• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strange things seen from train windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Waddon

I saw a derailed DMU in the snow out of a sleeper train window many years ago.

Also saw a dead body when on a train in Germany (not very nice)

And saw part of the speedboat chase from the beginning of the James Bond film 'The World is Not Enough' being filmed from a train going into Charing Cross

ex-railwayman

On one of my first solo visits to South Wales to see family who had recently moved house in the late 70's, I was taking a DMU up one of the valley lines on a Saturday lunchtime and we came to a signal stop. Looking out of the window I watched a Class 37 come to a halt at the bottom of someone's garden on this branch line, the driver climbed out, collected his Billy Can and bag, shut the cab doors, went through the garden gate and walked up the path to his back door, I came across several other Class 37's parked at the bottom of people's gardens on my little trip further up the line and thought how nice it was to be able to drive your locomotive home for the weekend, park it up outside, and then return it on a Monday morning, I don't think many drivers would be allowed to do that today.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Last edited:

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I saw a guy dressed as a baby wearing only a giant nappy, pink bib and trainers today

dzug2

Don't know if it's still there but some years back there was a yard full of scrap buses at Lydney

Anon Mouse

Established Member
not quite out of the window, but there was a bloke strumming a guitar behind by cab door this morning

Anon Mouse

Established Member
aye, he was pretty good, hence me not pointing out the railway bylaws relation to playing of instruments! :)

Don't know if it's still there but some years back there was a yard full of scrap buses at Lydney

It's still there.

Um...elephants at Bewdley. It's cool now though, now I'm used to it, almost becomes part of the trip :D

It's nice seeing the sheep/lambs as well. Also saw a rainbow once between Tamworth and Burton. As for strange stuff, actually can't recall anything.

Have been shocked into ripping my camera from my pocket when seeing locos though, e.g. Crewe EMD

sbt

A lad and a lass in full Bells and Hankies gear doing a two person Morris Dance on the platform at Haselmere.

Southern

Saw a horse drawn cart coming along a lane between Dunton Green - Knockholt about two weeks ago. Also remember (a while back now) South Eastern Trains had a big board up in a field that way advertising cheap fares.

flymo

Established Member
Probably seen loads of things over the years but the two that I remember most are the time I saw a buxom lady flashing the train (:shock:) just north of Durham and, not really terribly interesting perhaps but, an ex-Tyne and Wear PTE Scania 111 still in its yellow livery next to the line in Brora. I was working for the PTE at the time and it took me a bit by surprise, (surprised it got there.......)

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
On the curve between Worcester Foregate Street and Tunnel Jct, there is a messy back garden where you can see a derelict caravan and some shopping trolleys (I have no idea how the caravan got into its current position though!). ;)

Smudger105e

When I was on an 8 week placement at St Leonards depot, I used to get a cab ride on an ECS working from the depot back to Brighton.

The driver pointed out to me a large mirror attached to the ceiling of one of the house's bedrooms that could be clearly seem from the railway. The driver said something about a fiddler's elbow, but I don't know what he meant!!

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
The driver pointed out to me a large mirror attached to the ceiling of one of the house's bedrooms that could be clearly seem from the railway. The driver said something about a fiddler's elbow, but I don't know what he meant!!

A nature reserve? :D

Lrd

Established Member
Near Poole there are a few bus roofs (i.e. the top half of a double decker chopped off) on some shelving outside in a yard.

Always seemed a little strange.

Cletus

Established Member
On the left hand side travelling from Dover Priory towards Canterbury there's a very large Woolworth's sign on the side of the house shown in this link:-

http://g.co/maps/krhdk

If you spin the camera around, you can see the railway line. The sign wasn't there when Streetview came by, but is now.

Not that strange, but a one-off probably.

LE Greys

Established Member
A heard of European Bison near Stonehaven (still not sure whether it's a zoo or a farm)
An Antonov An-124 Condor at Leuchars with Russian markings
Lots of water once near Warminster, so much that the 158 was right up to her axles in it (presumably the flooded River Frome)
Beaver dams and lodges in New Brunswick

Oh yes, I've seen the odd Red Kite as well, plus Deer and Seals (and a possible Osprey in Connecticut). I heard someone reported a Lion once, didn't see it myself, though.

ReverendFozz

When I was about 16-17 I was heading to London on an HST, I was stood in the corridor by the smoking carriage, I had not been feeling well so slid the window down on the door and stuck my head out to clear it a bit, I spotted 2 guys on the Bridge at Sunderland Bridge just past Durham, they were hanging over the bridge with there pants down, 1 had a turd and the other a pee.

Not from a train but a platform, a drunk lad needed the toilet before the train came, he took the easy way and shocked a packed platform by jumping off it, crossed the line and came back the same way...and disnt even get lifted for it

Status
Not open for further replies.