• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stratford station - pre-Olympic rehersal yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherJ

And the Olympics hasn't even started yet...

AyhW5BcCQAAp9in.jpg:large

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

15MPHMAX

GA have a few cancellations and alterations already today due to heat speed restrictions.

Skimble19

Established Member
I think if I saw that I would make a quick dart over to international and get on the Javelin - wouldn't work for everyone tho.

williamn

Maybe I just got lucky but I was on a train within 45 mins of leaving the stadium.

RAPC

Even with the Central Line being closed it was fine yesterday evening. We were out of our seats and on a Jubilee Line train in about 35-40 minutes last night. Also last night it was an 'everyone out' scenario as nobody could stay in the Olympic Park or the stadium. Come the games, there will be a bit more of a steady, heavy flow of people rather than the whole lot emptying at once.

That's not to say that there won't be serious transport problems during the games, but the negativity isn't always merited.

Class377/5

Established Member
Think is the picture shows people leaving Westfield to get into Stratford station. They expected a total of 80,000 (including 60,000 public and 20,000 Games staff). What do you expect? One single interchange station to deal with that many people going through it in one go. Simply not possible.

Note as well that's the way out to the bus station and town Center so looks like people were going multiple ways, and not maybe all from the events (someone has a Starbucks cup).

NSE

Established Member
Xplo42, you seem very against the Olympics

philjo

Established Member
According to a letter in today's Evening Standard the writer of that letter took 4 hours to get from West London to the Stadium last night. On the way home they arrived at Richmond at 1:15am (due to taking an hour to get on a train at Stratford and long delays on the overground) with no onward SWT services available so they had to get a taxi.

marks87

Established Member
Not good tonight - signalling problems have brought the "Javelin" to a standstill.

The BBC's Jon Sopel is Tweeting about a lack of information at Stratford Int'l.

Class377/5

Established Member
As omeone from Waltham Forest I'm glad of the Olympic. And I used to live Stratford by the Olympic Village.

Even with the Central Line being closed it was fine yesterday evening. We were out of our seats and on a Jubilee Line train in about 35-40 minutes last night. Also last night it was an 'everyone out' scenario as nobody could stay in the Olympic Park or the stadium. Come the games, there will be a bit more of a steady, heavy flow of people rather than the whole lot emptying at once.

That's not to say that there won't be serious transport problems during the games, but the negativity isn't always merited.

Agreed - I was there and my journey to London Bridge was pretty OK even though there was a bit more crowding due to the Central Line being down.

The picture is of a "pinch point" where the crowds need to move through a narrower area to get to the station, so it's not surprising it looks busy. Staff occassionally stopped movement so that people didnt stumble on the stairs on the other side. All very sensible if you ask me, and once over the bridge there were plenty of Jubilee Line trains.

It's the same after any large event such as a concert or football match. A little too easy to slate the Olympics for this - maybe the OP thinks crowds disappear of their own accord as if by magic...! :lol:

Clip

Established Member
As someone has alluded to earlier - this was an everyone out scenario. When the games are in full swing the park itself will be open much longer and the flow of people should not be as abrupt as it was last night.

There will be plenty going on in and around the park and all services will be running much later with the tube open all night on opening day and the DLR running till at least 0300 on a few days and later for the rest of them..

With passenger flows being thinner then last night they should cope. Though it amazes me why the person who was going to Richmond didnt just go via Jubilee to Waterloo and change there for the district instead of waiting for the central line or whatever. I guess that sort of thinking doesnt happen in journos minds though as wouldnt be a good story then would it.

And i think your wrong xplo - whilst many of the people wont change in Stratford itself with the Olympic village being sold off and rented afterwards there will be an influx of people who will bring a differrent attitude to the place which over time will change the mindset of many others who live there. Just look at how Brixton has morphed over the years, yes its still rough as hell but its getting better and better each year. As is the stow where it appears we both live.

Negativity only breeds negativity and if your mind is set in that way then nothing will change that so maybe a change of your mindset will bring about a change in your outlook on life and people.

Status
Not open for further replies.