and agree it's kind of soul destroying to see locos just weathering away.

Why?

There is no work for it and it would cost £lots to get it running again so why waste money on something you dont need!
There is no room for sentiment in business.

Southern Dvr

If it's about business, I.e making as much money as possible why not sell them on? I'm sure GBRF or DRS might have had an interest.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If it's about business, I.e making as much money as possible why not sell them on? I'm sure GBRF or DRS might have had an interest.

They are also the competition. Doesn't make sense to give your competitor an asset that they can use against you when letting them rot costs you nothing.

Now if DBS had to pay leasing charges on the locomotives they weren't using then they might give them up but that's not what happened back in the 90s.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The market has no room for anything but expediency.

Doesn't matter if they are letting something go to waste as long as it is "kept out of enemy hands" so to speak.
With the exception of the new DRS order they effectively has a monopoly on electric freight if they don't sell them.

Last edited:

tadhatter

The market has no room for anything but expediency.

Doesn't matter if they are letting something go to waste as long as it is "kept out of enemy" hands so to speak.
With the exception of the new DRS order they effectively has a monopoly on electric freight if they don't sell them.

Which makes a mockery of the whole thing then surely? Surely its in the interests if the railways as a whole for there to be some cooperation between different companies otherwise potential orders will just clog up our roads even more!

Still think its sad seeing engines going to waste. Totally understand the business logic in stripping for spares etc but I have fond memories with certain train juorneys, locomotives and rolling stock. It's all too emotional for me...:cry:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Which makes a mockery of the whole thing then surely? Surely its in the interests if the railways as a whole for there to be some cooperation between different companies otherwise potential orders will just clog up our roads even more!

No, it just demonstrates what was always going to happen at privatisation.
Why should they work together when they can gut each other and have a larger markert for themselves even if the overall rail freight market is smaller.

And remember there is a political requirement to have more railfreight so they can just demand more subsidies to keep running.

The people of this country voted for privatisation and this is what it means

Status
Not open for further replies.