• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strange things seen from train windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

OuterDistant

• A house near Cheadle Hulme with a garden full of Rover P6s
  • In roughly the same area IIRC, a garden full of railway memorabilia, including a couple of loco cabs!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyvern

Established Member
On the way to Colwyn Bay, a full size sea-going ship in the middle of a field, or so it seemed.

Discovered later that it is even shown in "Quail" - the "Duke of Lancaster"

http://www.hhvferry.com/dukeoflanc.html

dukelanc2004a.jpg

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Seen a Lincolnshire farmer at Sibsey crawling around a muddy paddock wearing nothing but wellies and red budgie smugglers.
He seemed to be heading towards a very worried looking pig!
Mercifully i was doing 60 and didnt see what, if anything, followed :o

If you hadn't included Lincolnshire I wouldn't have believed you, but round here it seems anything goes :lol:

On another point, where are you guys travelling? I never see stuff like this - though in most of the situations described I'm quite relieved. :lol:

Shimbleshanks

Years ago saw a leopard or a cheetah in a cutting near Streatham from a 4-CIG. The rest of the compartment thought I'd gone mad when I shouted out - by the time they'd looked up from their newspapers it was long gone. as we doing about 60. An escaped exotic pet perhaps?

tempests1

Years ago saw a leopard or a cheetah in a cutting near Streatham from a 4-CIG. The rest of the compartment thought I'd gone mad when I shouted out - by the time they'd looked up from their newspapers it was long gone. as we doing about 60. An escaped exotic pet perhaps?

Could have been a BTP initiative for sorting out the cable thieves, no better deterrent than the thought of getting eaten alive by a Police Leopard!!! :D although they may have been better utilised on the Catford Loop

Established Member
Just outside Larbert there's a yard full of old Land Rovers. It's grown a bit since that photo was taken.

Not strange, but a couple having sex in the bushes, obscured from the public in Princess St Gardens, but in full view of the passangers in the stopped trains on the gardens at the Waverley. He He.:)

Along similar lines, a story from a colleague at my old office, when she was commuting through from Glasgow one morning, on that same bit next to Princes Street Gardens, there was a homeless person in the bushes, arse towards the tracks, having a dump next to the fence.

Also, it's Princes, not Princess. ;)

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Along similar lines, a story from a colleague at my old office, when she was commuting through from Glasgow one morning, on that same bit next to Princes Street Gardens, there was a homeless person in the bushes, arse towards the tracks, having a dump next to the fence.

Well since it was Edinburgh, it was probably just a ordinary resident. :D

Wyvern

Established Member
A few years ago I was on a train travelling south after Chesterfield and some people opposite said "What's that?"

It was the remains of the Avenue carbonisation plant and they were genuinely shocked.

"Blimey" I thought "When I was young the scenery was like that for at least the last fifty miles."

Schnellzug

Established Member
I've seen a couple of Crop Circles, although it may have just been from where someone was driving a Tractor round in circles, perhaps, I suppose. :|

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
"Blimey" I thought "When I was young the scenery was like that for at least the last fifty miles."

Fifty miles? You were lucky. We had to travel through 200 miles of coal bings and slag heaps just to get to school. :D

Clip

Established Member
When I was on a steam trip over in NZ as we moved along this gorge just over the other side was the roadway. But from where we could see it looked like it was only being held up by big chunks of wood..

I didnt want to imagine what the railway was being held up with

Ploughman

Established Member
I was walking the track (officially) between Speeton and Bridlington when I saw 2 tigers loose in the field at the bottom of the embankment just south of the Sewerby road LC.

I was a bit worried when they spotted me but then realised they were in a very large enclosure as part of the travelling circus parked up for the week.

D6975

Established Member
I once saw an EMU coach (CEP I think) on its side at the bottom of an embankment. It was on the Glos and Warwickshire. I found out later that it had been used for filming something for TV and was awaiting retrieval.

The most majestic thing was a Golden Eagle between Garve and Achnasheen. Sat on a fencepost by the line, it flew off as the 37 approached.

Davidj1178

a guy dressed an a brilliant BANANAMAN costume running up and down the opposite platform waving at us all on the train

It wasn't halloween

ReverendFozz

Once on a train, a carriage full of people had the displeasure of having to listen to a group of blokes play the ukelele, thinking they sound like George Formby...very strange!!!

stockport1

just before liverpool south parkway there are two fake owls sat on the OHL.

need i say the first time i saw them i thought they were real :)

MKB

Strange things seen from windows?

- the overhead cables banging loudly and violently against them!

This was on an intercity Coventry to Euston train around 1986. Somehow the pantagraph had managed to pull down the cables. The outer pane of the window at my seat was smashed, but fortunately the inner pane stayed intact. In another carriage, another passenger was not so lucky and was badly cut. About three windows were smashed in total I think.

We'd been going full speed when it happened and I couldn't work out at first what the black linear shadow banging against the train was. The emergency braking was dramatic and everybody threw themselves to the floor.

class156

I've seen a couple of odd things from train windows, i've seen a 170 driving carriage going over the Kingston Bridge on a low loader while leaving Glasgow Central on a 380. I have also seen a ned and his girlfriend painting an obscene remark on a footpath between Paisley and Johnstone.

Near Carstairs (of however its spelt :P )

I seen an elderly man in a field completely naked rounding in his sheep!

To be fair there is a large mental hospital in Carstairs :lol:

An old lady having a rant out loud with nobody, in a carriage about how much money Richard Branson has. She was literally just looking at the empty seat infront of her and aiming her conversation at it. That was really quite surreal.

tsr

Established Member
An old lady having a rant out loud with nobody, in a carriage about how much money Richard Branson has. She was literally just looking at the empty seat infront of her and aiming her conversation at it. That was really quite surreal.

I take it she wasn't on a Virgin Trains service?

mr williams

In the UK, two junkies shooting up in broad daylight on the abandoned platforms at Stapleton Road.

In the US, vultures in Florida, alligators in Louisiana an a real life Roadrunner in the West Texas desert!!

Status
Not open for further replies.