• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strangest experience you have had on a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deano23

I would say the strangest experience I have had is when I was coming home from Manchester , just as I was getting to my station a guy came over and gave me £40 , really random

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Someone read my palms outside Beckenham Junction back in 2013 stranger still most of what he said was true!

Established Member
Without a doubt the time I boarded a Northern service which was on time, got a seat and alighted it on time.:D

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
A 4VEP first class compartment , where a slightly inebriated gent , confessed to having met his "other woman" - and asked whether it should continue , - lived in Oxshott , well paid job , wife , 2 charming kids.nice dog etc. I think he wanted a "confessional" , so I wished him well and told him to dump her , and not let is heart rule his head. (said through the drop light on Wimbledon platform) , hope it worked out.

Last southbound Bakerloo from Queens Park - me and one other passenger on a 1938 TS (nice) . Pair of lesbians get on at Kilburn Park and start mauling each other , with knowing links to me and the other bloke. At Baker Street a bunch of LU track workers get on - they threw in a pair of keying hammers and a pile of track equipment on the floor via the doors - see the score - and proceed to ask them if they fancied a night on the tracks. The ladies were off at the next stop. Bizarre. Had a good laugh about it.

Established Member
About twenty years ago, when I lived in Thame, I caught a train to Marylebone and then the Bakerloo Line to Waterloo to meet some friends at a restaurant in Waterloo Road. On the Bakerloo train were two Roman Catholic priests. I met my friends at about 7 o'clock, and left the restaurant about fours later. On the Bakerloo Line train on the way back to Marylebone were the same two priests.

Bedpan

Established Member
About twenty years ago, when I lived in Thame, I caught a train to Marylebone and then the Bakerloo Line to Waterloo to meet some friends at a restaurant in Waterloo Road. On the Bakerloo train were two Roman Catholic priests. I met my friends at about 7 o'clock, and left the restaurant about fours later. On the Bakerloo Line train on the way back to Marylebone were the same two priests.

In a similar vein, many years ago (early 70s) I travelled with my then girlfriend (now wife) from London to Parkstone to visit my great uncle. We had lunch on the train on the way in the 4 REP unit. Before leaving my uncle's my wife couldn't find her gloves anywhere but last remembered having them on the train. After the change of traction from class 33 to 4 REP at Bournemouth we walked up to the restaurant car and there were her gloves, where she had left them on a shelf on the bottom of the seat.

Established Member
In a similar vein, many years ago (early 70s) I travelled with my then girlfriend (now wife) from London to Parkstone to visit my great uncle. We had lunch on the train on the way in the 4 REP unit. Before leaving my uncle's my wife couldn't find her gloves anywhere but last remembered having them on the train. After the change of traction from class 33 to 4 REP at Bournemouth we walked up to the restaurant car and there were her gloves, where she had left them on a shelf on the bottom of the seat.

Lucky! But I suspect the gloves had just remained on the shelf while the 4 REP had been to Waterloo and back. In my case, I doubt whether the priests had spent the intervening four hours travelling back and forth on the Bakerloo!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Ok then.

How about leaving Todmorden 9 late and arriving into Leeds early...! (Again on Northern)

Depends on how much recovery was built in, i.e during the reversal at Bradford. Also if the stock was better than what the timetable is timed against (i.e a 158 popping up vice a Pacer)

takno

Established Member
I was on a train from Manchester and as I was walking along counting my money I accidentally dropped it right into someone's hand. I felt too awkward to ask for it back, but really I should have because it was about 40 quid

bnm

Established Member
Departing Bristol Parkway, approaching Westerleigh Junction, looking out the window to see a man stood in a field wearing lingerie. Basque, frilly knickers, suspenders and high heels. Just stood there staring at the train.

Tracked

Established Member
Ok then.

How about leaving Todmorden 9 late and arriving into Leeds early...! (Again on Northern)

Used to get the 15:41 from Sheffield back to Doncaster (it only called at Meadowhell, usually spent about 10 mins at Hexthorpe), usually got into to Doncaster at 16:15 but the earliest I've ever got back was the day:

- it turned up at Sheffield so late passengers were getting off after it should've left
- it was going at very leisurely pace compared to normal
- it stopped for a tresspasser between Swinton and Mexborough for about 5 minutes (they were walking at the side of the track, then scaled the fence).

It then arrived into Doncaster at 16:07, on platform 3, possibly due to to a London train being cancelled.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Departing Bristol Parkway, approaching Westerleigh Junction, looking out the window to see a man stood in a field wearing lingerie. Basque, frilly knickers, suspenders and high heels. Just stood there staring at the train.

each to their own. I had something similar near Sheffield. We had been to a theater trip to Birmingham. A man in a mac was flashing at trains. he was naked but for the coat. He got a shock when our train was brought to a stand at a signal and about 20 kids started banging on the windows and shouting out of the drop lights at him - never seen a man run so fast!

The female English teacher who went with us turned to the department head and very quietly said well that wasn't a very impressive display was it. He exhaled coffee through his nose! I think she meant our behaviour.............

Last edited:

Bedpan

Established Member
Lucky! But I suspect the gloves had just remained on the shelf while the 4 REP had been to Waterloo and back. In my case, I doubt whether the priests had spent the intervening four hours travelling back and forth on the Bakerloo!
I suppose that would depend on whether they considered the Bakerloo Line to be "Mass Transit"

Established Member
A few years back, I got a pair of 156s from Lancasrer to Preston, just after id taken my seat in the rear unit, when an elder woman and a slightly elderly gentleman, get aboard too and take their seats a few away from where im sitting. It soon becomes apparent both have more than a few issues, the woman has seemingly got Tourette's, she keeps involuntarily volleying out a fair few industrial words, the older guy, keeps telling her to be quiet and this makes her worse, so he moves seats away from her, whilst telling her quite industrially what he thinks of her. She swears back at him. At the time, Her phone rings and I thought, oh good this should calm.her down a bit, NO, whoever's on the other end of the phone, is getting big time, till she screamed im going now so you can f off. Her compsnion shouts, that was charming off you. She quietens down but then every 5mins she shouts, Ernie I love you, the guy just replies with, ok love. The two old dears opposite and myself are very perplexed by it all.

Established Member
Burnham Festival on the Southminster line used to be a good laugh. For a couple of years there was a band playing on the train, electric guitars etc. Seats were removed from the class 321 unit to make space and a transformer of some sorts put in to ensure the electricity supply for the band was OK.

Alighting from a Walsall(?) to Great Yarmouth train (2 x class 25s and about 10 MkIs) at Berney Arms.

Being aboard the Winton train with Tornado from Harwich to Liverpool St with a helicopter following us all the way.

A sad one, being aboard a class 37 hauled train from Wick and someone drives their car into the side of our loco before we get to Georgemas Jn.

And finally another one with an 18 certification. Leaving Liverpool St on the down electric line in a class 306 unit, running parallel with a class 307 on the down main line. Lady and Gentleman sitting in a compartment of the 307. Lady takes coat off, gentleman stands on the seat and removes the light bulbs. Have to imagine the rest as our 306 was faster.

Crossover

Established Member
A few years ago, I was sat in the ballroom on the 185 (which I recall being the leading end of the train) from Manchester Piccadilly. There was a group who I believe were tasked for a charity event to get as far as possible for free and back to ‘base’ within a period of time. They had instruments with them and an impromptu sing-song was had. Goodness knows what the driver thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.