• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stratford International

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Hello :)

I'm planning a London bash for next week, and I've been studying the map, and I'm wondering, if you get the DLR from Stratford to Stratford International can you access the platforms at International (to see 373's and 395's), or they all closed off?

If they are, can you see 373's and 395's from the DLR platform?

Cheers, Tim.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
The station is in a deep trench, and the DLR bit is separate, so I'd be surprised if you could see anything tbh.

dk1

Veteran Member
The station is in a deep trench, and the DLR bit is separate, so I'd be surprised if you could see anything tbh.

You have to go through manned ticket gates to access the International station. It is seperate from the DLR.

If you do it it worth watching a Eurostar pass at speed from around half way down the stairway (most use escalators) as it is quite impressive.

Class377/5

Established Member
You can't see anything. The DLR station is in a separate trench next to the international station.

As DK1 says, you need to pass though the barriers to see anything.

VTPreston_Tez

I'd recommend you just buy a high-speed ticket to Stratford International, the views and feel you get there are meant to be really good and look really fast.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
£9.80 SDR St Pancras-Stratford Intl if you follow VTPreston_Tez's recommendation, however, you may be given access to the platforms as a photographer / with a platform ticket, but I'm not too sure on how it works down there. In my eyes (and I've done it several times) STP-SFA is quite a boring journey for the price as you never really get to see just how fast you are going on account that 95-98% of the journey is in tunnels, EBD-AFK is a very good run though.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Thanks for the replies :)

I'll probably give that a miss then, I've got enough other things to do!

34D

Established Member
£9.80 SDR St Pancras-Stratford Intl if you follow VTPreston_Tez's recommendation, however, you may be given access to the platforms as a photographer / with a platform ticket, but I'm not too sure on how it works down there. In my eyes (and I've done it several times) STP-SFA is quite a boring journey for the price as you never really get to see just how fast you are going on account that 95-98% of the journey is in tunnels, EBD-AFK is a very good run though.

What is the max speed in the tunnel from st panc to just before rainham? I've GPS's the javelins at 140mph in essex :)

district

I'd recommend you just buy a high-speed ticket to Stratford International, the views and feel you get there are meant to be really good and look really fast.

Agreeing with Matt, you see absolutely nothing on that journey whatsoever. The train cannot build up to anywhere near the speed that it can on the SFA-EBD-AFK streches. It's a few miles for £5.70, really not worth it for 6/7 minutes of (mostly tunnels).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What is the max speed in the tunnel from st panc to just before rainham? I've GPS's the javelins at 140mph in essex :)

St Pancras to Southfleet Jn (just south of Ebbsfleet station) is limited to 230 kph / 140 mph whether in or out of tunnel.

I think this allowed for a slightly smaller diameter to be used in both London tunnels and in the Thames tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.