• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strike action called off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinson

East Midlands Trains' website said:
Joint Statement from East Midlands Trains and ASLEF

•Positive settlement of pensions changes issues
•All industrial action planned for 6, 7 and 8 August called off following further constructive discussions
•East Midlands Trains to run full service during 2012 Games

Following further constructive discussions today, East Midlands Trains and ASLEF are pleased to confirm that a positive settlement of all issues relating to planned pensions changes has been reached.

This means that previously announced strike action on 6, 7 and 8 August has been called off and there will be no disruption to important rail services during the London 2012 Games.

Excellent news all round, including for myself as I have a 1st Advance ticket to travel on the 6th.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Oh those selfish Greedy Train Drivers are Striking............... Oh sorry they are not how selfish of them.

As for those Border Agency Staff who are striking bunch of selfish........................ oh wait they aint striking either!

I bet their wont be as much hyperbole in this thread as their was in the other one.

turbo mick

313103:1162775 said:
Oh those selfish Greedy Train Drivers are Striking............... Oh sorry they are not how selfish of them.

As for those Border Agency Staff who are striking bunch of selfish........................ oh wait they aint striking either!

I bet their wont be as much hyperbole in this thread as their was in the other

Selfish right i bet you don't know half of what goes on .strike action is the last resort for hard working people.companies get away with a lot.train drivers work hard

ivanhoe

In both cases, the Unions involved tried to use the Olympic Games to try to settle their grievances. Either they or the employers have backed down or maybe they have took on board general public outrage. Take your pick but nobody has come out of this well!

SS4

Established Member

I bet their wont be as much hyperbole in this thread as their was in the other one.

You can take that to bank then gamble on it, safe in the knowledge the taxpayer will bail you out

Established Member
Selfish right i bet you don't know half of what goes on .strike action is the last resort for hard working people.companies get away with a lot.train drivers work hard

Mick i was being ironic and obviously you didnt see my sense of humour, perhaps next time i will try not to be funny so has not to upset people.

chuckles1066

Excellent news all round, including for myself as I have a 1st Advance ticket to travel on the 6th.

The Government is currently petrified of anything that portrays Britain in a bad light on the world stage whilst the full glow of the international spotlight beams down upon us during the Olympics.

I reckon anyone in a critical public service would be mad not to threaten strike action.

I've already mentioned the fuel tanker drivers........expect their union leaders to suddenly appear in the New Years Honours List. Maybe even the architects behind the rail "solution" might find themselves entitled to use letters after their names in a few months.

Cynical? Moi? :cry:

mallard

Established Member
The Government is currently petrified of anything that portrays Britain in a bad light on the world stage whilst the full glow of the international spotlight beams down upon us during the Olympics.

I reckon anyone in a critical public service would be mad not to threaten strike action.

I've already mentioned the fuel tanker drivers........expect their union leaders to suddenly appear in the New Years Honours List. Maybe even the architects behind the rail "solution" might find themselves entitled to use letters after their names in a few months.

Cynical? Moi? :cry:

Quite. It's pretty much a "perfect storm" for militant unions at the moment; non-Labour government, international reputation on the line with the Olympics... Perfect time to start Labour's election campaign fight for the rights of the middle-classes ordinary worker!

:p

As has been previously said however - it is quite something when even a Conservative 'coalition' government was on the side of the drivers, in regards that a reduction in pension contributions was not the best of ideas in the current economic climate.

Still good to see that things have been resolved.

Legzr1

In both cases, the Unions involved tried to use the Olympic Games to try to settle their grievances.

In both cases it could be (and has!) argued that the 'management' chose wisely with the timing in bringing this to a head knowing fine well any Union would baulk at announcing industrial action at such a time.

It's all a game.

I'm pleased both sides have seen sense and come to some sort of agreement.

Do you think their hands were forced by silly little rants on some rail forum somewhere?

Ferret

Established Member
Do you think their hands were forced by silly little rants on some rail forum somewhere?

Oh God no, I suspect pressure has come from on high on both parties to come to an agreement using whatever leverage was available. Well, good!

jon0844

Veteran Member
From what I read on here, it seems that ASLEF does actually seem keen to resolve issues and not just go for strike action.

Is that an accurate assumption? It's based mostly on what is written on here, rather than me actually looking up statistics. It might just be that the RMT gets more publicity and so appears to be striking almost all the time (not literally).

Ferret

Established Member
From what I read on here, it seems that ASLEF does actually seem keen to resolve issues and not just go for strike action.

Is that an accurate assumption? It's based mostly on what is written on here, rather than me actually looking up statistics. It might just be that the RMT gets more publicity and so appears to be striking almost all the time (not literally).

Any Union would rather negotiate a solution - far more prodcutive to the membership than calling everyone out!

mailman

Anyone know what the actual details were that they were going to strike over?

Mailman

Legzr1

Any Union would rather negotiate a solution - far more prodcutive to the membership than calling everyone out!

Exactly.

Aslef (generally) do seem more interested in finding a solution to issues but the major problem for RMT is the knee-jerk responses of some people in certain areas of the press/internet.

They perpetuate the myth that Bob Crow is responsible for all the ills of the world.
People read it and believe it hence B Crow IS responsible for the all the ills.

There's a whole (locked) thread on here somewhere...

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator

ASLEF is a far smaller union than the RMT. There are, as a result, bound to be more industrial relations disputes that the latter is involved in, particularly as they cover other industries apart from the railways.

ASLEF do get involved in disputes and do take action, as a visit to their websit ewill confirm! But as has been said, every union wants to resolve issues with strikes, no union member wants to lose pay!

GB

Established Member
Anyone know what the actual details were that they were going to strike over?

Mailman

It basically centered around pension contributions. EMT management wanted to reduce the amount they paid into the pension fund as they believed current contributions would offer no extra benefit. ASLEF were worried about a potential deficit due to a bad economy since that last valuation and that its members would have to increase their own contributions to cover it.

As an interim solution ASLEF wanted the pension fund re valued before the next official valuation occured (which is due to occur after EMT no longer hold the franchise) to see what state the pension fund is actually in. EMT management did not want this.

...at least that is how I understand things.

Status
Not open for further replies.