• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strangest bus destination screens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elwyn

I live near the Wrightbus factory in Ballymena and you often used to see new buses out for what were presumably test drives. The drivers would have a bit of fun and put up strange destinations. I saw “Las Vegas” recently.

mmh

Established Member
I'm always intrigued by the stop announcements and displays on the Arriva Wales number 5 route (Bangor to Llandudno) where a surprising number are called completely different things in English to Welsh.

scosutsut

67 to Bush always makes me giggle and think it was a numbering opportunity missed. The Choo Choo I'm a train on rail replacements is also amusing.

Andyh82

Established Member
In Sheffield buses only go to Halfway, presumably you have to walk the rest.

alex397

Established Member
In Kent, there used to be the 622 from Canterbury to 'Plucks Gutter', but this has since been replaced by a number 11 which goes through to Thanet.

Also in Canterbury was the local route 27 to 'Rough Common' which isn't exactly the best of names! Actually quite a nice area. It has since been replaced by diverting some journeys of an inter-urban route.

gazthomas

Established Member
I'm always intrigued by the stop announcements and displays on the Arriva Wales number 5 route (Bangor to Llandudno) where a surprising number are called completely different things in English to Welsh.
That's what happens with different languages :idea:

tbtc

Veteran Member
"Is this bus going to Jump" used to be the Barnsley equivalent of Liverpool's "Is this bus going to Speke"

(the old 326 was replaced by the 66 and "Is this bus going to Hoyland" isn't as interesting")

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I did once see a Stagecoach service going to Bus Reversing, even though it clearly was heading forwards.

"Is this bus going to Jump" used to be the Barnsley equivalent of Liverpool's "Is this bus going to Speke"

(the old 326 was replaced by the 66 and "Is this bus going to Hoyland" isn't as interesting")
Taking my own thread off topic, anyone who asked me how long the next bus would be would get the reply " same length as this one".
I will get my coat.....

essexjohn

London trolleybuses and, before them, trams terminating at Harlesden, College Green had destination blinds "Nr Willesden Junction".

Busaholic

Veteran Member
London Transport's Country Bus Dept used to run a 471 circular service from Orpington Station, a frying pan shaped route famously worked by GS type buses (''Guy Specials'') for many years. As it worked in both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions, the destination blind showed the via points according to the chosen direction, and two of the adjoining lines read Pratts Bottom and Knockholt Pound, or vice versa. I believe Nigel Farage comes from Pratts Bottom: no further comment required. :lol:

Mal

Wigan Corporation once had a service to Dangerous Corner.

(just realised this is my 100. post. Yippee!)

Last edited:
Bury Corporation (and Selnec and GMT) had an exotic short working to Jericho on the Rochdale route, and before that with its first electric tramway.

Zamracene749

'Downhill Circular' in Sunderland. How is that geographically possible? :) Newcastle used to have 'Dumpling Hall', conjured up images of some wonderful place with free puddings served by some friendly eccentric lord or lady. A quick visit would soon dispel any of those notions :-0 . We used to have 'Miners' as a destination too, maybe this could be updated to 'pensioners' nowadays :p

L401CJF

Established Member
Some of our buses (Arriva Merseyside) are programmed with 'Feel free to wait on this bus until your bus arrives' or something like that. Destination is named 'Waiting Room' and is used for Rail Replacements apparantly.

Statto

Established Member
Bury Corporation (and Selnec and GMT) had an exotic short working to Jericho on the Rochdale route, and before that with its first electric tramway.

469 think it was, the Jericho journey's ran until a few years ago until First cut it to Bury, & the aforementioned Bury plus Ramsbottom quite amusing too.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It may have been a Part Route but Pity Me is a real village not too far from Wideopen.

Pity Me is a real village but services would either stop short at Aykley Heads or Framwellgate Moor, or run through to Brasside/Arnison Centre or continue to Chester le Street. Can’t recall any services with Pity Me as the destination.

Wideopen is quite a way from Pity Me but probably did appear as destination for some routes.

Back to Durham City, there was a local service back in the day operated by OK that went to Hett but some journeys stopped short at Cock o’ the North (!)..... it was a large pub/hotel on the A167.

Mal

If I remember right, there was a bus route from Stornoway to a village called Back. It was strange seeing that as a destination!

Status
Not open for further replies.