Strangest Places you have come across trains

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by yoyothehobo, 7 Jun 2019.

1. yoyothehobo

yoyothehobo Member

Just a fun thread, asking for your tales on where you have seen locos unexpectedly/generally away from the rail network.

For example I was once driving over the A66 over Stainmore summit in the roadworks when there was only one lane each way and I got stuck behind a truck with a 9F on the back coming from Kirkby Stephen (which was an incredibly slow trip up the hill i must admit).

just wondering what everyone else may have seen.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Jimathy

Jimathy Member

My bad, I read that wrong....

4. alangla

alangla Member

The M60. Class 37 on the back of a lorry, presumably going to/from the East Lancs railway, crawling up a hill. Nearly went into the back of it!

5. grumblingalong

grumblingalong Member

The old Swedish? Locos at the scrapyard near Sudbury, Suffolk. On a trip to a motorcycle spares shop, I spotted the obvious silhouettes!

6. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

Reykjavik harbour.

7. matt_world2004

matt_world2004 Established Member

Office in Whitechapel has a tube train in it.

8. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

Many years ago - whilst very young - occasional steam locos (on lorries) heading towards Liverpool on the A580 (East Lancs Road), seen from near where we lived in Moss Bank (St. Helens). Locos for export, obviously out of guage and unable to use B.R., and presumably built by Vulcan Foundry (or maybe Nasymth Wilson at Patricroft if it was still in business at that time.)

9. bobbyrail

bobbyrail Member

Old MSC (Manchester ship canal company) loco on the A57 in Cadishead, used to be in a local park until relocated to a more historically acturate location. These ran all the way into the Manchester / Salford docks along the canal.

10. Ken H

Ken H Established Member

Old mk2 on the stratford 'greenway' now a cafe. The greenway used to be the Stratford -Honeybourne railway.

Its at Milcote
    https://www.carriagescafe.co.uk/

11. Wilts Wanderer

Wilts Wanderer Established Member

Aren’t there three old Jubilee line tube cars on the roof of a building in east London?

12. Fireless

Fireless Member

I spotted one of the first M5000 for Manchester Metrolink at the german-dutch border near Venlo in 2009.

13. johnr57

johnr57 Member

just by the A64, near the Castle Howard turn off, behind the trees is (i think ) a Mk 1 coach under tarpaulin

14. Cowley

Cowley Established Member

Tiverton museum has GWR 0-4-2 tank 1442 in it.
    If you’ve ever gone to the museum without knowing about it it comes as quite a surprise.

15. big all

big all On Moderation

around 1990 driving a redhill tonbridge a gwr small steam engine went over the top on the m25 at nutfeild
    because off the side barriers on the motorway bridge it looked like it was just a steam engine on its own traveling perhaps 40mph with the tender about 300feet feet behind
    a very very surreal situation o_Oo_Oo_O

16. Matt_pool

Matt_pool Member

Does the cut off cab of a 37 in the beer garden of The Alexandra Hotel pub in Derby count!?

17. Dstock7080

Dstock7080 Established Member

Unfortunately not a real C Stock but a very good mock-up.

18. Tracked

Tracked Member

First time I went there I'd come in from the Town Centre, I certainly wasn't expecting it.

Near Wath upon Dearne/Brampton, just at the side of the Dearne Valley Parkway, there used to be a little tank engine on top of a building (think it may have been some sort of little water-tower). Used to drive past it to work in the early 00's, long after the tracks there were lifted, but there's a new housing estate there now.

19. whhistle

whhistle On Moderation

Didn't Wicksteed Park have a Pannier tank in the middle of it years ago?
    Not the little train that currently runs.

20. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

2 of them near Shoreditch High Street station.

21. E_Reeves

E_Reeves Established Member

An old tamper at a service station in Birmingham (on a low loader obviously)

22. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Established Member

That is a great pub. There is a similar rail themed pub almost next door too.

23. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

Not really that strange - but running down the street in Palma. It was of course the Ferrocarril de Sóller, but it was the first street-running train I had seen and I wasn't expecting it! :lol:

24. tonysk14

tonysk14 Member

Those bloody 37s will go anywhere.

25. Doomotron

Doomotron Member

There's an abandoned mining town in the Atacama desert, with old locos of British origin for moving saltpeter. The town in question was called Humberstone.

26. SPADTrap

SPADTrap Established Member

Thameslink, on time somewhere.

27. RichT54

RichT54 Member

I remember when I was very young my Dad took us to Dover in the car and we parked on the Esplanade and I was surprised to see a small tank engine, accompanied by a man with a red flag, came trundling along the track in the road. As I grew up on Romney Marsh, this was probably the first 'big' locomotive I had ever seen.

28. Ayrshire Roy

Ayrshire Roy Member

About 5 years ago I noticed a small Barclay tank engine inside the office of a property company in Kilmarnock.
    The company is based in the old Andrew Barclay office building with the track coming out the wall, under the pavement and across the road.

29. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

A steam engine running on the road looks quite different to an electric train on the road, the former just seems more unusual somehow.

I my case it was the first time I'd seen a train run along a road, I'd seen trams but this was rather different!

30. RSimons

RSimons Member

Not a loco, but I was surprised to see some passenger carriages at the Midgard Resort in the hills east of Windhoek in Namibia, perhaps 50km from the nearest railway line along gravel roads. It seems the owner of the resort wanted to give city children the opportunity to experience the bush and this was a way to provide them with accommodation.

31. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Member

A few years ago I was exploring the old Wapping Tunnel under Liverpool. As it has no track and hasn't seen a train for over 50 years it was a bit alarming to hear a train coming at speed. In fact as it got deafeningly loud and we could see flashing lights in the blackness it was quite frightening! And it was a train! We didn't realise at the time that the Merseyrail Northern Line tunnel has an open connection with the Wapping Tunnel, passing over it on an underground girder bridge about ten feet above us!