• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strangest Places you have come across trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dumpton Park

Half a Eurostar.

Not too surprising I admit until I mention it was at Madrid Chamartin!

It was part of one of those Rail Future type exhibitions 10 or more years ago when the place was entirely 5' gauge. It was brought over the Iberian gauge network on a piggyback wagon used to move AVE sets to and from France.

DP

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I once saw a train on the Conwy valley line. Surely that is a winner for the strangest place!! :)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
There used to be part of a green carriage, seemingly coming out of a wall at an old manor house that was being used by the Toc H Charity, then a monastery on the Isle Of Sheppey, not sure if it still there and what the house is being used for now. (I wonder if the carriage came from the old Sheppey Light Railway, that closed in 1950.)

DeRobeck

Ex BR 4BIG buffet car in use as a restaurant in Bahrain. I wasn't able to photograph it when I was there but it can be found by googling.

Ianigsy

Not a train as such, but I was surprised to find the nameplate from a warship (ie a class 42/43) on the wall of the entrance stair of a TGI Fridays in New York in 2006.

A nameplate from the Warship class 'Kelly' used to be on display at Broadlands as it was Mountbatten's ship.

I've also seen a Manchester Metrolink tram on the M62 somewhere around Pontefract on what was presumably its first morning in the UK.

Graeme

A short 7.25" gauge railway on Sanday, one of the North Isles of Orkney - the Sanday Light Railway had two steam locomotives and three petrol ones. My first visit to Sanday was in September 2006, a few months before the railway and its associated tea room closed.

I was the only visitor that afternoon - nothing was running but the owner was working on one of the steam locos and I had a choice of seats in the large tea room overlooking the neighbouring Isle of Eday. Given the small numbers of visitors to Sanday this venture was unlikely to have ever made much of a profit, although it was certainly interesting to stumble across...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanday_Light_Railway
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Sanday Light Railway in 2002
The Sanday Light Railway was a privately owned rideable miniature railway situated in Braeswick, on the island of Sanday, Orkney, Scotland.

The railway was of 7 1⁄4 in (184 mm) gauge. Construction began in 2000 and the line closed at the end of 2006. It was the most northerly passenger carrying railway in the British Isles, and although it was primarily the owner's hobby it did achieve the status of a tourist attraction and local curiosity.

The railway sometimes ran one of its two steam locomotives, a 2-4-2 and a 2-4-0, but more often one of three petrol locomotives. The railway also owned a number of items of rolling stock, including a very rare Cromar White first-class carriage.

Although trains had been operating occasionally in some form beforehand, the railway was officially opened to the public in August 2006 by Sir Peter Maxwell Davies just a few months before its closure, which was variously attributed to the owner being unable to keep his promise to hold Sir Peter's civil partnership ceremony there or unreasonable demands placed upon the railway's operators by local council officials.

As at 2008 the owner was taking legal action against a number of organisations over perceived discrimination and misconduct by those organisations, in relation to the railway, its associated tea-rooms and the abortive civil partnership ceremony.

Last edited:

Parham Wood

Continuing the carriage theme there is an old Pullman carriage which the pub says was modelled on the iconic Royal Scotsman's dining car attached to the Old Station Inn at Hallatrow on the old GWR North Somerset Railway. The pub was built as a hotel for the adjacent station. The carriage is used as an elegant dining area although there is more dining in the pub itself.

E759

This sighting is not a locomotive but rolling stock but I thought it might be interesting. Today whilst walking on Salisbury Plain (on public permitted tracks) I came across three rows of short and long wheel based (box) vans, about fifteen in total. I could not get close to see if they were on tracks as the location was the army training village near Tilshead. They obviously form part of the training environment there. It was just odd seeing them there with no rail line for miles and really in the middle of nowhere.
They are visible on Google Maps!
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2067642,-1.9813812,139m/data=!3m1!1e3
Anyway, some nice pictures of box vans, not sure if these ones or elsewhere, popped up on an official Regimental feed on Facebook last year. Sorry can't remember which Regiment or which camp but likely to be associated with infantry urban warfare training.

E759

Passing a Eurotunnel locomotive on a low-loader Eastbound on the M20 just before the Tunnel opened for business. [Was heading to Sandling to ride the 319 into the Tunnel and back (discussed on a previous thread).]

Airline Man

There's a gift shop in Old Leigh that has a withdrawn car from the Southend Pier Railway that's used as a store room. Not sure what you do with that piece of information though ;)

It's still there, although it's not the Lynne Tait gallery anymore.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Sorry, just noticed this thread. I was on an Oxford Tube to London I think in March 2014 in the morning when I'm sure I saw a then First Great Western Mark 3 coach on a recovery truck.

Established Member
The other week I saw an EWS-liveried 66 on a low-loader heading south down the A10 near Waterbeach. Those familiar with the area will know it's a road often frequented by lorries and various farm vehicles, but that's the first time I've seen a train on it - fortunately I was driving in the opposite direction so wasn't stuck behind it!

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Rauhanasema (Peace Station) is an old disused railway station building which was (literally) moved to its current site (on Veturitori, in the Pasila district, just north of Helsinki city centre) many years ago, and serves as a centre for various peace organisations. There are meeting rooms, offices - and a nice sauna of course! I was last there quite some years back, but I'm pretty sure I remember an old disused locomotive, serving as a nice large "sculptural attraction" in the space next to the building [hence the relevance to this thread]. (I also remember being distracted by trying to check the track gauge of the tramline running alongside - luckily a colleague at the same conference I was at had a tape measure to hand!)

Taunton

Established Member
There's an industrial tank "Robert" outside the entrance to Westfield shopping centre at Stratford, London. It used to be in a fairly isolated roadside position by the onetime Beckton gasworks (former home) elsewhere in Newham borough, but became strewn with graffiti.

But more surprising was being taken to a restaurant in the Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles, called Victoria Station, in about 1980. I knew it was a railway theme, but approaching found they had about 6 BR Mk 1 open vehicles, still in blue/grey livery, ranged around and connected as the dining areas. They had even ripped out the toilet and end vestibules for tables. I wonder whoever thought it worthwhile to take the vehicles from Britain halfway round the world.

Tony2

Car 71085 from class 421 unit 1884 was used as a cafe in Deptford High Street, London- see attached photo. I discovered this in August 2009 and dropped in for a coffee at the time. There was a framed picture of the unit in service hung on a wall. Back in the area last year I decided to see if I could find it again but there was no sign of it. Anyone know what happened to it?

Attachments

• u421884_71085_1.JPG
    u421884_71085_1.JPG
    930.8 KB · Views: 125

Chris M

Years ago I was in a motorway service station restaurant on the M6, one of the ones directly by the carriageway. There was a young lad, maybe 3 or 4, in the next bay who pointed out the window and said "Train! train!". His parents (presumably) said something like, "no, lorry" but the child was insistent. I looked out the window and sure enough there were a couple of low-loaders each carrying half of a Central Trains-liveried 158.

There's an industrial tank "Robert" outside the entrance to Westfield shopping centre at Stratford, London. It used to be in a fairly isolated roadside position by the onetime Beckton gasworks (former home) elsewhere in Newham borough, but became strewn with graffiti.
It's actually between Stratford (regional) station and Stratford bus station, the opposite side of the railway to Westfeild.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The cab of 37411 in the yard at the alexandra hotel in derby city center
I have seen that and been to that pub too, it is very railway themed as is one just along the road. (I also remember there being a rabbit in a large pen in one of the bar areas too.)

synthnut

Hawthorn_Leslie_0-6-0ST.jpg
Leatherhead Leisure Centre once a Hawthorn Leslie tank gently decaying as an attraction for the kids to climb on. Most people thought it was a mockup, but it was thankfully rescued recently when the old basin of the water park that had been emptied and used for storing wheelie bins was finally filled in.
Here's where she now resides: https://www.hl3837.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.