Strange London to Hastings routing.

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Joshw83, 15 Apr 2019.

1. Joshw83

Joshw83 New Member

Hi, Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I found this extremely weird routing for London to Hastings on the NR enq ticket engine.
    Screenshot_20190415_221821.jpg

I was wondering if this is actually a usable ticket and more if I can miss the xc connection at Oxford and not get fined by the guard for having an "invalid" itinerary. (Even though its an anytime open ticket)

I'm definitely interested in doing it so I'm hoping it's usable (even if it causes some confusion at the Marylebone barriers.)

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. alistairlees

alistairlees Member

I managed to replicate this last night by putting in "via Oxford". Haven't had time to look into why it does this though. Even with an itinerary I am sure you will be challenged on this - it's so obviously off-route. A few people will be along in a moment to tell you that it's nevertheless valid though.

4. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It's valid at the moment, but obviously not for much longer as it's been exposed on here, so it will be fixed soon.

5. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

if you are sold a ticket with a particular itinerary and you travel in accordance with that itinerary, your ticket is valid.
    It would be unlawful for an XC Guard to charge you any additional payment.
    If the website you purchase the ticket from issues an itinerary, then yes.

But you may find it fixed before you can buy it, as the error has been exposed.

6. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Would that ticket even work the barriers at Marylebone?

(So unless you are using another ticket to bypass the barriers, you will be straight up for a fight if the Chiltern RPIs are floating around Marylebone, not to mention the potential hassle you might get from the guard on the GWR service from Reading to Redhill).

7. robbeech

robbeech Established Member

It’s unlikely to work the MYB barrier but there’s very little they can do without being unlawful as mentioned. Of course, they’re likely to be unlawful because they’ll get away with it.

8. Nick Nation

Nick Nation Member

Hi Josh, I'm wondering why you got that result - it clearly doesn't recognise the existence of the Underground! Did you search specifying 'avoid Underground' or something like that? Would make a good railtour though!

9. akm

akm Member

You can make it do this by specifying a via point of Oxford. With this, it also offers itineraries Marylebone - Oxford - Paddington - Tube - a south London terminal - Hastings, though with these it doesn't offer a single through ticket.

10. alistairlees

alistairlees Member

Just read post #2?

11. paddington

paddington Member

Either I'm doing something wrong or it was fixed in the past hour.

I believe at least MYB-OXF and OXF-RDG are reservable, so if the website was able to produce this itinerary and reserve seats the ticket might have more chance of being accepted without hassle?

12. Starmill

Starmill Events Co-ordinator

London Terminals to Redhill single at £11.40 still shown as valid via Oxford by NRE to me.

13. Old Shire

Old Shire Member

For another weird trip to Hastings. Try Havant to Hastings via Edenbridge return!

14. JB_B

JB_B Member

What routes did you have in mind?