• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stories about buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin2012

Does anyone remember hearing or reading any good stories about buses when they were younger? I remember one which I listened to on an audio tape where a boy went with his grandparents on a bus ride and at the end of the journey they inadvertedly left the granddad on the bus asleep.

Also remember one called "The Big Red Bus and The Christmas Tree" about some children who went with their dad on a bus to collect a Christmas tree and their journey was brought to an abrupt halt by a large tree blocking the road.

Does anybody remember either of these or any other examples?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daikilo

Established Member
Does anyone remember hearing or reading any good stories about buses when they were younger? I remember one which I listened to on an audio tape where a boy went with his grandparents on a bus ride and at the end of the journey they inadvertedly left the granddad on the bus asleep.

Also remember one called "The Big Red Bus and The Christmas Tree" about some children who went with their dad on a bus to collect a Christmas tree and their journey was brought to an abrupt halt by a large tree blocking the road.

Not stories as reality was enough.

I remember taking Bristol Ls to our local town to collect seeds and seeding potatoes for our vegetable patch and, at other times, taking Bristol Ks to the beach, and, at even others, multi-duplicate Leyland Olympics then PDs and Bedfords OBs in the Lake District in the wet on the way to 6 hour walks in the rain.

I also remember seeing a Bristol LD go backwards over grass and then a 3ft high wall in icing conditions and, also in icing, being on an RE that went nearly sideways on a hill blocking the road (and I ran back to the top to stop traffic sliding into it). I've also seen what a very large tree branch could do to the upper left corner of the top deck of a Bristol LD/FS, The tree and branch is still there today.

My opinion is that bus travel is no where near so exciting today.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Yeah reality is so much better. I remember when I was 5 or 6 and I was travelling with my parents from Crieff to Perth via Madderty on the now defunct Stagecoach 655 service. As we had left Madderty, the Leopard we were on broke down. No mobiles in those days, so it was a lengthy wait for a replacement.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

The audio tape about a grandad falling asleep on the bus rings a bell with me - did he end up at the depot? This would have been a cassette, I’m 31 and would have heard this story in about 1990 I reckon.

marshmallow

Not a story I've heard but a recent experience...I was catching a bus in a rural, unlit area before sunrise which I have never done before and I waved to the bus from the stop as usual but as it got closer, it became clearer that the bus was not stopping so I waved more frantically. Then when the bus was a couple of the metres from the stop it made an emergency stop for me, then the bus driver was angry that I hadn't used a light such as my phone to wave as he couldn't see me. I could understand his point of view, however this problem hadn't occurred to me...what can bus companies do to avoid this problem?

marshmallow

Top up the carrots in the canteen
This was a serious question, as I could have missed the bus because of this and surely this happens to other people as well. I am used to taking buses in London so have never thought of this, and another issue is that whilst London buses generally have separate doors for boarding and alighting, rural buses rarely do...so often I start trying to board when other passengers are trying to get off and it makes me look rude but honestly, it's because it's second nature to me just to board straight away as is normal in London! Has anyone else ever had this problem?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
...often I start trying to board when other passengers are trying to get off and it makes me look rude but honestly, it's because it's second nature to me just to board straight away as is normal in London! Has anyone else ever had this problem?
No, because to anyone who is paying attention it's usually fairly obvious that there are people trying to alight! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.