• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strange things seen from train windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

extendedpaul

What is the oddest thing you have spotted from the window of a moving train in the UK ?

For me it was a camel in a field. I thought I must have imagined it but a google search confirmed the sighting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anon Mouse

Established Member
a working girl giving a guy a very personal service on a platform

a fat girl flashing her knockers

a guy dressed as a snail

tsr

Established Member
A clean 319 on a First Capital Connect service that was running on time. No, wait... I was dreaming.

The rarest thing I have seen is a red kite above a field in Betchworth. They are critically endangered in that area.

The yard full of red phone boxes near Merstham has taken people by surprise.

cuccir

Established Member
Heading south out of Alnmouth station, look to your right (around here ) just before the first level crossing you'll see the statue of liberty...

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Approaching Hyndland from Anniesland one day in the late 1970s, I saw a 303 ('Blue Train') unit hanging out from the end of a siding at the old Hyndland depot, having failed to stop at the buffers and nearly fouling the main line. I was filming out the window of the train at the time on a super 8 camera movie camera and the unlikely sight was recorded for posterity. Must dig that out and digitise it.

KBD1

a working girl giving a guy a very personal service on a platform

a fat girl flashing her knockers

a guy dressed as a snail

Not strange, but a couple having sex in the bushes, obscured from the public in Princess St Gardens, but in full view of the passangers in the stopped trains on the gardens at the Waverley. He He.:)

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Seen lots of people having sex, not on a platform though, most in fields :)

Seen some cows chasing horses, which i found odd anyway....

Anon Mouse

Established Member
two horses doing it, you should see the length of the thing!!!!!!!!

Established Member
Saw whilst on a 185 going through Marsden in West Yorkshire, a man puking up at the exact moment the train went past.

Also saw someone walking a horse down a street in Sunderland today...

table38

Established Member
On the BLS tour to Heysham (October 2010), what exactly was that lad doing in the car in the ferry terminal carpark :)

johnnychips

Established Member
If its not in Yooorkshire then its not worth blooming visiting!!!

Erm Jimmy, we'd better stop putting things on here or we might be starting a new tourist attraction :D

Yew

Established Member
Coming out of worksop I have had the odd situation of a stationary freight train directly to the left of the carriage, and a moving one on the right, it feels quite odd, one side moving one side not. Almost like the train has got lost and is going around in a goods yard

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I saw two Gypsy Lads racing horses and traps at Walkergate Metro

Football Fans having a full on battle at St. Peters Metro

Michael.Y

Established Member
For being a small commuter town in the middle of nowhere, it was slightly weird seeing Ludlow station absolutely crammed to the rafters (ramps, stairs, platforms, overbridge etc) with people waiting for a charter steam train to come through... at 7:45pm in the pitch-black middle of winter.

Established Member
Only at NorthernSpirit Trains.....

http://www.explodingcigar.com/article196.html

I was going to add the full story from my point of view as a guard, but I really would get banned ;)

-------------
edit... didnt see Johnnychips remembered this one too

Last edited:

scotsman

Established Member
Dingwall's neds fighting on the platform, a derailed Turbostar, a junkie passed out under a bridge, a car crossing a level crossing while it was activated...

tsr

Established Member
i once saw a 20 on the m1 whilst in a 170 heading towards narborough

thanks

dan

I had a very brief moment of shock seeing an A-Stock carriage on a motorway camera the other day, before realising (very quickly) that it was on a low-loader.

Not on a train... but I have seen two fully grown men chase a half-deflated helium balloon down a LU station platform before, whilst shouting what sounded like quotes from the Jabberwocky. They were almost certainly drunk, or else completely insane.

12CSVT

Established Member
I wonder how many first time visitors to the Severn Valley Railway were previously unaware of Bewdley Safari Park - until the elephants, rhinos etc came into view.

Established Member
On a similar subject, spied a back garden adjoining a freight line in Belgium containing a goat, a dog and a cat - nothing unusual really, except that they were all on leads tethered to posts; including the cat! I also once saw a pig being slaughtered in a back yard in Paredes in the Douro Valley (Portugal).

Tomonthetrain

Established Member

Crossover

Established Member
The sun shining?....what...it's rare in these parts! :P

More seriously though, leaving Dewsbury station with loads of people on the opposite platform dressed as, essentially, farmers, with flat caps, checkered shirts, braces and wellington boots, in the middle of a dry summer day, was rather interesting! I think they may have been on the real ale trail and from listening to them
a. were completely hammered!
b. had no idea which platform or what service they needed!...thankfully they decided they didn't want the one I was getting!

I think the weirdest and most unnerving one was at Leeds a few months ago. Having boarded the stopper to Knaresborough (a 155/153 combo), we got a clear signal, the doors locked, brakes released, engines revved and we went....nowhere...
Nothing strange you're thinking. Well, a short while later and we got a fitter and they had the doors locked, brakes released and were revving it trying to get it to move and I was looking out on a 333 in the next platform. There was movement, coupled with the engine revving, I was now convinced we were moving....back towards the buffers :shock:! Things seemed a bit strange as I was expecting to very soon hit the Pacer parked behind us. It was at this point I had the presence of mind to look out the other window to see a stationary platform, just as the 333 disappeared at the other side. I have to say, I was actually briefly worried for a while, as the driver/fitter were really giving it the beans trying to get it to move!

Long and short of that one though, was that the service was cancelled, the defective 155 (which we were told had a gearbox problem) was uncoupled from the set and a fitter drove it out to Neville Hill :shock:.....defective indeed...I was hoping to see a thunderbird :(

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How about looking down the side of a mountain on the Settle-Carlisle line and seeing a plane flying below?

mralexn

Near Carstairs (of however its spelt :P )

I seen an elderly man in a field completely naked rounding in his sheep!

brillopad

Ostriches at Lostwithiel.
Rheas at Totnes.
Red kite at Hayle.
Alpacas near St Austell - only because when they first arrived they used to stand on a mound and stare at passing trains their heads rotating like Owls - now they don't care.
Jumper on the Tamar road bridge.

deltic1989

Established Member
I was on a train once (I forget when or where) but we pulled out of a station across an AHB crossing and there was a Police car there blue lights flashing, a few miles further on as we approached the next station we crossed another AHB and the same Police car was again held up at the barriers lights flashing. Might not be all that odd but it made me smile.

Kneedown

Established Member
two horses doing it, you should see the length of the thing!!!!!!!!

You mean the horses face right?

Seen a Lincolnshire farmer at Sibsey crawling around a muddy paddock wearing nothing but wellies and red budgie smugglers.
He seemed to be heading towards a very worried looking pig!
Mercifully i was doing 60 and didnt see what, if anything, followed :o

Anon Mouse

Established Member
You mean the horses face right?

Seen a Lincolnshire farmer at Sibsey crawling around a muddy paddock wearing nothing but wellies and red budgie smugglers.
He seemed to be heading towards a very worried looking pig!
Mercifully i was doing 60 and didnt see what, if anything, followed :o

aye, thats right! :lol:

I hope the pig managed to get away from the scary sounding man!

Status
Not open for further replies.