• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strange London to Hastings routing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshw83

Hi, Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I found this extremely weird routing for London to Hastings on the NR enq ticket engine.
Screenshot_20190415_221821.jpg

I was wondering if this is actually a usable ticket and more if I can miss the xc connection at Oxford and not get fined by the guard for having an "invalid" itinerary. (Even though its an anytime open ticket)

I'm definitely interested in doing it so I'm hoping it's usable (even if it causes some confusion at the Marylebone barriers.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
I managed to replicate this last night by putting in "via Oxford". Haven't had time to look into why it does this though. Even with an itinerary I am sure you will be challenged on this - it's so obviously off-route. A few people will be along in a moment to tell you that it's nevertheless valid though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's valid at the moment, but obviously not for much longer as it's been exposed on here, so it will be fixed soon.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was wondering if this is actually a usable ticket
if you are sold a ticket with a particular itinerary and you travel in accordance with that itinerary, your ticket is valid.
and more if I can miss the xc connection at Oxford and not get fined by the guard for having an "invalid" itinerary. (Even though its an anytime open ticket)
It would be unlawful for an XC Guard to charge you any additional payment.
I'm definitely interested in doing it so I'm hoping it's usable (even if it causes some confusion at the Marylebone barriers.)
If the website you purchase the ticket from issues an itinerary, then yes.

But you may find it fixed before you can buy it, as the error has been exposed.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Would that ticket even work the barriers at Marylebone?

(So unless you are using another ticket to bypass the barriers, you will be straight up for a fight if the Chiltern RPIs are floating around Marylebone, not to mention the potential hassle you might get from the guard on the GWR service from Reading to Redhill).

robbeech

Established Member
Would that ticket even work the barriers at Marylebone?

(So unless you are using another ticket to bypass the barriers, you will be straight up for a fight if the Chiltern RPIs are floating around Marylebone, not to mention the potential hassle you might get from the guard on the GWR service from Reading to Redhill).

It’s unlikely to work the MYB barrier but there’s very little they can do without being unlawful as mentioned. Of course, they’re likely to be unlawful because they’ll get away with it.

Nick Nation

Hi, Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I found this extremely weird routing for London to Hastings on the NR enq ticket engine.

Hi Josh, I'm wondering why you got that result - it clearly doesn't recognise the existence of the Underground! Did you search specifying 'avoid Underground' or something like that? Would make a good railtour though!

akm

Hi Josh, I'm wondering why you got that result - it clearly doesn't recognise the existence of the Underground! Did you search specifying 'avoid Underground' or something like that? Would make a good railtour though!

You can make it do this by specifying a via point of Oxford. With this, it also offers itineraries Marylebone - Oxford - Paddington - Tube - a south London terminal - Hastings, though with these it doesn't offer a single through ticket.

alistairlees

Established Member
Just read post #2?

paddington

Either I'm doing something wrong or it was fixed in the past hour.

I believe at least MYB-OXF and OXF-RDG are reservable, so if the website was able to produce this itinerary and reserve seats the ticket might have more chance of being accepted without hassle?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Either I'm doing something wrong or it was fixed in the past hour.

I believe at least MYB-OXF and OXF-RDG are reservable, so if the website was able to produce this itinerary and reserve seats the ticket might have more chance of being accepted without hassle?
London Terminals to Redhill single at £11.40 still shown as valid via Oxford by NRE to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.