• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Callum - Resulting Rail Disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Established Member
I’m in the West Country for a few days and it’s wild down here. GWR & Network Rail have done well to keep most of the trains running.

I travelled Torquay to Truro and back today and there were some delays due to 50mph speed restriction in Cornwall but not bad considering the weather here.

Totnes to Plymouth was shut for a while tonight - National Rail Enquiries website says due to damage to overhead wires?????

Going back to London tomorrow and hoping ok at Dawlish.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Electricity cable on the track I beleive cross country journeycheck now reporting train fire at Truro also.

When the line from Plymouth eastwards reopened the first train out the 16.00 Pnz/Padd had to return to Plymouth due to poor railhead conditions.
well done all staff on duty tonight its been a tough one.

londonmidland

Established Member
50mph ESR between Lancaster and Penrith imposed until Sunday due to wind and rain. I’ve got a feeling it’s going to be one of those days for the WCML tomorrow.

fowler9

Established Member
Mate was meant to join RFA Tidesurge in Plymouth tomorrow travelling from Glasgow. Been put off to Sunday now. I wish him well for the journey on Sunday. Ha ha.

mralexn

Some quite considerable delays this evening, 1C80 has just left Camborne 435 Late!, Does anyone know what time the blockade is due to start for the engineering works between Penzance and Truro?

uxm

It's causing mayhem in wales trains have been damaged while the spare trains are under PRM works.

_toommm_

Established Member
There has been a landslip near Tebay on the WCML. Survives South of Carlisle currently suspended, with the only option for travelling to London going on the LNER diverts.

AFAIK no train has hit the landslide.

_toommm_

Established Member
1M97 (12:12 TPE from Glasgow to Airport) stuck behind a block along with 1M13 (Virgin from Glasgow at 12:40).

1S61 (13:10 TPE to Glasgow) stuck behind a flood just past Oxenholme.

_toommm_

Established Member
On 1M16 beyond Penrith heading south, going alright so far..

There's a block at Penrith at the moment - it's only on the southbound track so you may be able to wrong rail past the block.

From the pictures on the VT Twitter, the flood only really affects one of the tracks

Darandio

Established Member
On 1M16 beyond Penrith heading south, going alright so far..

Alright apart from being 80 minutes late? :lol:

It's strange actually, no announcement of re-opening and the line is showing as closed yet you are hurtling towards it. Unless they are going bi-directional as the images only show the track slightly blocked on one line.

_toommm_

Established Member
1M16 is your train on the left, the **** on the right is what signallers use to show there's a track block. The block extends all the way down to Penrith.

There's been one northbound freight run through but that incurred a 90 minute delay.

Screenshot_20181013-183514_Chrome.jpg

_toommm_

Established Member
Alright apart from being 80 minutes late? :lol:

It's strange actually, no announcement of re-opening and the line is showing as closed yet you are hurtling towards it. Unless they are going bi-directional as the images only show the track slightly blocked on one line.

It's now approaching the last crossover point before the block so let's see...

_toommm_

Established Member
Good luck...
For the partially sighted, the photo is a track diagram of the flooded area, showing a user's train about to approach a blockage on the track.

Screenshot_20181013-184544_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Just like to point out: lovely weather down on the south coast. Iow particularly nice. ;)

Hope everyone both on trains and trying to fix issues gets home safely.

alastair

NRE now saying lines have reopened:

In addition to this, a landslip has occurred between Oxenholme Lake District and Penrith North Lakes.

All lines have now reopened, however, a further speed restriction has been imposed on services travelling towards Oxenholme Lake District from Penrith North Lakes.

Services in both directions are still expected to be severely disrupted and may still be cancelled or delayed by up to 60 minutes.

IM16 now 124L at Oxenholme

londonmidland

Established Member
1M16 was the train I was on from Glasgow. Around 16:00 it left.

Advertised at Glasgow that it was cancelled but staff said it was going to go as far as Carlisle with rail replacement coaches to Preston.

Train terminated at Carlisle before virtually the whole of Carlisle station decided to board it as anyone going south, regardless of their final destination, was told to board it.

Full and standing as you can imagine and it has had to be one of the slowest journeys I’ve ever been on, especially having that 5mph ESR.

_toommm_

Established Member

Advertised at Glasgow that it was cancelled but staff said it was going to go as far as Carlisle with rail replacement coaches to Preston.

Train terminated at Carlisle before virtually the whole of Carlisle station decided to board it as anyone going south, regardless of their final destination, was told to board it.

Full and standing as you can imagine and it has had to be one of the slowest journeys I’ve ever been on, especially having that 5mph ESR.

5mph!! Guessing that was over the flood?

londonmidland

Established Member
It was for a considerable amount of time between Oxenholme and Penrith and on top of that there was a 50mph speed blanket between Carlisle and Preston pretty much.

_toommm_

Established Member
It was for a considerable amount of time between Oxenholme and Penrith and on top of that there was a 50mph speed blanket between Carlisle and Preston pretty much.

Aye. My train (1S52, just before the flood) lost half an hour, including a SSO at Penrith.

Kyaw Zaya

Hi,

I am new to this forum. Can I ask you all about compensation for train cancellation due to Storm Callum today? Our train from Edinburgh to Preston was cancelled due to weather conditions and so we had to stay overnight at hotel. My query is whether we can claim back hotel fee or not. If it is so, how can we claim for that?
If anyone of you know about this question, please kindly let me know. Many thanks!

_toommm_

Established Member
Hi,

I am new to this forum. Can I ask you all about compensation for train cancellation due to Storm Callum today? Our train from Edinburgh to Preston was cancelled due to weather conditions and so we had to stay overnight at hotel. My query is whether we can claim back hotel fee or not. If it is so, how can we claim for that?
If anyone of you know about this question, please kindly let me know. Many thanks!

Was your train the last one of the day that was cancelled, or was there no other options for you to get South?

It would be worth using the 'contact us' form on the website of the company you travelled with (either Virgin Trains or TransPennine), explaining your predicament including your tickets and a receipt for the bill.

It may take a bit of to-ing and fro-ing, but with the level of disruption yesterday, I'd fail to see how they could argue with you to be honest. Just be polite of course and be aware they may take longer to respond than normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.