• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stourbridge Junction Slow Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroman62

For the past 9 months I have had to travel quite a few times to Kidderminster from Birmingham Snow Hill. I have noticed on approaching Stourbridge Junction from Birmingham (and going the other way) the trains runs very slowly approaching the points. I think I have spotted some speed restriction signs. Is this a permanent slow line speed area or temporary? Does anyone know why the area is low speed, is it poor track, tight curves or the nature of the points in the area?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Established Member
There's a 15mph restriction across Sturbridge North junction from the cradley heath lines. Seems like they'd have made that the faster for route at some point in the 50 odd years since they stopped the passenger trains going the other way, but apparently not

Ianno87

Veteran Member
There's a 15mph restriction across Sturbridge North junction from the cradley heath lines. Seems like they'd have made that the faster for route at some point in the 50 odd years since they stopped the passenger trains going the other way, but apparently not

It's not just the junction - the whole route practically goes around practically a right angled 90 degree corner which is probably just as big a reason for the restriction as the junction itself

takno

Established Member
It's not just the junction - the whole route practically goes around practically a right angled 90 degree corner which is probably just as big a reason for the restriction as the junction itself
That would make sense. Having gone along the route hundreds of times over the years, and as recently as this afternoon, I'd honestly never noticed

Harbornite

Established Member
Look at how tight the curve is on google earth, that's probably the reason right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.