• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stories??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJP

Any one got any funny rail related stories??

Here is one John+D,his friend (sheddy) and I were on 170105 when sheddy pressed the emergancy alarm(by accident). There was an undercover transport cop on board and were booted of at Manchester Oxford Road. :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Gricer

I'm afraid I don't find that even remotely amusing.

Frank

EDIT: I would point out that since I posted this, the writer of the original post above has felt it necessary to edit it. I wonder why. :?

AJP

:? The full story.......

It was a sunny August day. Myself,6M60 seaton flasks and his friend went to Warrington. It was a great day 37's 47's etc. We decide return back to (sheffield for me) and Durham for the others. We hopped on. It was pretty full. We stood nr the toilets were the disabled space was. A young lad around 6 went into the toilet,and one of us said 'I think he has pushed the alarm butting in the toilet' because he had no idea what to do. The CT conducter checked out everywere. Everything was fine. Any way Sheddy (friend) was getting pictures at Trafford park when he leant over the emergancy alarm by accident. Once again the CT conducter came round. The BTP (undercover) jumped in and said we did it on puurpose because he heard us say the lad pushed the alarm so there for thought we plotting to press it. So he chucked us of at the next stop.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A group of us (I think it was me, Joy54, Coxster, HBA135?) were on a train from Cosham to Southampton when someone pressed the emergency button in a toilet, they thought it was the exit button :!:

The conductor made an announcement making it very clear what the reason for the delay was. :lol:

I really can't think how people can make that mistake :? , but it does happen. The person who did it won't be making that mistake again, for sure!

AJP

Tell me about it because of him really was the reason why we got booted of :cry:

Craig

Established Member
Trying to use the toilet on a moving 142 is always a laugh and a half... :shock:

tramboy

First time on a Mallard Mk4 set, someone accidentally pulled the "attention train crew, disabled passenger alarm activated" thingy in the toilet. It took the crew 5 mins to get to the toilet, and then they couldn't find the reset button on the panel...i pointed it out to the train manager!

Not particularly funny, but as it was the weekend somethign derailed between York and Donny, my journey was taking about 3 hrs longer than normal, so it lightened it up a little.

Cheers
Dave

ChrisM

I remember about 15-20 years ago the guard helped an old lady over the barrow crossing at Fareham when our train pulled away and headed towards Southampton.
At Swanwick the train was waiting for about 15 minutes when the driver walked along the train to find the guard and the guard pulled up in a taxi and they started arguing and pushing each other for about 10 minutes until they both got back on the train and off we went again.

Jim

Established Member
I have done the Call for Aid in a 180 bog before. I didn't notice the taps were sensor operated, & without thinking...

Coxster

Established Member
Not particularly funny but me and Dad ('The Gricer') were changing from the Northern Line to the Central Line at Tottenham Court Road tube station and the next thing we knew was we were walking down the road approximately 5/10 minutes out of the station :oops:

Craig

Established Member
A few weeks ago I was at Newcastle buying a ticket to Haydon Bridge. I was buying a priv single which normally costs £1.55 and the ticket clerk tried to charge me £155 until she realised her mistake :lol:

AJP

The Gricer said:

Frank

EDIT: I would point out that since I posted this, the writer of the original post above has felt it necessary to edit it. I wonder why. :?

I put put sheddy in brackets. Stop trying to pick faults :roll:

Ben

Craig said:
A few weeks ago I was at Newcastle buying a ticket to Haydon Bridge. I was buying a priv single which normally costs £1.55 and the ticket clerk tried to charge me £155 until she realised her mistake :lol:

should of paid it - think of the compensation :P

no stories from me im afraid

The Gricer

AJP said:
The Gricer said:

Frank

Actually it was the other bit in brackets that you changed. Still I don't want to get into an argument about it. If you find pushing the emergency button "accidently" funny (and let's be honest, it's not easy to press it accidently by "leaning over it" while taking photos) then so be it. :roll: :roll:
I'm afraid I still don't.

Frank

metrocammel

Although Ive never done it myself, the "Call for Help" alarm is always being activated in Pendo toilets, as the flush button is hidden by the toilet seat!!(Ridiculously bad planning!) so people press the nearest visible button which is the alarm, thats what that beeping is on the pendo's.

Ta,
Metro-Palmz

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ive always wonder what the alarm is. Now I know :P

TheSlash

Established Member
Most units have override buttons for the emergency alarm to allow the driver to bring the train to a stand at a better location.
For instance if somebody was taken ill in the toilet, pulling the communication cord on old stock brings the train to a stand within a mile. This means the train could stop in the middle of nowhere, then the train crew have to establish the problem, reset the pass comm, get the train on the move and arrange for assistance.
With modern stock, you can continue at full speed to the nearest station whilst communicating with the person who pressed the alarm, saving valuable time

Coxster

Established Member
TheSlash said:
Most units have override buttons for the emergency alarm to allow the driver to bring the train to a stand at a better location.
Piece of useless info #1: Talking with a ScotRail driver, this is the yellow 'blob' on the right hand side of the foot well.

Tom B

Established Member
THis seems to happen all the time on Mk4 stock - the buttons are very near each other. Bad design anyone?

jd

Coxster said:
Not particularly funny but me and Dad ('The Gricer') were changing from the Northern Line to the Central Line at Tottenham Court Road tube station and the next thing we knew was we were walking down the road approximately 5/10 minutes out of the station :oops:

Erm interesting story Cox, but how on earth did you manage that???

I have one of my own. I was probably about 8 or 9 when I was in London with my dad and my aunt, getting some SSL train. We were arriving on the platform and there was a train pulling in the opposite platform. My dad and aunt ran over the footbridge with me following behind shouting "That train is going in the wrong direction, we want a train from THAT platform!" or words to that effect, but they didn't believe me and carried on. Only after we had been on the other train for a couple of stops did I manage to get across, with much pointing at the line diagram and explaination, that we were on the wrong train!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Piece of useless info #1: Talking with a ScotRail driver, this is the yellow 'blob' on the right hand side of the foot well.

It's also like this on Chiltern Clubmans, and a similar button on FGWL & CH 165s.

Guinness

Established Member
metrocammel said:
Although Ive never done it myself, the "Call for Help" alarm is always being activated in Pendo toilets, as the flush button is hidden by the toilet seat!!(Ridiculously bad planning!) so people press the nearest visible button which is the alarm, thats what that beeping is on the pendo's.

Ta,
Metro-Palmz

It's theres for a reason as the Pendo toilets are vaccum operated IIRC. So you have to put the seat down to flush it. It's rather silly though and I think there should be a couple more signs regarding where the button is

Jordy

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
THis seems to happen all the time on Mk4 stock - the buttons are very near each other. Bad design anyone?

Yes I agree, when I went down to London on GNER, I think 'Attention train crew, emergancy passanger alarm operated' went off on about 4 different occasions!

Jordy

AJP

The Gricer said:
AJP said:
The Gricer said:

Frank

Actually it was the other bit in brackets that you changed. Still I don't want to get into an argument about it. If you find pushing the emergency button "accidently" funny (and let's be honest, it's not easy to press it accidently by "leaning over it" while taking photos) then so be it. :roll: :roll:
I'm afraid I still don't.

Frank

We didn't cause any delay or anything so lighten up

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
AJP said:
We didn't cause any delay or anything so lighten up
I am sure you meant no harm, but I don't think it's fair to say people who don't find the pressing of the emergency button funny need to "lighten up", some people may find it funny, some won't.

I think people need to agree to disagree, or simply accept the fact that not everyone finds the events as funny, and move on. There's no point arguing about something like this.

metrocammel

Regarding how modern stock stops in good places, I was on a pendo a few months ago - the Chiltern bubble meet (the first time ive been on a pendo out of Euston) and it was acclerating quite fast, then under the "tunnel" outside Euston there was a very hard braking, and I actually fell into the vestibule door as i was walkin down the train. This was due to someone pulling the emergency stop, but it wasnt a good place to stop at all, blocking many platforms, with no part of the train in the platform.
James.

Status
Not open for further replies.