• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Jorge

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Difficulties in South Wales have started with wholesale flooding and almost every route affected

NRE currently showing

Incident created
28/02/2020 13:28
Last updated
28/02/2020 14:46
Route affected

South West Wales

Train operator affected
CrossCountry; Great Western Railway; Transport for Wales;
Description
Storm Jorge will bring heavy rain and strong wind this weekend. The Met Office have a yellow weather warning in place for parts of Wales. Disruption is expected to a number of routes in the South West of Wales. As a result of this, trains may be cancelled, delayed or revised.

Current disruptions:

Cardiff Queen Street - Bargoed

Heavy rain flooding the railway between Llanishen and Lisvane & Thornhill is causing disruption to journeys between Cardiff Queen Street and Bargoed.

You may use your tickets on Cardiff Bus services.

Radyr - Pontypridd

Heavy rain flooding the railway at Trefforest is causing disruption to journeys between Radyr and Pontypridd. As a result, trains maybe be cancelled or revised to start / terminate from Radyr.

CrossKeys - Ebbw Vale Town

Trains are unable to run between Crosskeys and Ebbw Vale Town. You may use your tickets on Stagecoach Buses.

Carmarthen - Cardiff Central

Heavy rain flooding the railway at multiple locations between Carmarthen and Cardiff Central.

Great Western Railway customers may use their tickets on the X2 Cymru Clipper bus service. Tickets will also be valid for travel tomorrow.

Transport for Wales customers may use their tickets on First Buses.

Vale of Glamorgan

All lines are closed on the Vale of Glamorgan route.

Gloucester - Chepstow

A landslip at Lydney means that trains running between Gloucester and Chepstow may be cancelled, delayed or diverted between Newport and Cheltenham Spa.

CrossCountry customers may use their tickets on Great Western Railway and Transport for Wales services via any reasonable route.

Check before you travel:
You can check your journey using the National Rail Enquiries real-time Journey Planner

There were trains diverted via VOG and having to turn back to Cardiff

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Severn and Dyfi river levels have started to rise so I suspect we can expect more problems on the Cambrian.

1955LR

From NRE just now:-
Newport - Hereford

Heavy rain has flooded the railway between Cwmbran and Abergavenny, blocking all lines. As a result, trains between Newport and Hereford may be cancelled or delayed.

Cardiff123

Established Member
The line has now reopened at Trefforest, with trains running to Pontypridd, and it looks like trains can go as far as Rhoose on the VoG

Techniquest

Veteran Member
From NRE just now:-
Newport - Hereford

Heavy rain has flooded the railway between Cwmbran and Abergavenny, blocking all lines. As a result, trains between Newport and Hereford may be cancelled or delayed.

And as it's rained since just before sunrise in Hereford and most of the day it's not been light rain either, I'd expect the railway to be washed away again. It's only been open again a few days after the last rebuild works...It's still raining by the looks of it too, joy oh joy oh joy, another weekend of chaos...

Can someone turn off that fan and the infernal shower now please?!

Cardiff123

Established Member
And as it's rained since just before sunrise in Hereford and most of the day it's not been light rain either, I'd expect the railway to be washed away again. It's only been open again a few days after the last rebuild works...It's still raining by the looks of it too, joy oh joy oh joy, another weekend of chaos...

Can someone turn off that fan and the infernal shower now please?!
Nope, the line between Cwmbran and Abergavenny re-opened around 4:45pm. Very lucky.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The Marches route is now closed between Hereford and Abergavenny due landslip. Also away from South Wales Shrewsbury to Machynlleth is now closed again 2 days after re-opening following a weeks closure

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nope, the line between Cwmbran and Abergavenny re-opened around 4:45pm. Very lucky.

Lucky is right, I would expect it to shut again during the weekend though. I've just looked out of the window, it's actually stopped raining in Hereford! :D

The Marches route is now closed between Hereford and Abergavenny due landslip. Also away from South Wales Shrewsbury to Machynlleth is now closed again 2 days after re-opening following a weeks closure

That section south of Hereford's not long been back open either, only a few days, certainly not good news for the route which has also been suffering with issues in the Shrewsbury area this week.

I'm so very glad my commute is on foot and that I have wellies ready...

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Cambrian now re-opened

glenbogle

I managed to get on the WAG - last train through before the landslide - unfortunately we failed at Chester!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Some lines in South Wales this morning opening and closing again and vice versa but difficulty in sourcing buses for some route. The Cambrian Coast line is closed again now,

Status
Not open for further replies.