• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Student travel in London

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
My daughter (over 18) is starting at college in London in September (fingers crossed). It looks likely she'll be living in Kentish Town (zone 2) and travelling into Central London, probably 5 days a week. My look at the Tfl website seems to suggest the student travel card is best value, obviously monthly better value than weekly. The daily cap costs more than the travel card if travelling 5 days in a week.

Are my assumptions right? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TFN

Assuming she has an 18+ Oyster (or aiming to get one in September), then that's the best option in my opinion. I've been buying monthly Z1-3 travelcards for the last 3 years and it's overall saving is definitely worth it.

If she ventures out into another zone then it's a measly £1.50 on most TfL services. If she gets a 16-25 Railcard, these pop down to £1.

Definitely see whether or not full classes will resume by September as quite a lot of universities aren't. If she has to go less days then it may be suitable to use PAYG instead.

And worth noting to make sure to avoid having a travelcard 2 weeks before and after new years as uni travel dies down a lot by then so PAYG works best here.

Status
Not open for further replies.