• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strange train at Honeybourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was travelling on GWR from Worcester to Reading on Wed 16 June and when passing through Honeybourne, I noticed a strange looking 3 or 4 carriage train in, I think, TFW grey/red livery, on a siding, could it have been one of the old district line trains that were being changed to battery or diesel use on some NR lines, this seems to have gone quiet lately?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
I was travelling on GWR from Worcester to Reading on Wed 16 June and when passing through Honeybourne, I noticed a strange looking 3 or 4 carriage train in, I think, TFW grey/red livery, on a siding, could it have been one of the old district line trains that were being changed to battery or diesel use on some NR lines, this seems to have gone quiet lately?
It's a D Train/230. There's a rail show on there at the moment, which is why the train is there.

Peter C

Established Member
The rail show in question is RailLive 2021: https://www.raillive.org.uk/
230010 was running shuttles between Honeybourne and the event at Long Marston yesterday:
@TheTransportHub on Twitter said:
On[e] of @tfwrail new class 230s is running the shuttle to RailLive today and tomorrow. Very impressed with the acceleration and comfort!
Smiling face with heart-shaped eyes

@RAIL @Vivarail @railliveuk #RailLive2021 #RailLive
[four photos of 230010, including one of the interior - the forums won't let me upload them]

-Peter

tnxrail

more info on this thread:https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...-introduction-on-the-borderlands-line.191986/

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Could the passengers join the train at Honeybourne?
Yes, there was a little 'Platform 3' under the footbridge.

Nice 'fresh' feel to the train inside but didn't get up much speed or show its acceleration on my run. Much of the branch seems to have a severe speed restriction, possibly in the hot weather (?).

ABB125

Established Member
Nice 'fresh' feel to the train inside but didn't get up much speed or show its acceleration on my run. Much of the branch seems to have a severe speed restriction, possibly in the hot weather (?).
I think it's simply a case of the linespeed just being very slow. Freight services are normally allocated about 15 minutes between Honeybourne Staff Hut (don't ask me to tell you exactly where that is!) and Long Marston; the shuttles today were 11 minutes going to LM and 14 coming from LM (I'm not sure why the times are different in each direction).

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I think it's simply a case of the linespeed just being very slow. Freight services are normally allocated about 15 minutes between Honeybourne Staff Hut (don't ask me to tell you exactly where that is!) and Long Marston; the shuttles today were 11 minutes going to LM and 14 coming from LM (I'm not sure why the times are different in each direction).
Maybe uphill in one direction? :D There could have been a heat related speed restriction as the GWR Train that I was on, also had to run slower than normal in that area on Wednesday.

The Planner

Veteran Member
That is just an arbitrary number to be honest, as its after the token/staff and not affecting anything. There are plenty of off network sidings where a running time like that is used.

fgwrich

Established Member
Yes, there was a little 'Platform 3' under the footbridge.

Quite possibly heat related restrictions - it certainly isn't due to the state of the track as the branch (from Honeybourne station) to the entrance gates was fairly recently been relayed with CWRR & Steel Sleepers. The track through the station was relayed at the same time the junction was moved from South of the station to the North as part of the Cotswold Line doubling.

Status
Not open for further replies.