• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Katie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Another weather-related heads-up from me.

Storm Katie could unleash some strong gales on us soft Southerners late Sunday night and into the early hours of Bank Holiday Monday.

It's perfectly time to avoid major disruption but if you're heading out first thing Monday in East Anglia and Southern and Central counties, you may want to keep any eye on forecasts and the NR website.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wivenswold

Established Member
A lot of old weather sayings are rubbish but there's a lot of truth to the April showers one. The sun is getting strong sucking moisture up while the jet stream (which generally heads North towards Iceland over Summer) is still over us which pushes low pressure our way creating some spectacular showers.

Sorry, I'm very dull on the subject.

najaB

Veteran Member
How is it possible to be surprised by windy weather in March.

The old adage is "March winds, April showers"
I don't think anyone is surprised by it, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't take precautions and be prepared for when it does happen. :roll:

Darren R

Established Member
Some old sayings, weather or otherwise, would indeed cause much consternation when attempting to understand the original words, such as...
"Ne'er cast a clout till May be out"

Slightly off-topic, but the pedant in me feels compelled to point out that the saying should actually be "Ne'er cast a clout 'til the may be out," referring to the blossom rather than the month.

(Sorry, I'll fetch my clout now.) :lol:

Carlisle

Established Member
Another weather-related heads-up from me.

Storm Katie could unleash some strong gales on us soft Southerners late Sunday night and into the early hours of Bank Holiday Monday. .

That's OK as long as it stays down there cos we don't need any more storms in Cumbria this year :D

Wivenswold

Established Member
Slightly off-topic, but the pedant in me feels compelled to point out that the saying should actually be "Ne'er cast a clout 'til the may be out," referring to the blossom rather than the month.

(Sorry, I'll fetch my clout now.) :lol:

Yep, we had frost in June a couple of years ago. And you're absolutely right about it referring to blossom.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Storm Katie battering Penzance right now - well, driving rain, strong SW winds, sea coming over the Prom. Just a typical Spring evening here imo.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Looking pretty bad right along the south coast at the moment. A few trees will be down in the morning. Also worth keeping an eye on a possible "sting jet" event as the storm clears NE around dawn. Could bring a line of damaging gusts from Lincolnshire down to North London.

LeylandLen

Is she, Katie , having any averse effect on Network Rails various upgrades and improvements to the railways over this Easter? Calm but damp ( usual Bank Holiday weather )here in Lancashire).. I hear tress down over tracks in Kent, Dartford crossing close due to high winds,..

Phil.

Established Member
A lot of old weather sayings are rubbish but there's a lot of truth to the April showers one. The sun is getting strong sucking moisture up while the jet stream (which generally heads North towards Iceland over Summer) is still over us which pushes low pressure our way creating some spectacular showers.

Sorry, I'm very dull on the subject.

January bring the snow,
makes your feet and fingers glow.
February's ice and sleet,
freeze the toes right off your feet
Welcome March with wintry wind
would thou weren't so unkind.
April brings the sweet rain showers,
on and on for hours and hours.
Farmers fear unkindly May,
frost by night and hail by day.
June just rains and never stops,
thirty days and spoils the crops.
In July the sun is hot,
is it shining? No it's not.
August cold and dank and wet,
brings more rain than any yet.
Bleak September's mist and mud,
is enough to chill the blood.
Then October adds a gale,
wind and slush and rain and hail.
Dark November brings the fog,
should not do it to a dog.
Freezing wet December then,
bloody January again!

Flanders and Swann after Sarah Coleridge.

MrB

Southeastern seem to have had a lot of obstructions on their lines this morning! They also had a reported fire in Sevenoaks tunnel too.

They'll be thankful this isn't a work day!

D1009

Established Member
January bring the snow,
makes your feet and fingers glow.
February's ice and sleet,
freeze the toes right off your feet
Welcome March with wintry wind
would thou weren't so unkind.
April brings the sweet rain showers,
on and on for hours and hours.
Farmers fear unkindly May,
frost by night and hail by day.
June just rains and never stops,
thirty days and spoils the crops.
In July the sun is hot,
is it shining? No it's not.
August cold and dank and wet,
brings more rain than any yet.
Bleak September's mist and mud,
is enough to chill the blood.
Then October adds a gale,
wind and slush and rain and hail.
Dark November brings the fog,
should not do it to a dog.
Freezing wet December then,
bloody January again!

Flanders and Swann after Sarah Coleridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eT40eV7OiI&spfreload=10

HowardGWR

Established Member
There is a landslide at Templecombe, so I wonder if SWT will run all Exeter services via Yeovil PM, Castle Cary and Westbury from tomorrow (with buses Salisbury to Yeovil)?

D6975

Established Member
Didn't get much of it here in Bristol, a bit windy last night but that's all.

Sad news from Harlow.

Makes you wonder what they were thinking, allowing a bouncy castle to be in use when there's a storm warning.

D1009

Established Member
There have been no trains between Salisbury and Exeter today apart from the 0510 from Exeter which got as far as Axminster. I see now that trains are running between Salisbury and Gillingham. There have been no replacement bus services as far as I am aware, and passengers were being sent by taxi to GW route stations.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The light breeze at Sandy ECML has typically brought the wires down.

Not quite as wild as the south coast, but the Cambridge weather station was recording gusts over 60mph this morning

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.