• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stratford (London) to Didcot/Newbury

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj1314

Hi all.

I'm looking to travel between Stratford (London) and the Harwell Science Campus this August. I'll be travelling Monday 10th to Friday 14th and logically, Didcot Parkway looks the best bet for onward transport.

I've a 16-25 railcard which is loaded onto an Oyster. I'll require a certain degree of flexibility so am assuming a season ticket, despite not offering a railcard discount, is the best bet.

Agree?

I had a cursory check on the NRE 'season ticket calculator' which prices 7-day seasons at about £122. There's also a slightly pricier option also allowing travel to Newbury - although I'm not sure if that's connected to Harwell by any bus links.

However there's no option for a Z1-3 extension - is this available anywhere else? Is there also any form of 'plus bus' extension I could also add on?

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

button_boxer

Established Member
Out-boundary travelcards have to include zone 6, so you'd need the Didcot Parkway to London Zones 1-6 travelcard, which is £143.60 for route "any permitted", or £147.10 for "AAA Newbury". So if you would be paying more than £21.10 for Underground travel at PAYG rates then the travelcard option is cheaper.

There's then a Didcot plusbus season at £12/week, which helpfully states it "includes Harwell Campus".

Last edited:

Veteran Member
There's also a slightly pricier option also allowing travel to Newbury - although I'm not sure if that's connected to Harwell by any bus links.

Newbury is considerably further away from Harwell than Didcot, and has a poorer train service, so even if there's a bus it's unlikely to be worth it.

davetheguard

Established Member
The bus from Didcot Parkway station forecourt to Harwell campus now has an improved frequency: every 15 minutes. The route number is X32, and it is operated by Thames Travel. Journey time is just under half an hour.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
The Didcot Plusbus will let you travel to Harwell Campus. Route X1 (on Mon-Fri, but not its Saturday service) as well as the X32 will take you there - the daytime 15 minute frequency service is from both routes.

The bus service from Newbury to Harwell is now very limited (I think as little as one morning, one evening journey), so Didcot is definitely a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.