Striking during olympics

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by YorkshireBear, 24 Jul 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GB

GB Established Member

Would you like to expand on that opening paragraph?

...and what is this about continuous walkouts???

2. ANorthernGuard

ANorthernGuard Established Member

Ahh yes continuous walkouts that are not........Continuous lol

3. Ferret

Ferret Established Member

It's becoming plainly obvious what you do - not much bar spending all day on Rail UK arguing with people!:)

As for opening up training courses - not on your nelly. I would never trust an outside agency on something as important. Anyway - who would do the handling training, teach the routes, etc etc?

4. KA4C

KA4C Member

Dear Metroland

I think that is unreasonable of you to use the fact that you now know my role within the industry to berate other members of this forum, who may also work within the industry, when you refuse to discuss your experience in the industry

Even more so when you hide behind a keyboard and the moderation team

It must also be pretty obvious to someone who claims to have once worked in the industry that any such reporting would need to have hard evidence of the identification of the culprits, plus details of their employer for such a complaint to be pursued. The fact that this seems lost on you also gives the game away in terms of your experience, or otherwise, of the industry

In addition, given that said culprits are posting on an internet forum, almost certainly off duty, how can you make such claims. For example, where are "their customers" in terms of their use of this forum

In terms of driver training requirements / management then it must be pretty obvious to most on here that your posts give the game away, that is, that you do not have a clue. it is to me

5. wigwamman

wigwamman Member

I'm not a train driver,however I have no jealousy of the good wages they earn.
    For me they are the last of the traditional working classes that continue to stick it to the government and get up the noses of daily mail readers.
    For that I take my hat of to them.
    Btw if say all drivers had their pay slashed by 15% overnight and all trains became DOO tomorrow as well do you think you would see cheaper train tickets and a cut in your income tax.

6. SS4

SS4 Established Member

Really the only two anti-union sentiments are jealousy and those who want to take advantage of a divided workforce.

7. Metroland

Metroland Established Member

So you won't be flying any more then? Quite a lot of that training is done by outside agencies.

Arguing with people? You mean staff with vested interests, I don't see any other support much? I've just put a few points across, all valid, whatever picture you might like to paint. I'm sure people can make their own minds up about the legitimacy of these strikes and the attitudes of staff.

8. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with jealousy if there is genuine unfairness. (I'm not necessarily referring to the rail industry in this case). For example, if a team loses a football game because of cheating not noticed by the referee, and the other team wins the World Cup as a result, jealousy would be understandable.

9. CarterUSM

CarterUSM Established Member

If I remember correctly, Metroland was a signaller for a while, was in the RMT, though detested it's militant stance and left it. Has a good knowledge of operating procedures and signalling systems around the country and a sound understanding of the rule book from what I see. I don't care for some of his posts, but he his entitled to his opinion as am I and everyone else. Don't care much for these threads at the best of times either, always the same formula in attendance . Anti strike V pro strike, anti right to strike V pro right to strike, etc etc etc. As ever, union members have balloted for action, some don't like it, others are in agreement. There's certainly not constant walkouts, but there is a very steady stream of ballots throughout a year held by the RMT. To you Metroland , i certainly agree with your observation of the them/us situation . I don't know how this can be remedied however, and even why it still persists. What I do see, is a lot of head banging off of brick walls, from both sides, and a real institutional culture of bullying, blatant and not so blatant , from both sides again. Shame.

10. Robinson

Robinson Member

I sincerely hope the strike does not happen, as I have an EMT 1st Advance from Sheffield to St Pancras booked for August 6th :|

11. CarterUSM

That I wholeheartedly agree with, and the second point i feel is being pursued more and more these days.

12. KA4C

KA4C Member

Don't tell me you used to be a pilot as well (sorry, forgot, none our our business)

It just so happens that a friend of mine is a training captain for a major air carrier, he seems to have a different take on this than you do

13. blacknight

blacknight Member

Easy solution to this would be for Government to bring railways back into state ownership & in return for this rail unions sign up to a no strike deal. Cause of EMT dispute would not araise as same parties would be around to make good any shortfall in pension fund after present suggest pension break.

14. Monty

Monty Established Member

I'd like to think the staff who have posted within this thread have been rather reserved in their attitudes towards you, and of course as a customer you don't have vested interests either do you? You have given as good as you have got.

15. Metroland

I know pilots like you as well, my mate was trained by an outside agency and was the one that suggested train driver licenses! Small world eh?

Unfortunately unless you post your name and grade I have no way of knowing you are who you say you are, ditto me. I'm not going to force you to, or anyone else, because I don't think that's very fair. You should similarly respect my right to privacy. If you want to debate detailed aspects of the rule book, route knowledge, training, railway operating, feel free though.

There is a difference though, I no longer work for the railways, you do. You have more potential to lose your job than me. Believe me you don't have to be 'on duty' to represent the company. You can bring a company into disrepute quite easily at any time of day.

16. CarterUSM

I've rarely seen equal column space given in the mainstream press for both sides of the argument during disputes, It's generally skewed in favour of the company , though perhaps I'm reading the wrong papers.

17. Metroland

I generally read what's on the union website, the papers, the company website. Then I make up my mind. I don't think that's very rare!

18. Monty

Monty Established Member

Opinion is always divided depending on the paper you read, for example if you pick up a copy of the Mirror of Guardian the argument may well be in favour of the staff rather than the company.

19. KA4C

KA4C Member

You have had enough info from me on that and you abused that info.

You on the other hand, continue to hide behind a keyboard

That says enough for me

Do you have the evidence of anyone doing that, names, employers, nature of offence ....?

20. ANorthernGuard

ANorthernGuard Established Member

All you had to say was "I was a Signaller" then all this none of your business rubbish would have been put to bed very easy. Still my point still stands that when it comes to the 99.9% of your Arguments, your judgement seems to be so impaired it destroys what credibility you had at the start of the conversation. I have no problems with anti-union stances, what I do have a problem with is taking away any right from the employee away to please a few people who would be "inconvienenced". That attitude is exactly what this government want as they hate the working classes and would love us to have no power to bring an employer to task over different issues. If that happened you would take away a basic right of a worker.

21. Metroland

Thank you for that, sincerly appreciated!

22. CarterUSM

That's sensible of you, but I'd be surprised if most of the (interested) general public, did so.

23. SS4

SS4 Established Member

Me too in that case.

You'd be surprised, you need only look at the weather reporting to get an idea of how a biased media can sway the population.

24. Metroland

I've already posted *some* information about me, much more would reveal my identity. As I said, without getting names and grades it's impossible to verify these things anyway. I don't want names and grades, I think you should all be able to debate these things freely.

I don't hide behind my keyboard, as I said, feel free to debate the point at hand, you can discuss detailed operating practices if you like.

25. blacknight

blacknight Member

Some might take that as a rather threatening stance to take, you beginning to sound like Joey Barton "how many can I take with me?" Do you want rail staff on this forum to voice an opinion or should staff just be seen but not heard for fear of being reported.
    Think thread is little worn now as I posted earlier ATM rail staff are still entitled to withdraw labour at their time of choice regardless of Olympics, as in couple of weeks games will be over, EMT dispute & this thread might be still going on & on & on.

Last edited: 25 Jul 2012
  26. Metroland

Yes, I think I have addressed that point in other posts at other times ad-nausea. I do, try and get both sides of every story and I don't automatically rubbish every strike. There are some good reasons when there is no other option. But the public also have a right to go about their business without being disrupted and this seems to get forgotten at times.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    It's not a threatening stance at all, I said don't post names! Some peoples CV might reveal who they are as well, mine included. You might find many people on the forum would dearly like to take them to the papers and companies involved.

Last edited: 25 Jul 2012
  27. Wolfie

Wolfie Established Member

I am NOT a rail worker. I have come onto a public forum out of interest. I wonder why some sad pathetic individual thinks that because someone works providing a "public service" (actually dear old John Major did that one to death the day he privatised the railways) they should tug their forelock to a "customer" despite the fact that said individual is coming out with a pile of male bovine excrement......

Hey, this is a forum where people have different ideas. If you offer yours and others don't agree, well tango foxtrot lima!

28. GB

GB Established Member

Debate freely? How does one do that with the threat of you (or anyone else) running to someones employer claiming disrepute?

29. Metroland

Eh? That's why I said it's a bad idea posting CVs, grades etc.

For the record, while I don't like one or two people's attitudes (I'm sure they don't like mine, but I don't work for the railway) and I think they simply show themselves up I would not report them. I really don't like the idea of someone getting in trouble and losing their livelihood. This is a debate where people are going to get hot headed and say things they might come to regret. We don't know who is reading, even PMs are not secure. It's really not a good idea giving too much away.

30. GB

GB Established Member

So what is all this about then?

While you didn't specifically say you would do it on this occasion, you have threatened to do it in the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.