• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strictly for the pacer enthusiasts! Lines youd love to bash on a pacer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

is Skipton to Lancaster worth doing? Yes a good run up the ECML would be good and glad somebody else sees the attraction of the far north and yes west highland would be good too!

Skipton to Lancaster is definitely worth doing, jointed track pretty much all the way from Settle Jnc to Lancaster. All services are booked 144 (except 0819 LDS-MCM and 1034 rtn which is booked 150) so you're usually guaranteed a pacer. I prefer it on a 142 (which do sometimes work vice 144) though as I'm not a huge fan of the seats in 144s.

atomicdanny

Let Top Gear have a dozen of them, customise them and use them for drag races somewhere in the UK which has steep gradients and jointed track.

I would have said let them use those instead of caravans, although as for bashing pacers, If I had the chance it would be literally :P (obviously wouldn't for obvious reasons and I'm not a vandal though!)

Crossover

Established Member

:D :D :D Love it!!!

Highspeed 1 :lol:

That would be quite cool - though with the track as it is I don't think it would give the suspension too much to do...and that can only be a good thing :D

i quite enjoyed my 139 bash on the WMDR meet, think we should have more of them! Doubt the average punter would agree though!

My thought was to stick a 142 on the Stourbridge Town line - plenty of lumps, bumps and jointed track. If nothing else it would be interesting to see which gave the best ride - 139 vs 142!

gazthomas

Established Member
Skipton to Lancaster is definitely worth doing, jointed track pretty much all the way from Settle Jnc to Lancaster. All services are booked 144 (except 0819 LDS-MCM and 1034 rtn which is booked 150) so you're usually guaranteed a pacer. I prefer it on a 142 (which do sometimes work vice 144) though as I'm not a huge fan of the seats in 144s.
In a 144. The highlight for me was bombing along from Lancaster to Carnforth on the WCML! Thank heavens for welded track there, otherwise I would have been scared out of my skin!

12CSVT

Established Member
I would love to get a pacer on the marston vale if only to show the bloody nimbys that they are very lucky to have a 150/153 combo!

Or how about Uckfield - London Bridge, Paddington - Reading / Oxford / Worcester / Bedwyn, Slough - Windsor, Marylebone - Banbury / Moor Street / Stratford-upon-Avon, and send all the 165s, 166s, 168s and 171s to Northern and ATW

Marton

My favourite pacer line was the Esk Valley and I'd like to do this again.

You would have had the chance tonight. 1605 Whitby - Middlebrough [i presume a 156 as usual] delayed and held at Nunthorpe for 1754 Middlesbrough - Nunthorpe to run to Whtby. Announcment said "delay was because of a train fault that couldnt be put

142 with low back bus seats, 3+2.

I don't think it could have been much fun for most of the passengers.

About 9 years ago there used to be a 16?? York-Newcastle ECML throughout. Booked a 156 but was frequently a 142. Not sure how much longer the pacers have darn sarth but there were 2 ex FGW units (029/064) stabled at Darlington last Friday night.

I remember that, at the same time, there were Newcastle-York's via the coast & Middlesborough.

simon7929

You would have had the chance tonight. 1605 Whitby - Middlebrough [i presume a 156 as usual] delayed and held at Nunthorpe for 1754 Middlesbrough - Nunthorpe to run to Whtby. Announcment said "delay was because of a train fault that couldnt be put

142 with low back bus seats, 3+2.

I don't think it could have been much fun for most of the passengers.

142067 was the unit in question. 156481 running on one engine.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
oo that ones usually a good ride! Love it when that turns up on a tyne valley bash from Carlisle! To say im envyus is an understatement!
would love to take a pacer up to aberdeen via Fife and dundee although it would never happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.