• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stratford International

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
That does then beg the question as to why it is called Stratford International - Stratford Shopping Centre (North) would be more appropriate.

What annoys me the most about it being called "international" is that normally* international is just the same station that has just had Intl added, but in Stratford it is a separate station

*except Birmingham Intl for obvious reasons

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheJRB

Established Member
It carried, what, 2 or 3 trains an hour each way for just 13 years, and has lain rusting for the last 8 years. Those whose trains have waited at Woking, Selhurst, or other places, where a continuous succession of conflicting services "do not justify" flying junctions must just wonder who writes the justification rules. What a shame that, unlike old station footbridges, unwanted flyovers cannot be just picked up and used elsewhere.
I agree with what you're saying; it's a shame that infrastructure upgrades of that sort cannot be made in those areas. Indeed under "normal" circumstances perhaps Linford Street would have been unviable. However it wasn't and it was deemed necessary in order to enable the running of passenger Eurostar services between London and the continent, a role which it fulfilled for thirteen years. It's also not possible to say that there will never be a service from Waterloo towards Wandsworth Road again even in spite of how unlikely it currently seems.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
What annoys me the most about it being called "international" is that normally* international is just the same station that has just had Intl added, but in Stratford it is a separate station

*except Birmingham Intl for obvious reasons

What I find stupid about these international-branded stations is that they seem like needless pomp. Ebbsfleet International - whoop-dee-doo. It's not like they're as common as muck on the continent or anything.

I suspect it's got something to do with our island mentality, really, where international is seen as exciting and exotic, when in reality it's really not a big deal. At least with airports it serves a useful distinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.