• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Submitting claim with split tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saperstein

Hi,

I travelled from Chester to Brighton yesterday splitting at London Undergrnd Zones 1-2 and Victoria with an advance train to Hove and any train to Brighton.

Because of the problems on the Brighton main line my train was one of those that got cancelled. The next was too busy to board so I caught a later one.

On the Southern website it asks for ticket numbers etc but do they take my whole journey into account or just the Southern portion because of spilt tickets?

How do I handle this please?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tomwills98

They should take both portions as if you had a through ticket, you save money by paying less than a through fare and the TOC "saves" money by paying out less than normal. I'd wouldn't go through an automated delay repay system as they can get confused with split tickets, but through the normal customer relations service if possible.

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
Doesn't that require filling out a PDF form by printing it out and either scanning it in and emailing it or posting it?

E759

They should take both portions as if you had a through ticket, you save money by paying less than a through fare and the TOC "saves" money by paying out less than normal. I'd wouldn't go through an automated delay repay system as they can get confused with split tickets, but through the normal customer relations service if possible.
GTR usually only accept on-line Delay Repay requests through the Delay Repay portal. The good news in this case is that when Delay Reason is Cancelled train the free text box appears allowing the planned and actual itinerary to be entered. [I was in a similar situation recently at the end of a long day up North and a whole string of Peterborough-Horsham trains cancelled together with Arun Valley services re-routed via Hove due to planned engineering. The on-line claim was Successful at first attempt. I entered the ticket number from my first split ticket on the journey (which was a Virgin Advance).]

Unfortunately for long journeys with Split Tickets which are Delayed En-route you may have to wait for the inevitable Denied - Journey Not Found and then use Re-Submit where the free text box allows the full intended and actual itinerary to be entered. Have been in this situation and had a Successful claim at the first re-submit. The free text box is quite small though so cramming in all the change points and times requires use of station codes and other abbreviation techniques.

Not tried the Freepost PDF form and can only see disadvantages in using that.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just select 'other' as the reason on GTR's website. This usually works for me.

Saperstein

Thanks have done this now and briefly explained the situation to Southern, see what they say.

bubieyehyeh

You have to be brief with a limit of only 255 characters on the GTR delay repay site.

Saperstein

Thanks for all the advice on this, just to update you, I got an email from Southern and they agreed for a full refund of £21.80 - Delay of 60-119 minutes, which is already showing as eVouchers in my Southern account.

Status
Not open for further replies.