• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Student Essay - Who is against HS2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nidave

Yes, but by building HS2-only stations separated from the existing infrastructure, you're missing an opportunity to integrate the systems and to address deficiencies in the current infrastructure. Of course this would be a more expensive approach than an HS2-only station, which is one reason why I feel in many cases there is merit in treating the building of new lines and the provision or upgrading of stations as separate projects.

The two things in my opinion go hand in hand - new lines and increase in capacity on current lines with interchange between the two - Cost will be a big factor in the last part. One of the dangers that I see is people are too focused on current journeys and not the potential to open up new journeys and new combinations of journeys. It may need a change of line but if its frequent, reliable and timed properly then its not a problem.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
The Northwich area is against it. Farmers and other residents in Lostock Gralam are objecting, while an anti-HS2 campaign has the backing of John Bishop who lives in Davenham.

I'm not sure an "area" is capable of an opinion.

Some people in the Northwich area (a few/ a fair proportion/ about half/ over half/ almost all) are against it.

Emyr

the backing of John Bishop

I don't see how a comedian who doesn't claim to be well-educated or well-informed is a valuable opinion on rail networks.

Ironside

I don't see how a comedian who doesn't claim to be well-educated or well-informed is a valuable opinion on rail networks.

He certainly not an impartial rail expert, but he has 3 million followers on twitter so his opinion will be widely heard, though I imagine the vast majority are interested in his comedy or charity work rather than his opinions on HS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.