• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stourbridge Crown Centre car park demolished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
From Express and Star

Video - http://www.youtube.com/embed/_W-XJU6FJrE

Going, going, gone – a multi-storey car park in a Black Country town came to an explosive end as it was reduced to rubble to herald a milestone in a multi-million regeneration project.

The skyline of Stourbridge was changed forever as the building was demolished within seconds using powerful explosives yesterday.

Contractors were today beginning the task of clearing the site of around 9,000 tons of rubble and reopening town centre streets to commuters and traders. The car park and neighbouring Crown Centre are being demolished to make way for a new £50 million shopping centre and Tesco store.

More than 120 people had to be evacuated from nearby homes including Baylie Court at 8am ahead of the car park’s explosive finale two hours later. Many were at St Thomas’s Church Hall, in Market Street, where food and hot drinks had been laid on by construction firm Bowmer and Kirkland.

Retired fashion designer Joann Willetts, aged 83, was one of those evacuated from Baylie Court, and added: “I’m glad it has gone. I’m just hoping that the new building there is better to look at.” About 30kg of high speed ex-plosives were laid inside the ailing concrete car park by demolition experts.

A huge plume of dust was sent into the sky when the car park was brought down to gasps from those who had gathered behind cordons to watch.

Dudley Council leader, Councillor Les Jones, today said Bell Street car park was an eyesore, adding: “This is a very visible sign that change is happening in Stourbridge.”

Work to clear the site is expected to take four weeks while demolition of the neighbouring Crown Centre continues at the same time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Would this have been the car park to the Crystal leisure centre?

Yes indeed it's Bell Street. The one attached to the Ryemarket shopping centre is still under DMBC control and still open!

I say RIP Bell Street MSCP. I'll miss the complaints about you :(

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
Slightly OT but still with blowing things up - Richborough power station cooling towers in Kent got demolished the other week. You could see it for miles and is such as shame as even though the cooling towers may have beena bit bleak they looked great on the skyline as a focal point.

There should be a vid on youtube

David

Established Member
Slightly OT but still with blowing things up - Richborough power station cooling towers in Kent got demolished the other week. You could see it for miles and is such as shame as even though the cooling towers may have beena bit bleak they looked great on the skyline as a focal point.

There should be a vid on youtube

It's on the BBC website .... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17333125

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Having watched the video linked at the top, I thought it was odd seeing the demolition of a multi-storey car park, only to be filmed from another one. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.