• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Streetdeck or Gemini 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I'm confused, the only pure difference is the engine? According to Wiki, the Gemini 3 had a facelift and redesigned to match a Streetdeck, but it's the same thing though?

I'm not entirely sure but someone did tell me the easiest way to tell a Streetdeck from a Gemini 3 is whether it's a London one or not, as London ones are the only ones so far to have Volvo B5's, therefore the rest are Streetdecks with Daimlers, though that may have changed since then?

So now theres two looks to a Gemini 3 as well then to be confused about :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I'm confused, the only pure difference is the engine? According to Wiki, the Gemini 3 had a facelift and redesigned to match a Streetdeck, but it's the same thing though?

I'm not entirely sure but someone did tell me the easiest way to tell a Streetdeck from a Gemini 3 is whether it's a London one or not, as London ones are the only ones so far to have Volvo B5's, therefore the rest are Streetdecks with Daimlers, though that may have changed since then?

So now theres two looks to a Gemini 3 as well then to be confused about :lol:

They may look similar but they are very different beasts underneath. The Volvo B5 is a separate chassis with a body bolted onto it - mainly delivered into London though think Lothian also have some.

The Streetdeck is an integral model - the chassis is a Wright product with third party drivetrain and running units.

Mikey C

Established Member
They may look similar but they are very different beasts underneath. The Volvo B5 is a separate chassis with a body bolted onto it - mainly delivered into London though think Lothian also have some.

The Streetdeck is an integral model - the chassis is a Wright product with third party drivetrain and running units.

All the London sales of the Gemini 3 seem to be on the very successful B5LH hybrid chassis. Do Wrights offer a hybrid version of the Streetdeck, as they do have the technology, as used on the Borismaster?

Antman

Established Member
My only experience of the Streetdeck is on Brighton & Hove routes and quite frankly they are awful buses.

Great_Western

Have to say, I really like the Arriva Liverpool B5LH's with the Streetdeck bodies, really nice buses. On the other hand, the fully integral Streetdecks in Bristol are awful, not that the E400 MMC's are a great deal better

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Have to say, I really like the Arriva Liverpool B5LH's with the Streetdeck bodies, really nice buses. On the other hand, the fully integral Streetdecks in Bristol are awful, not that the E400 MMC's are a great deal better

I know it's all subjective but I quite like the First MMCs (both the standard and those on Bristol P&R). The Streetdecks feel less robust but I'd not go as far as awful.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I know it's all subjective but I quite like the First MMCs (both the standard and those on Bristol P&R). The Streetdecks feel less robust but I'd not go as far as awful.

I'd agree. The E40D MMCs across the country seem rather good machines, far better than the previous model. Streetdecks just don't seem to have been as well thought through, or reliable.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The buses on the Harrogate 36 are Gemini 3s, and they do feel a bit nicer to ride than the Streetdeck. I still hate the styling though. The "old" Gemini 3 was a hideous bus and they somehow made it uglier.

The E400 MMC blows it out of the water right now, even with the cheapo Stagecoach interior spec.

Wright stuff generally seems a bit rubbish at the moment. The Streetlite is also a pretty awful bus.

Mikey C

Established Member
To me the Gemini 3 (especially with the new front) is a backwards step from the Gemini 2, certainly from the point of view of the passenger, and visually too, as the proportions look wrong. The MCV body on the Volvo chassis looks much more attractive now, especially in short London spec

the101

The body used on the B5TL and as the StreetDeck is the same Gemini 3. The only differences concern air intakes and such at the rear. The StreetDeck is no more a true integral than the B5TL is because it has a separate chassis that is manufactured at the EN-Drive plant in Antrim and then taken by low-loader to Ballymena for bodying, and the same is the case with the StreetLite. The only true integrals are Optare products.

In theory you could remove a Gemini 3 body from a StreetDeck chassis and place it on a B5TL (or vice-versa), such is the level of similarity in mounting points and the like.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The body used on the B5TL and as the StreetDeck is the same Gemini 3. The only differences concern air intakes and such at the rear. The StreetDeck is no more a true integral than the B5TL is because it has a separate chassis that is manufactured at the EN-Drive plant in Antrim and then taken by low-loader to Ballymena for bodying, and the same is the case with the StreetLite. The only true integrals are Optare products.

In theory you could remove a Gemini 3 body from a StreetDeck chassis and place it on a B5TL (or vice-versa), such is the level of similarity in mounting points and the like.

You are quite correct - the Streetdeck isn't actually a true integral in terms of construction. Perhaps more that the B5 is a separate third party chassis whilst the chassis of the Streetdeck is more Wrightbus designed and specified even if the actual chassis is, in truth, a third party effort!

Again, there are always the issues of individual operator specifications but it is a noticeable difference between a Coastliner B5 on the NY Moors vs a Streetdeck running through the Mendips

Last edited:

E-Rail

Whether it's an integral Streetdeck or a Gemini 3 body on a Volvo B5TL, the build quality of both is abysmal.

We have B5TLs with MCV Evoseti bodies here in Swanage for the Purbeck Breezers and they are light years ahead of the junk Wrightbus are churning out these days, both in terms of build and ride quality, not to mention looking a damn sight better too (albeit with the help of a very clever livery at the front). I seriously can't fault them, the ride, response and handling of the B5TL/MCV is better than any Euro 6 decker on the market including the E400 MMC.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
The E400 City is a particularly nice body.

I can only assume that the Streetdeck was rather rushed into production before the (many) faults were sorted out.

Antman

Established Member
The E400 City is a particularly nice body.

I can only assume that the Streetdeck was rather rushed into production before the (many) faults were sorted out.

I totally agree, I think the E400 City is light years ahead of the Gemini 3.

sk688

Two of my local routes , the 140 and 340 , are operated by Gemini 3s and Streetdecks (16/66 plates )

I can wholeheartedly say that the Gemini 3 is better . It may not be a looker , but it takes off like nothing else , far quicker off the line than the Streetdeck . Also more comfortable ( best seats on the Gemini 3 at the raised portion at the back ) , and quieter too , both in motion and when stopped

Just my opinion

Established Member
I can wholeheartedly say that the Gemini 3 is better . It may not be a looker , but it takes off like nothing else , far quicker off the line than the Streetdeck . Also more comfortable ( best seats on the Gemini 3 at the raised portion at the back ) , and quieter too , both in motion and when stopped

The Gemini3 is a lovely bus to drive.

As a passenger, I much prefer the Gemini3 to the StreetDeck. Out of the current range of double deckers in production, I'd probably go for the Gemini3 at the moment, although that viewpoint may change once I've been on an Enviro400 City.

Mikey C

Established Member
The Gemini3 is a lovely bus to drive.

As a passenger, I much prefer the Gemini3 to the StreetDeck. Out of the current range of double deckers in production, I'd probably go for the Gemini3 at the moment, although that viewpoint may change once I've been on an Enviro400 City.

The Gemini3 and Streetdeck, in terms of the passenger, are the same bus though.

Quite impressed with the MCV bodywork, the E400MMC and E400 City are quite rare where I live in London!

sk688

The Gemini3 and Streetdeck, in terms of the passenger, are the same bus though.

Quite impressed with the MCV bodywork, the E400MMC and E400 City are quite rare where I live in London!

Not really , the Gemini 3 has a different (and better ) seating at the back , with 2+2 facing seats and an extra additional row behind this

Mikey C

Established Member
Not really , the Gemini 3 has a different (and better ) seating at the back , with 2+2 facing seats and an extra additional row behind this

The lower deck arrangement will depend on the chassis. Personally I don't like the downstairs arrangement of the B5LH hybrid, I find headroom gets a bit tight towards the back on the nearside

83G/84D

Established Member

I asked James Freeman at the Lawrence Hill open day about the pro's and con's of the Enviro 400 MMC and Streetdeck.

He seemed reluctant to be negative about either and would not favour one or the other, at least not publicly!

Status
Not open for further replies.