• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strange wiring on an Azuma 801 228

Status
Not open for further replies.

malc-c

Firstly If this is in the wrong section, mods please relocate it.

I noticed some strange tin foil attachments to what I as a layman I would describe as bolt points, with bundles of laced wiring running to the doors. This was repeated all down the length of the train. Anyone have any ideas what they are or the purpose is (my first assumption was related to the "cracking" issue that grounded the fleet a few months back ?). I didn't notice this on any other Azuma set that passed throughout the time I spent at the station.

S3170002.JPG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
Firstly If this is in the wrong section, mods please relocate it.

I noticed some strange tin foil attachments to what I as a layman I would describe as bolt points, with bundles of laced wiring running to the doors. This was repeated all down the length of the train. Anyone have any ideas what they are or the purpose is (my first assumption was related to the "cracking" issue that grounded the fleet a few months back ?). I didn't notice this on any other Azuma set that passed throughout the time I spent at the station.

View attachment 99972
It's related to monitoring equipment that has been installed on one unit each from LNER and GWR, which is there to help with establishing what caused the cracks to develop.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I assume the "tin foil" is an attempt at shielding the sensors from noise. Strain gauges work in the millivolt range, so shielding is essential.

Puppetfinger

Suspect the 'tin foil' is what is otherwise known as 'speed tape', basically an aluminium pressure sensitive tape, that is very strong, and also offers very good protection.

Commonly used for all manner of minor repairs to aircraft, also racing cars, indeed it was seen being applied to the wing one of the Mercedes F1 cars at the weekend.

trebor79

Established Member
Yeah they'll be strain gauges so that they can work out where the excessive stress/strain causing the cracking is occurring and help design out the root cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.