• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Successes to Cheer Us Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Can I nominate my little local station, Thornaby? Redeveloped in 2003, with new waiting room and staffed ticket office it's grown into a well used little local hub thanks to its excellent service (8 trains an hour) and transfer possibilities. Indeed the building was further extended over the last few years to double the size of the ticket office and add toilets too. Much of the success I have to say has been down to the dedicated staff who have been there since the office opened all those years ago!

Why don't you send this to Northern (I assume they run the station). They would surely like to know this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

70014IronDuke

Established Member
London Bridge rebuild?

I was talking to a Network Rail chap there a week or two back who said that while Kings Cross redevelopment gets lots of priase, London Bridge was a far more complicated job in terms of keeping trains running and track/signalling renewals.

I have to say, the below ground transfer space and facilities are light years away from the dingy place it used to be.

Brush 4

On a slightly different tack, clearing away ugly additions or obstacles cheers me up. The London end of Bristol Temple Meads is so much better since the ugly mail conveyor was removed. The smaller version at Shrewsbury Crewe end has also gone. Pity that was because of traffic lost to road though. General vegetation clearance around tunnels and linesides is pleasing as well, although of course it has to be done regularly to maintain it.

Halton Curve being completed on time and in budget by Network Rail, tempered slightly by TfW failure to run the new service as planned.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
London Bridge rebuild?

I was talking to a Network Rail chap there a week or two back who said that while Kings Cross redevelopment gets lots of priase, London Bridge was a far more complicated job in terms of keeping trains running and track/signalling renewals.

I have to say, the below ground transfer space and facilities are light years away from the dingy place it used to be.
Indeed, Kings Cross has hardly changed the track or signalling - that's supposed to happen in a couple of years time. But both Kings Cross and London Bridge are far better than they used to be, with St Pancras not far behind.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Halton Curve being completed on time and in budget by Network Rail, tempered slightly by TfW failure to run the new service as planned.
What appears to be route learning specials over Halton Curve started this week. One round trip, Chester to Lime Street, with two return trips between Lime St. & Frodsham Jn prior to the return to Chester. 150.278 worked this on Tuesday 12 February.

Jozhua

Established Member
Not completed on time, however 319's are running on the newly electrified Bolton - Manchester route, paving the way for less short forms and at some point Pacer Withdrawal!

ijmad

Established Member
London Bridge rebuild?

It's amazing how busy new London Bridge already is during the peaks. I suspect there was a lot of suppressed demand, i.e. people avoiding the station entirely, because the old station was so cramped you practically had to fight your way between platforms during peak hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.