• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Success 2nd time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEN1969

Apologies for a new thread: Had my managers' interview on Tuesday got the email today saying I'd been unsuccessful and to try again in 6 months. This was and still is my dream job. After 25 years in the Met Police I decided now was they time to move on. I honestly thought the interview went really well and I was constantly told that I fitted the criteria perfectly. Thought I'd answered all the questions correctly and knew all the company facts that were asked. Anyway - please be brutally honest - how many of you were successful with your second application? Also do I just get 2 chances at the interview stage (applied with GTR) but can apply elsewhere? Or is it only 2 chances and then I can't apply to any other TOC. All the threads say different things. Can't say how gutted I am, just wish I knew where I'd gone wrong. Do I stand a chance 2nd time around?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Louby

Apologies for a new thread: Had my managers' interview on Tuesday got the email today saying I'd been unsuccessful and to try again in 6 months. This was and still is my dream job. After 25 years in the Met Police I decided now was they time to move on. I honestly thought the interview went really well and I was constantly told that I fitted the criteria perfectly. Thought I'd answered all the questions correctly and knew all the company facts that were asked. Anyway - please be brutally honest - how many of you were successful with your second application? Also do I just get 2 chances at the interview stage (applied with GTR) but can apply elsewhere? Or is it only 2 chances and then I can't apply to any other TOC. All the threads say different things. Can't say how gutted I am, just wish I knew where I'd gone wrong. Do I stand a chance 2nd time around?

If this is the dtm interview there's no limit , it's the mmi which you only get 2 shots

Twedds74

Hi, I also got the unsuccessful email last friday for my DMI last week, I too was truly gutted! As I felt it went well and answered every question, This was my 2nd DMI, after passing assessments with MTR, last year. Anyway, not giving up until I get my dream job too.

Nkay11

Really gutted for you guys as i had a DMI for the same role. Luckily been invited for a medical now. I can only think that maybe they have a quota that they can't exceed?

Don't give up, i'm sure you'll both be successful next time.

pop79

Sorry to hear that you didn't pass. Iam in a situation even worse than you .I passed the DMI first time with GTR in March and then failed the last hurdle MMI before medical.i can't describe enough how much iam gutted.four months now since my failure and iam still feeling terribly down.

JohnFM

The obvious answer, Pop, is to stop feeling sorry for yourself and get on with your life. You went for a job and didn't get it - move on.

Imagine how low you'd be if you had a real tragedy to deal with?

Tough love but needed.

I can only think that maybe they have a quota that they can't exceed?
Saying "I can only think" then saying the rest of that sentence only shows that you don't! No they do not have a quota and must therefore fail the rest. That kind of talk is ill informed and ridiculous. They choose the best from the rest.

With regards to answering the questions and feeling very confident that you answered correctly, MEN1969; anyone can very easily spout a load of company facts. Anyone can sit there and feel smug about knowing that you answered the questions about company facts. Anyone can look confident when answering those kind of questions.

What you probably did not realise is that you might have come over as a little bit conceited.

I have interviewed before and when asked what we, the company, does the subjects sometimes smile then goes on to spout a well rehearsed set of company objectives.

Whilst the answer may well be correct did you hear the question correctly?
Did you add anything of your own research?
Did you hear the interviewer add, "how do you fit into the company?"?

Did you just spout the "you handle 237 million passengers a year" answer then sit back and smile until the next question? (That one is always a good one)

Did you ask any questions? Any at all? Did you look or ask about future plans? Future train fleets? New routes?

This isn't a multiple choice exam with one answer, sometimes it is not what you say but what you don't say.

Nkay11

The obvious answer, Pop, is to stop feeling sorry for yourself and get on with your life. You went for a job and didn't get it - move on.

Imagine how low you'd be if you had a real tragedy to deal with?

Tough love but needed.

Saying "I can only think" then saying the rest of that sentence only shows that you don't! No they do not have a quota and must therefore fail the rest. That kind of talk is ill informed and ridiculous. They choose the best from the rest.

With regards to answering the questions and feeling very confident that you answered correctly, MEN1969; anyone can very easily spout a load of company facts. Anyone can sit there and feel smug about knowing that you answered the questions about company facts. Anyone can look confident when answering those kind of questions.

What you probably did not realise is that you might have come over as a little bit conceited.

I have interviewed before and when asked what we, the company, does the subjects sometimes smile then goes on to spout a well rehearsed set of company objectives.

Whilst the answer may well be correct did you hear the question correctly?
Did you add anything of your own research?
Did you hear the interviewer add, "how do you fit into the company?"?

Did you just spout the "you handle 237 million passengers a year" answer then sit back and smile until the next question? (That one is always a good one)

Did you ask any questions? Any at all? Did you look or ask about future plans? Future train fleets? New routes?

This isn't a multiple choice exam with one answer, sometimes it is not what you say but what you don't say.

No need to be so condescending towards people....

MEN1969

Might thoughts too. Wasn't after sympathy just some advice for the next one but thanks for such a long reply Nkay11

scott118

Might thoughts too. Wasn't after sympathy just some advice for the next one but thanks for such a long reply Nkay11

Might thoughts too?
Nkay11, long reply? - 5 sentences combined?

Good luck with your second application, should you wish to progress it, further.

Nkay11

Wasn't my reply mate... It was John. I just found it a bit harsh and uncalled for towards those who had just failed. There's ways of putting things and that wasn't the right way in my opinion.

MEN1969

Apologies Nkay11 put the wrong person down, thank you for your comment. Well done scott118 you spotted the deliberate error (not) straight away and thanks again for the support. I wasn't having a go at JohnFM he has his opinions.

dakta

Apologies Nkay11 put the wrong person down, thank you for your comment. Well done scott118 you spotted the deliberate error (not) straight away and thanks again for the support. I wasn't having a go at JohnFM he has his opinions.

Overlook the manner in which it's written, there is some good pointers in there tbh, and yes it's always worth having another go, though do move on in the meantime, getting one's dream job can be a lifetimes work.

Trico382

Overtly supercilious attitude and unnecessary reply. But to the original poster I wish you all the best and stick with it bud

ComUtoR

Established Member
Platitudes do not help either. Sometimes a short sharp kick in the ass is what's needed. Another poster said something similar recently and the response was the same. "you screwed up, get over it, move on, reapply etc etc." The OP in that thread took it rather well and realised where he was going wrong.

MEN asked for "brutally honest" and that's what he got.

All the OPC stuff only gets two shots and out. The DMI is more subjective than the rest of the process and you can reapply to the same TOC after a set period and apply to other TOC's whenever you want. Some set previous pass/fail criteria but as long as you meet it then NOTHING stops you applying.

Train Drivers have a very different attitude to most of the people who do fail and come her and whine like petulant children. Its clear why they failed.

Get busy doing. Re-apply or don't but certainly don't sit there feeling sorry for yourself or feel like it was any way unfair.

Twedds has a great attitude, he failed but hasn't let it bother him. He is determined and has other applications in. That determination and positivity goes a long way in my book and I wish him well with his SE application.

There are many situations as a Driver where you need to have a good strength of character. The extreme example is going to work, killing somebody, then having to go back to work the next day to deal with it, little bit of time off and its back in the chair like nothing happened.

Fail in an interview and then feel hard done by and whinge on a forum or complain about condescension and lack of empathy. Meh

@MEN Don't give up, Ask for detailed feedback, reapply or apply to another TOC. Then smash it.

JohnFM

No need to be so condescending towards people....

I think you might need to sort out your own attitude before you go critiquing others!

They don't have a fail quota and to think otherwise is to subscribe to risible theories and rumours. If you didn't spout blarney someone would not have to challenge what you write!

Hope your next go works out better for you, MEN1969.

Nkay11

I think you might need to sort out your own attitude before you go critiquing others!

They don't have a fail quota and to think otherwise is to subscribe to risible theories and rumours. If you didn't spout blarney someone would not have to challenge what you write!

Hope your next go works out better for you, MEN1969.

Nothing wrong with my attitude mate. If you read the post that you're quoting properly then you'll see i began with... 'i can only think that maybe...' which suggests in no way at all that it was a fact. It was merely a thought. I clearly stand corrected which is fine but there's no need to be so aggressive in your replies is what i'm saying.

I thought the whole point of a forum was to give your views/opinions and ideas but clearly i'm wrong.

Twedds74

Platitudes do not help either. Sometimes a short sharp kick in the ass is what's needed. Another poster said something similar recently and the response was the same. "you screwed up, get over it, move on, reapply etc etc." The OP in that thread took it rather well and realised where he was going wrong.

MEN asked for "brutally honest" and that's what he got.

All the OPC stuff only gets two shots and out. The DMI is more subjective than the rest of the process and you can reapply to the same TOC after a set period and apply to other TOC's whenever you want. Some set previous pass/fail criteria but as long as you meet it then NOTHING stops you applying.

Train Drivers have a very different attitude to most of the people who do fail and come her and whine like petulant children. Its clear why they failed.

Get busy doing. Re-apply or don't but certainly don't sit there feeling sorry for yourself or feel like it was any way unfair.

Twedds has a great attitude, he failed but hasn't let it bother him. He is determined and has other applications in. That determination and positivity goes a long way in my book and I wish him well with his SE application.

There are many situations as a Driver where you need to have a good strength of character. The extreme example is going to work, killing somebody, then having to go back to work the next day to deal with it, little bit of time off and its back in the chair like nothing happened.

Fail in an interview and then feel hard done by and whinge on a forum or complain about condescension and lack of empathy. Meh

@MEN Don't give up, Ask for detailed feedback, reapply or apply to another TOC. Then smash it.

Thanks for the positive thoughts, Having just over a week now to go through in my mind what I said, I can now see where I went wrong, or what I didn't say. It's like a light had turned on in my head and am now more confident at getting through on my next go, just hope I don't have to wait too long!

ComUtoR

Established Member
It's like a light had turned on in my head and am now more confident at getting through on my next go, just hope I don't have to wait too long!

Interviews are more about how you come across than what you actually say. There is a bit of expectation of required knowledge and some criteria to meet but I've given more points to a candidate for asking relevant questions, asking for clarification, engaging with me, and general confidence than anything they said, or didn't say.

Sometimes in an interview you are willing the candidate along but they are just not coming with you or following your hints.

Be positive always. Treat it like a conversation.

The MMI is different because it is more criteria based but it is still an interview and they are looking for specific skills. Effective communication for example.

JohnFM

Nothing wrong with my attitude mate. If you read the post that you're quoting properly then you'll see i began with... 'i can only think that maybe...' which suggests in no way at all that it was a fact. It was merely a thought. I clearly stand corrected which is fine but there's no need to be so aggressive in your replies is what i'm saying.

I thought the whole point of a forum was to give your views/opinions and ideas but clearly i'm wrong.

Yes the "I can only think . . . " quote proved that you did not!

No one is saying that you can't have free speech, but don't expect folk to sit back and accept the rumours and nonsense peddled and not put you right. If you're offended I am sorry but why just make stuff up?

They most certainly don't ask "What is the best rumour that you can start as to why I failed?" Facts are what people want in order to help them progress or even start their career. Does an ill conceived nonsensicle theory that just popped into your head help the person asking the question?

If you don't know why guess? It only serves to add to the rumour mill and confuses folk.

Last edited:

MadeinWigan

MEN1969, have you received any feedback from your interview?

I failed my first interview and the feedback that I received was useful for when I interviewed for the second time. I prepared more thoroughly and used the advice that you can find on this forum to strengthen my examples and interview technique. It got me through, even if it was only to the tortuous holding pool.

There is only so much advice that can be given as we weren't at the interview with you and we didn't see the candidates that you were up against. This is where the feedback will really help you.

Keep going if you really want it.

MEN1969

I Have had no feedback, I have read previous posts and I don't think GTR are all that good at giving feedback, I have emailed the HR so hopefully may hear soon.
I hope I didn't sound too cocky in my original post I wasn't over confident I just thought it went well but clearly it didn't.

Louby

I Have had no feedback, I have read previous posts and I don't think GTR are all that good at giving feedback, I have emailed the HR so hopefully may hear soon.
I hope I didn't sound too cocky in my original post I wasn't over confident I just thought it went well but clearly it didn't.

Push for that feedback and pat yourself on the back for getting past the sift, chin up and knock em dead next time

The One

You can have as many interviews you wish as other people said.Keep trying as long you have a valid psychometric pass on system you may apply for as many you wish to.Keep trying and some thing better be round the corner. If you want my advice don't just set your heart on TOC(s) if you want to become a train driver.All the best

Last edited:

JCLeeds

Can't speak for GTR but successful on second application with Northern. It was a failed assessment first time round and successful second (though the assessments changed in that time). The first application was mentioned in my second interview and they seemed to appreciate my determination. Can see no reason why your TOC should be any different. Anecdotally, and if you look around this forum, you will find many people who spend years trying to get into this industry - you genuinely did well to get as far as you did - so knuckle down and good luck next time mate.

MEN1969

Could anyone clarify a couple of points, I have just passed the MMI with SE does that now cover all the other TOC's ?,
Also I have an application for another job within SE which I have now got an interview for (not driver related) I am slightly concerned that if I get this job it will hinder my trainee driver application. I called the HR and they were very good and said still go for it as it will not affect my driver application has anyone any thoughts on this.

Kit.Frank

If it's the standard assessment day with the MMI then most TOC's it's valid for 5 years with but some it's 3 years. I know these are the norm for validity periods but individual TOC's may vary.

MEN1969

Another question, I didn't get through the DMI with GTR in July, now Southern are asking for trainee drivers can I apply for this job or do I have to wait 6 months, I thought it was only GTR I couldn't apply for but a friend has said that I can't apply for Southern as they are the same company, this seems a little unfair as they are different operators. Can anyone clarify if this is correct.

MEN1969

Just posting that I had my DMI with SE at Grove Park last week and today received the brilliant news that I had been successful with a start date in February, now just to get through the medical. Just like to thank everyone for their advice on this thread and on the forum as a whole.
The interview was 2hrs long but relaxed and friendly (for anyone worried about the DMI).

ComUtoR

Established Member
Just posting that I had my DMI with SE at Grove Park last week and today received the brilliant news that I had been successful with a start date in February,

Guess you smashed it then <D

Status
Not open for further replies.