• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strangest Places you have come across trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoyothehobo

Just a fun thread, asking for your tales on where you have seen locos unexpectedly/generally away from the rail network.

For example I was once driving over the A66 over Stainmore summit in the roadworks when there was only one lane each way and I got stuck behind a truck with a 9F on the back coming from Kirkby Stephen (which was an incredibly slow trip up the hill i must admit).

just wondering what everyone else may have seen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alangla

The M60. Class 37 on the back of a lorry, presumably going to/from the East Lancs railway, crawling up a hill. Nearly went into the back of it!

The old Swedish? Locos at the scrapyard near Sudbury, Suffolk. On a trip to a motorcycle spares shop, I spotted the obvious silhouettes!

Bevan Price

Established Member
Many years ago - whilst very young - occasional steam locos (on lorries) heading towards Liverpool on the A580 (East Lancs Road), seen from near where we lived in Moss Bank (St. Helens). Locos for export, obviously out of guage and unable to use B.R., and presumably built by Vulcan Foundry (or maybe Nasymth Wilson at Patricroft if it was still in business at that time.)

bobbyrail

Old MSC (Manchester ship canal company) loco on the A57 in Cadishead, used to be in a local park until relocated to a more historically acturate location. These ran all the way into the Manchester / Salford docks along the canal.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Aren’t there three old Jubilee line tube cars on the roof of a building in east London?

johnr57

just by the A64, near the Castle Howard turn off, behind the trees is (i think ) a Mk 1 coach under tarpaulin

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Tiverton museum has GWR 0-4-2 tank 1442 in it.
If you’ve ever gone to the museum without knowing about it it comes as quite a surprise.

big all

On Moderation
around 1990 driving a redhill tonbridge a gwr small steam engine went over the top on the m25 at nutfeild
because off the side barriers on the motorway bridge it looked like it was just a steam engine on its own traveling perhaps 40mph with the tender about 300feet feet behind
a very very surreal situation o_Oo_Oo_O

Matt_pool

Does the cut off cab of a 37 in the beer garden of The Alexandra Hotel pub in Derby count!?

Tracked

Established Member
Does the cut off cab of a 37 in the beer garden of The Alexandra Hotel pub in Derby count!?

First time I went there I'd come in from the Town Centre, I certainly wasn't expecting it.

Near Wath upon Dearne/Brampton, just at the side of the Dearne Valley Parkway, there used to be a little tank engine on top of a building (think it may have been some sort of little water-tower). Used to drive past it to work in the early 00's, long after the tracks there were lifted, but there's a new housing estate there now.

whhistle

On Moderation
Didn't Wicksteed Park have a Pannier tank in the middle of it years ago?
Not the little train that currently runs.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not really that strange - but running down the street in Palma. It was of course the Ferrocarril de Sóller, but it was the first street-running train I had seen and I wasn't expecting it! :lol:

Doomotron

There's an abandoned mining town in the Atacama desert, with old locos of British origin for moving saltpeter. The town in question was called Humberstone.

RichT54

Not really that strange - but running down the street in Palma. It was of course the Ferrocarril de Sóller, but it was the first street-running train I had seen and I wasn't expecting it! :lol:

I remember when I was very young my Dad took us to Dover in the car and we parked on the Esplanade and I was surprised to see a small tank engine, accompanied by a man with a red flag, came trundling along the track in the road. As I grew up on Romney Marsh, this was probably the first 'big' locomotive I had ever seen.

Ayrshire Roy

About 5 years ago I noticed a small Barclay tank engine inside the office of a property company in Kilmarnock.
The company is based in the old Andrew Barclay office building with the track coming out the wall, under the pavement and across the road.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I remember when I was very young my Dad took us to Dover in the car and we parked on the Esplanade and I was surprised to see a small tank engine, accompanied by a man with a red flag, came trundling along the track in the road. As I grew up on Romney Marsh, this was probably the first 'big' locomotive I had ever seen.

A steam engine running on the road looks quite different to an electric train on the road, the former just seems more unusual somehow.

I my case it was the first time I'd seen a train run along a road, I'd seen trams but this was rather different!

RSimons

Not a loco, but I was surprised to see some passenger carriages at the Midgard Resort in the hills east of Windhoek in Namibia, perhaps 50km from the nearest railway line along gravel roads. It seems the owner of the resort wanted to give city children the opportunity to experience the bush and this was a way to provide them with accommodation.

Jagdpanther

A few years ago I was exploring the old Wapping Tunnel under Liverpool. As it has no track and hasn't seen a train for over 50 years it was a bit alarming to hear a train coming at speed. In fact as it got deafeningly loud and we could see flashing lights in the blackness it was quite frightening! And it was a train! We didn't realise at the time that the Merseyrail Northern Line tunnel has an open connection with the Wapping Tunnel, passing over it on an underground girder bridge about ten feet above us!

Status
Not open for further replies.